EasyCPU: how to improve the cpu performance

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by EasyCPU developer, Sep 7, 2019.

1. redmop

redmop Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Throttlestop had ceased development. The developer isn't buying newer hardware to update Throttlestop support.

seanwee and joluke like this.
  2. EasyCPU developer

EasyCPU developer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Obviously it is not the same application. There are differences that I have already listed (just being able to read). I could also tell you that besides Throttlestop there is also XTU which does more or less the same things, yet this has never stopped the author of Throttlestop (luckily for you). Hundreds of people have downloaded EasyCPU in two months, which means that EasyCPU has raised some interest. I also remind you that EasyCPU is a free application: if you don't care, please don't waste your time.

seanwee and 4W4K3 like this.
  3. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If so, why isn't the author sharing the source?
    So all that work doesn't go to waste?

Closed source programs are what lead to having tons of kinda similar programs..

4. redmop

redmop Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The author doesn't want to share the source.

You are welcome to talk to the author and see if you can get it open sourced.

seanwee likes this.
  5. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    ThrottleStop consumes 0.0% - 0.1% for me and is a major selling point since I keep it on while running on battery most of the time. Too much monitoring is not always a good thing for those of us who like to run off battery for lightweight tasks.

By chance, did you try right clicking the EXE and selecting "Properties" -> "Compatibility (Tab)" -> "Change High DPI Settings" -> "Override High DPI Scaling Behavior" -> "Scaling performed by: Application / System / System (Enhanced)"? (If those settings/options are even available for you on your machine.) I have a "4K" screen that still gives me that option when running 1920 x 1080 resolution, but I'm not sure if those options will still be available to you with a 1920 x 1080 native resolution screen.

--My TS profiles cap my clock boosts uniquely per profile based on my settings I have dialed in.

--I prefer to manage my Windows power profiles manually and have mine setup accordingly. In combination with how I have my TS profiles established, I get the best of both worlds- performance and battery life. If I really wanted, I could also just set Process Lasso to handle my Windows power profile transitions based on application contexts.

--TS has an inverse profile pairing function that offers to run specific programs before/after changing TS profiles. You can choose to run *.exe or *.bat files. I don't care about this functionality myself though.

--I prefer "portable" applications and see them as a benefit in many ways. I could see an argument being made that if one is intent on tinkering with undervolting and other related settings and profiles of this potentially complex nature, one should at least know how to install / uninstall / manage the application / services / tasks and their OS correctly in the event they soft-lock themselves out of their OS via a bad UV/etc set to auto-run on boot.

--ADDITIONAL THOUGHTS:

- .NET dependencies that are forcibly installed if not present is meh to me. I understand most modern Win10 installations will or should probably already have these in place, but still... meh.

- I despise installers that do not let me easily choose which directory to install an application to. I prefer to keep my C partition as lightweight as possible and free of as many unnecessary apps as possible.

- Nobody wants to have to restart their machine after installing something. It's a PITA for so many different reasons.

:'( ... (not that I will be buying any newer hardware than what I've got for quite some time I'm sure)

Oh I can read. I am reluctantly optimistic this alternative application will one day serve as a suitable TS replacement I may be forced to use on my distant-future newest-generation machines I will one day have to purchase (that I can't yet afford) that may or may not be able to be manipulated by TS (or your software for that matter) depending on what Intel/AMD and OEMs choose to lock users out of next moving forward.

6. Maleko48

Reputations:
    My apologies for double posting, but I have a rather limited window to partake in these forums lately so I must convey all of my thoughts all at once in a somewhat condensed manner...

Is there a way to configure the default popup location since not all of us use a bottom-mounted taskbar? Or maybe just make the application remember the last location of the tiny popup window?
    upload_2019-11-4_21-1-53.png

So far I find the UI to be a little counter-intuitive and un-enjoyable to use personally, but I am trying to let it slide considering my pre-disposition and the stage of development this is currently in.

Do you intend to support a passive tray icon to indicate CPU frequency and/or temperature so we don't need to click on a non-descript taskbar icon to pop up an awkward always-on-top mini window?

What about the options to disable some of the statistics and tracking you are constantly computing in realtime? That kind of stuff is a deal-breaker if your program is to be marketed for battery life extension purposes. I mean, the undervolting alone will net you battery life improvements, but any other app that can modify those values can make the same claims as yours. The goal is to avoid keeping your CPU awake and realtime monitoring of multiple stats definitely does that.

Also, why is your most conservative power profile only using HIPM + DIPM rather than "Lowest" that allows for HIPM, DIPM, or DevSlp?
    SEE: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/72971-add-ahci-link-power-management-power-options-windows.html
    SEE: https://sata-io.org/developers/sata-ecosystem/power-management
    SEE: https://sata-io.org/sites/default/files/documents/SATADevSleep-and-RTD3-WP-037-20120102-2_final.pdf

upload_2019-11-4_21-15-58.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Look on the pict. No need for double post:vbthumbsup:
    upload_2019-11-5_4-27-18.png

8. Maleko48

Reputations:
    Yes yes I know. In my mind I felt my two posts were dissimilar enough in concept / intent it was worth keeping the posts separate for now. *EDIT* But in general I try to avoid it. ;)

9. EasyCPU developer

EasyCPU developer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    When the tryicon window is closed there is no monitoring of the sensors and no consumption of resources in this sense. If you open this window to have a look at the sensors it is obvious that this reading must be made. Otherwise, an information window does not make sense.

I cannot respond to inconsistent criticism based on nothing. I repeat that EasyCPU is a FREE application. Who is not interested can do what he wants: I have no time to lose.

Nor can I guarantee that I will continue to update EasyCPU. Especially if I continue to read certain comments (I don't mean yours): it's not worth it.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    4W4K3 and Papusan like this.
  10. Casowen

Casowen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What criticism exactly? You are basically the spiritual successor to throttlestop, and all you need is time for the community to grow to you.

seanwee, EasyCPU developer and joluke like this.