E6410 wont' hibernate or sleep - hangs black screen

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by caveatrob, Dec 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caveatrob

caveatrob Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My E6410 won't hibernate. I even shut down Dropbox before I issue the sleep command. The screen goes black, the power light is solid, and the wifi is solid. The HD light flickers.

I have to shut it down by holding Power and restart.

2. Robin24k

Robin24k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sounds like you need to reinstall Windows...

3. caveatrob

Reputations:
    Nope. This is fresh from the factory with all drivers and BIOS updated. Reinstalling Windows would take a hell of a long time and put me down for 15 hours of reloading software. People on other forums with similar problems say reloading didn't do a thing, assuming that it's a driver issue.

4. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    One possible clue: I can get my E6410 to do this if I disconnect an external HDD immediately before hibernating. I often see a gap of a minute or two before doing a safe removal of the HDD and the system reporting that it is removed (which suggests a buggy storage driver / software). Trying to hibernate during the intervening period is to be avoided. I try to remember to hibernate first and then disconnect the HDD.

However, I haven't tried to see if BIOS A06 has fixed the problem. Update to this version if you haven't done so already. There's a long list of bug fixes.

John

5. caveatrob

Reputations:
    Yeah I thought it might be several things:

1. Dropbox (almost thought that was it)
    2. Webcam (disabled in hardware manager)
    3. Bios (just went to A06 yesterday)
    4. IIS (set up a batch to close that prior to sleeping, no go)

Who knows...

6. L Bo

L Bo Newbie

Reputations:
    I got my E6410 last week with this problem. Well, hibernate worked but sleep didn't. Dell had me run the hardware test all ok and instructed me to download drivers.

I installed A06, the latest chipset driver, and a current video driver last night.

And it worked last night, on and off battery. Even woke after a 1 hour sleep. Today not so much.

I tried to power off holding power button for 4 seconds and it turned off (thought I was powering it off) and it powered up like waking from hibernate. Must be my power button setting, I don't know.

I need quick access walking in and out of accounts, never realized how much I use sleep mode on my old laptop and this issue is driving me nuts.

7. Robin24k

Robin24k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I recently setup an E6410 for a customer, and it didn't have any problems going to sleep (hibernate is disabled). It had A06 BIOS, Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Windows-provided chipset driver, and Nvidia 260.99 graphics driver. I don't remember what drivers I had manually installed, but I installed everything needed to make the unknown and generic devices recognized, except for the Broadcom USH, which I disabled.

8. caveatrob

Reputations:
    Also saw this related to USB power settings for devices that don't support powering down:

Computer does not shut down properly if Selective Suspend is enabled

There is one more setting:

Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings

Click Change Advanced Power Settings

Scroll to USB Settings

Disable USB Selective Suspend

9. L Bo

L Bo Newbie

Reputations:
    The USB was already setup that way, there was an option for "wake with usb" but greyed out. I would have tried that.

The other setting I don't see Hardware and Sound in my Windows 7 Pro 32-Bit OS, I see sound but that doesn't have power options.

Thanks, as mentioned eager to try anything (outside of replacement/hardware) to get this corrected.

10. caveatrob

Reputations:
    Honestly, I've seen this problem listed with some newer Latitudes. I doubt it's your hardware.

I suspect it's something software related, probably with a driver. Could also be anything running resident, or TCP/IP connections that stubbornly don't want to go. I've seen people mention the following hardware/driver issues that caused this problem:

1. The integrated webcam driver. I've disabled my webcam entirely.
    2. The wireless network driver for particular cards. Sadly, mine isn't one of them.

I also run Dropbox and Web Services, along with Developer software, and various Autohotkey scripts.

Keep us posted on what you find.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.