1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

E6500 configurator is missing the Bluetooth option

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by jasonsinatra, Aug 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jasonsinatra

jasonsinatra Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Dell specs states that there should be an option between:

Dell Wireless 370 Bluetooth® 2.1,
    Dell Wireless 410 Bluetooth® 2.1 with UWB

Does this mean that:

A)At this point Dell is only offering the 370 Bluetooth as default on all E6500?
    B)They have messed the configurator?

Can someone confirm that the E6500 indeed comes with BT even when it's not in the configurator?

2. yehuda1

yehuda1 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I was wondering the same thing. I asked a Dell rep on chat and he said that Bluetooth is optional on E6500 but the option is not listed yet. I asked when it will be available and he said he's not sure.

3. AndyBurns

AndyBurns Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've been speaking to a sales rep today, even *they* can't order it with either of the bluetooth modules, if you order now it'll arrive without bluetooth.

But I've been given a *much* better quote than via the web-site, so I will probably order so long as they will give a written undertaking that the bluetooth 410 module will be sold as a user-fit accessory.

E6500 with P8600 cpu, X4500 graphics, 4GB memory, 200GB drive, DVD R/W, 1440x900 screen, webcam, 6-cell battery, backlit keyboard, E-Port advanced dock, vista business downgrade, internal modem, intel 5300 WiFi, fingerprint reader - all for £1100 + VAT, free delivery by 16th Sept, not bad I thought.

4. jasonsinatra

Reputations:
    I also spoke with Dell's sales rep and he confirmed your post.

If you'll make the order now, without the BT in the configurator, it will be shipped without one. He asked me to email my configuration to him and he will hold it until the BT module is available. And he even promised to give me a better price than in the website.

5. yehuda1

yehuda1 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Nice configuration there, AndyBurns.

6. AndyBurns

Reputations:
    My previous D800 has lasted nearly six years (with a memory upgrade and a hard disk replacement, a D-bay battery to help out the flagging original battery and an swap from CDRW/DVD combo to DVDRW) so I hope a fairly well specced E6500 will serve me well too.

I suppose I'll have to buy a USB->RS232 dongle for router/switch maintenance.

7. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
  8. AndyBurns

Reputations:
    Yes, seen those before, very cute, don't know how they perform for signal strength.

The BT 410 adapter does not show up on the Dell UK website yet, but is there on the
    USA site
    , so I think I'll order the E6500 tomorrow and sort out the bluetooth later.

9. tetrismaster

tetrismaster Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does the 6400 configurator have the same problem?

10. jasonsinatra

Reputations:
    Looks like the BT module is missing from all of them. Dell's sales rep told me today that the option should be available in a few days.

11. pitz

pitz Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    WUXGA is missing from the laptops as well :(. Oh well, I have a D630 and a D830, so its exceedingly unlikely that I'll be in the market.

12. AndyBurns

Reputations:
    My sales rep just phoned me back to confirm that rather than ordering today without BT and buying the 410 mini-card later as an accessory, waiting a few days would allow it to be ordered with the laptop, he also hinted at some new discounts ...

13. jasonsinatra

Reputations:
    Exactly. I'm still waiting my offer with new dicounts :)

14. Alastair

Alastair Newbie

Reputations:
    The UK configurator seems to be varying throughout the day. Now the backlit keyboard seems to have gone AWOL. Earlier it was the camera option. The discounts seem to be be varying too. I'll wait a couple of days until the system settles down.

15. AndyBurns

Reputations:
    I depends whether you choose large business, or small/medium business; If you choose large business there is one base configuration with more options, with small/medium business there are three base configurations with slightly fewer options to choose from.

16. Alastair

Alastair Newbie

Reputations:
    I've always gone through the small/medium configurator. At first this didn't work at all as it would say the LED backlit option was not compatible with the Camera and Colour but gave you no opportunity to change them. Perhaps Dell were redirecting it in the background to the large business site whilst they were resolving some issues.

17. markbot

markbot Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It looks like all of the new Dell laptops are missing the Bluetooth options even the Precisions. That's quite annoying. I would have bought one already. I'm looking at the E6400. I'm waiting until next week to decide between the E6400 and the Thinkpad X200.

18. jasonsinatra

Reputations:
    Same here. I would have already ordered the new e6500, but I haven't heard a word from the Dell sales rep since a I spoke with him last week. He told me that the BT option should be available in just a few days... We'll see...

19. markbot

markbot Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So, are you assuming you can change your config so that it includes the bluetooth...sometime after Dell makes it available?

20. jasonsinatra

Reputations:
    Actually the rep told not to place an order before the option is available.. If the order is placed without BT there's a risk that it will be shipped without one even if the order is changed later. You also have an option to upgrade later with BT accessory, but I think I prefer to wait.. I'm just pretty annoyed that the rep has not replied my e-mail about the availability of BT modules even though he promised..