E6410 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by dezoris, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GKDesigns

GKDesigns Custom User Title

Reputations:
    You could run the Dell Diagnostics CD... might confirm something. But if the error code suggests a new MB, then that might be it. With something deep and dark like this, I tend to want to start at the beginning.... test out the hardware and re-image the system drive... usually the fastest way to confirm a problem or else solve it and have a clean installation.

GK

2. mercdell

mercdell Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    we have exactly/identical issue. As you say its irregular. I was starting to wonder if it was not pressing the on button hard enough.
    we dont use standby mode so cant comment on your problem with standby.
    hth

3. rockside

rockside Newbie

Reputations:
    Just found that my memory speed is not what they described!

I purchase my E6410 in June 2010, and on the order confirmation page it says:
    -- 4 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1066MHz (2 DIMMs)

However, today I used HWiNFO32 to look at my system, it says

Memory Speed: 533.3 MHz (PC3-8500)
    Module Part Number: 16JSF25664HZ-1G1F1

I'm wondering is this a real mismatch or is due to some driver problem? Thanks!

4. mercdell

mercdell Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone got any ideas on this one.

Fresh install of windows7 shows a 'unknown device' in device manager. (Does yours?)

Installing the StMicroelectronics Freefall sensor resolves it.

However... the harddrive is a western digital wd3200bekt which doesnt support freefall. The freefall option in the bios is also disabled so i can't work out where windows7 is finding this 'unknown driver' requirement from.

Any thoughts/ideas?.

5. welt

welt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks for your answer, I forgot to mention that, but I already run the Dell Diagnostics without any results..

...but you don`t know a solution? I also thought that maybe sometimes the AC Adapter could be not plugged in enough and so the Latitude goes into the strange "power-led on, all-the-rest-off" mode, but I controlled in the last time I had the issue and the AC Adapter was plugged in well.

6. GKDesigns

Reputations:
    The freefall sensor is on the MB on the E6410. Disabling it in the BIOS may only defeat its function, but perhaps not its presence to Windows.

GK

7. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    RAM speeds can be confusing. DDR means Double Data Rate which means that data moves twice as fast (1066MHz) as the actual clock frequency (533 MHz).

John

8. cantdrive55

cantdrive55 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've got two issues with my E6410 that I've had for a few months now. The first is it takes anywhere from 5-15 seconds from the end of POST to the windows bootloader taking over. I've disabled everything except for the hard drive as a boot device. I can sit and watch it go around on every usb port scanning to see if there is a bootable device despite me having them all disabled in BIOS. Wondering if anyone else has it take this long or not?

The second issue is I'm trying to connect to my Vizio LCD tv using a displayport to hdmi cable/adapter from monoprice and I can get Windows to detect the tv but no matter what resolution I set it to no picture ever comes up on screen. I've also tested the same cable as well as another one on another E6510 and it too cannot display on the tv. Any special secrets?

9. GKDesigns

Reputations:
    1. I've had one report of 'no drive found'. Then it started booting normally. Hmmm... I was thinking I'd reseat the drive next time I saw it.

2. See if Fn+F8 toggles the active display device.

GK

10. gliderzone

gliderzone Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

A question about undocking the 6410 (running Windows 7). My previous laptop was a Dell D630 (also running Windows 7), and there was an "Undock" option in the Start/Shutdown menu.

The 6410 doesn't have this option, does anyone know if some driver is required to enable this functionality? Is it OK to just disconnect the 6410 from the dock when running :confused: ...? When I did "Undock" on the D630, all applications were moved from my external screen to the laptop screen, that was a nice feature I would like to have on the 6410 as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.