E6410 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by dezoris, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. welt

welt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I`ve this issue, too. But I think it depends on the adapter, I bought a cheap one from ebay and it did not work with my Panasonic Plasma... I`ve read several topics, that it could be that for some TVs you need to buy a more expensive (maybe the original) displayport-hdmi adapter. I don`t need the feature I just wanted to try it, so I did not spend the 35€ on the dell adapter.

2. ozdemirhan

ozdemirhan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My e6410 with core i7 - 620m runs at 40-50 on idle and top max to 100 on prime 95 stress testing... Can anyone help me out if they have similar numbers?
    My GPU was running high, I replaced the thermal compounds on all and now, GPU is good, and CPU is high, I checked three times, and still CPU maxxes out after prime95, idles are good, but I am scared ...
    Also, when I changed the thermal compound, did I lose the warranty?

I know you guys are going to say, your heatsink maynot be properly seated, it blows pretty darn hot air, and I did it already three times, and the gpu-heatsink, cpu heatsink are level, and enough as5 was applied.

the temps were high before that, but, I was scared because my computer shut down, due to a ASF2 power off thing, which I have no idea why it happened.

Oh that makes question 2)

Have you guys ever had a shut down due to a ASF2 power off in bios?

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes NvGPUPro

Reputations:
    I can help you with your GPU (and gain battery life), assuming you have an Nvidia GPU (for desktop and laptop)

I am working on a software, part of Nv GPU Pro, which sets your GPU speed (therefore play with the power it consume, and the heat it produces)based on what program you run. The software is still in development, many features don't work, but the essential works, and is rock solid. I am using on my desktop, to make my GPU much quieter at idle, without sacrificing performance when needed. And for laptop, well gain battery life, and reduce heat.

If you are interested, and can't wait for the completed, and official version of the software sometime this summer, then just PM me (this applies to anyone here.
    Basically what it does (by default), is that it sets your GPU at minimum speed when idle, and at normal speed when a software is detected to be using the GPU (based on a database that it comes with).

4. spacejamz

spacejamz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I was having this issue as well using a display port adapter from monoprice...

My problem was solved if I connected the adapter before I boot up the 6410. If I connected the adapter after the laptop was already booted, it would recognize my display, but would never display a picture...

Hope this helps you...

5. ozdemirhan

ozdemirhan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Guys, I fixed the CPU overheat issue, it was due to heatsink not making strong enough contact, now the GPU is problematic, I mean, when I put a copper penny on top of GPU, the overheating issue was completely solved for the gpu, it was topping at 85 after half an hour of furmark at highest settings, now I removed the copper penny, it gets to 100 in 3 seconds, I will put back the good old gpu thermal pad and see it was better in the beginning after all, again, copper penny did solve the temperature issue, completely with the nvs 3100m, with furmak temps maxed at 85C, but the cpu was not making great contact with the heatsink, so, I guess, I might also think about changing the penny with a copper shim, less thick than the penny.

6. Pylon757

Pylon757 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So BIOS A07 was released today.

I have a ton of pointing stick issues (jumping around the page when scrolling especially) that I hope it will fix.

7. GoodBytes

GoodBytes NvGPUPro

Reputations:
    Sounds like it's broken, or the sensitivity is too sensitive. I suggest to check for the latest drivers. I use the A00 driver of the E6410 for the touchpad/track point, works great, but I have the E6400 laptop (yes, the older laptop model).
    You can also check the mouse panel, for additional trackpad/track point options to fine tune the sensitivity.

8. Pylon757

Reputations:
    It's not sensitivity. The page randomly jumps up at times unpredictably when I use middle button scroll (the pointer does not move) Then the stick got all jumpy today, and just now the middle button died. I'm not touching the touchpad by the way.

I'm attempting driver reinstalls at the moment.

9. Pylon757

Reputations:
    Alright, reinstall did not help, went into BIOS, and none of the settings seems to help. Middle button scroll is enabled under the Dell Touchpad Menu, but it still doesn't work. Seems like a hardware issue.

All touchpad functions work fine though. I detest the touchpad, so I'm using an external mouse now.

10. bswan

bswan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    After getting good advice here, I bought this from Dell outlet a few weeks ago (with a 15% off coupon!):

* Latitude E6410 Laptop
    * Processor: Intel Core i5-520M Processor
    * Genuine Windows 7 Professional
    * 250 GB SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
    * 4 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1066MHz (2 DIMMs)
    * 8X DVD +/- RW Drive
    * Intel HD Graphics with ExpressCard
    * 14.1 inch UltraSharp WXGA+ (1440x900) LED Display
    * Back-lit Keyboard
    * Windows 7 Professional 32-Bit Operating System DVD
    * Regal Red

As suggested here, I called Dell and they sent discs for the 64-bit OS and drivers, and follow-up emails. As GoodBytes and GKDesigns said it would, this installed surprisingly easily (first time I've ever done a clean install). Everything seems to be working as it should, and this is a great computer, especially the hi res screen and back-lit keyboard! Windows even found a driver for my old HP printer which works fine.

Only 2 minor questions remain:
    --I trust it's expected for System information to report 3.80 GB usable RAM with 4.0 GB installed (clearly better than the 3.3 usable with the 32-bit OS).

--Dell recommends that I install the following Control Point Driver pack:
    ftp://ftp.us.dell.com/Control Point/Dell_ControlPoint-Security-D_A18_R269916.exe
    I have not installed this or any other Control Point drivers/applications as I have no fingerprint reader or other security devices (or need for this). I can't figure out what other things this driver pack might address and if it would be good idea to install. Your advice, as always, will be welcome.
    --Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.