E6530 owners thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by konstantin.nd, Jul 26, 2012.

1. truckinguy

truckinguy Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Glad to see this thread somewhat active still. I love this machine. Bought one new back in 2013 for $1200.. have 5 now. One won't power up..but just bought one for $400 on ebay that's like brand new. I just use Macrium Reflect to transfer the image over to every one. Works great. Take a spare on the road and leave one home. trade batteries,etc. With a SSD it's fast enough for me.

alexhawker likes this.
  2. Wojtas

Wojtas Newbie

Reputations:
    I think that whenever my one breaks, ill just buy the same one - but I doubt it'll break. In my opinion this model was a great success for Dell. I'm planning to stick an SSD into my daily and a tb drive into the media drive caddy.

I think I've been converted from Asus onto Dell for life, the amount of support and how universal all of the laptop parts and accessories are is such incredible! (If anyone is planning to buy one, BUY ONE!!)

Another note would be how this laptop is made of some sort of indestructible material ;) The structure of this laptop in comparison to the "super new and better" laptops is just.. incomparable. Once I had the pleasure of (laughing at) holding a HP laptop by the corner with one hand and honestly I thought it would break due to how much it bent haha.

3. truckinguy

truckinguy Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    SSD is so fast with this unit.. and I agree on the build. 3.0 is great for now and my uses. I have a 750 gb drive in a caddy for storage. Plan on getting a 1 TB SSD for OS and moving the 500 SSD to Caddy.

Wojtas likes this.
  4. Wojtas

Wojtas Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello all,

So quick question here. Does anyone know how to fix or possibly maintain the scratches on the laptop shell? Please see the img attached below. Is there a way to fix these scrapes/dents/marks??

Any info would be great, google shows some answers but maybe someone has already experimented :)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks,
    Wojtas

5. abruckner

abruckner Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey, I got a like-new E6530 for 400$ including 6 months warranty issued by the second hand retailer. Compared to HP Elitebook W series, from which I migrated, the laptop is spectacular: excellent bios, logical construction, no useless/fancy multimedia buttons.

I asked the desk guy if thermal grease and pads were reapplied and he said a half-hearted yes, although he also had problems completing a simple invoice...

Specs are: i7 3740QM with NV5200m, A12 bios. I use the OEM Dell Windows 7 Pro

My CPU temps run 45-60c when idle or low activity (copy/browse) but they go up to 100-103-105c when under full load (gaming*) . Funny enough, the laptop does not shut down, although this should be maximum thermal junction temp. I borrowed (will buy later) a thermal pad and it seems to bring down the temps to 85-95c but the question remains - is there any issue with the thermal grease? Is it normal? Does throttling the CPU to State 4 (88% with 38W consumed vs 45W consumed) be advised?

The GPU temp stays 45c idle and 85c full load, these numbers do not bother me being used to Elitebooks... but should they?

* I am not a gamer but would like to play a few hours a week and all other home/work computers have OpenGL video cards...

6. abruckner

abruckner Newbie

Reputations:
    I tried my proposed solution (derating to State 4/88% meaning 2400Mhz@38W) and the temp went down to 78-81c without a cooling pad. 300MHz for 20c+ is an excellent "deal". The GPU stayed the same, maybe a touch cooler (75-80c).

edit: I also tried disabling TurboBoost from bios and this also results in temps around 80-85c (under 90c in any case). This seemes to have been the culprit.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  7. Wojtas

Wojtas Newbie

Reputations:
    Those are good idle temps, mine idles at 40-59 but i have all of the windows 7 junk disabled. I regularly clean the laptop from any dust to keep the temps low but sometimes it peaks to 75 or 80, but 85-95c is not good. The threshold for "too hot" is between 95-100c .... In my eyes, the thermal paste was replaced but maybe just not the correct one was used might want to have a look into the Arctic Silver 5 I have had personal experience with this thermal paste in my two PCs and the temps are, more than excellent ! Didn't have a chance to replace my thermal on the laptop (yet) so i cannot give you a definite answer.

Another thing is ... lets face it... this isn't a laptop designed for gaming. I occasionally play 80-90s games on dosbox (temps ok) but if i play Paladins or .. anything current the temps just go up and beyond :p Maybe there is a way to get around these temps, maybe this is the matter of software - if found that there are background processes which occur within windows host processes which can potentially turn those temps up.

Hope I helped :)

8. abruckner

abruckner Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks, in this case I will probably replace the paste after warranty wears off. I use the laptop strictly offline, so I disabled everything apart from bare necessities and Shadow Volume (for disk imaging backups).

I only play GTA 5. I bought it retail almost 3 years ago and was itching ever since. The thing is that I intend to use the laptop for audio and video rendering. These don't use GPU but I don't want to cook it either. Without TurboBoost, at full load it temps rarely climb over 85-87c and I intend to buy a decent (30$) cooling pad anyway - that should help at least 5c. I am a huge fan of the "upside down" mounting of the motherboard :oops:

Has anybody got any idea about the thermal pads (thickness on chip / thickness on memory)?

Does anybody know a current day Dell laptop (Latitude E or Precision) that is as well thought out as the E6530?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  9. Roman5

Roman5 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello everyone. I'm joining the E6530 owners club. :)

I've been using a Vostro 3550 since 2011, still have it.

But I needed a dedicated laptop just for music production and running music software. Tonight I came home with a Dell Latitude E6530 with a great spec. I think I got something of a bargain, but tell me what you think .

i7 3740QM, 16 GB ram, backlit keys, 256 SSD, 15.6" 1920 x 1080 display, Nvidia NVS 5200M, Windows 10 Pro. No fingerprint reader but I don't care about and never used it on my Vostro.

Everything works beautifully and boots up in 18 seconds. It's pretty much like new. All this for £250! :D That's about $330. I bought it privately and apparently it's liquidation stock, the person had sold four of them, all same spec. No warranty though so hope it behaves!

Only thing broken is cosmetic, part of the grill over the air vent on the side. If I want to add a regular 7200rpm harddrive, can I replace the optical drive with one but buying a special caddy, or will that only take an ssd? Here's pictures of my new laptop.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. Wojtas

Wojtas Newbie

Reputations:
    Looks very good! Yes you can replace the optical caddy with an aftermarket option "2nd Hard Drive Optical Bay Caddy"

You can also buy an external caddy for the media bay in case you need it :)