E6410 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by dezoris, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Have you tried reinstalling Flash player? Sometimes it gets corrupt.

Sometimes hard drives new need firmware.

2. dirtytofu

dirtytofu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have had my E6410 for about 9 months now and recently there have been some issues with the video driver (NVIDIA) crashing on me.

I have updated the nVidia driver to the latest one from the Dell website.

I want to try to use the latest driver from the NVIDIA website, but everytime I try to install the driver it says that my hardware is incompatible with the driver. Do I have to modify the .inf file so that it recognizes my video card?

3. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Have you tried purging Nvidia drivers from the system then reinstalling?

4. GKDesigns

GKDesigns Custom User Title

Reputations:
    You do have the nVidia Quadro NVS 3100M GPU, yes?

You should not have to modify anything. The Dell driver is the nVidia driver but maybe not the latest version and perhaps with some Dell-specific bits added for outputing audio over the DisplayPort.

Is this the nVidia driver you tried?

Also, I wonder if the video hardware is failing, causing both driver crash and driver update issues? You could run the Dell video diagnostics to see if that turns up anything.

GK

5. Schmagagled

Schmagagled Guest

Reputations:
    Can you upgrade from an i7-620M to one of the quad cpus easily on the E6410?

The 5510 and 6510 both use the same chipset (QM57 express) and they can be purchased with 720QM cpus.

Has anybody done a swap yet?

TIA

Schmagagled

6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes NvGPUPro

Reputations:
    Very simple.
    In the BIOS, set the SATA controller to AHCI (this is what you want, in any case), if it's not set to it already.
    Now, install Windows 7. You don't need to install the SATA drivers, Windows 7 already supports natively SATA. You only need to install the SATA drivers in the case you have any special SATA controllers or uncommon RAID setup.

7. thehawkMT

thehawkMT Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hello everyone.

I purchased this laptop this week, N-Series version with no OS installed and installed Windows XP Professional myself. I basically had to change some bios settings to ATA to avoid the BSOD during installation and then installed the dell drivers in the order specified on the Dell website.

My problem is this: The Windows XP welcome screen comes as usual, then the desktop with the battery power icon, audio mixer icon and the USB safe/remove icon in the taskbar and then nothing, it stops for at least one minute before it displays the remaining icons such as the Windows security centre red icon.

What could be the cause? I basically removed everything in the startup tab of msconfig and have no yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager. The problem remains.

At one stage it was freezing on the Welcome screen but after disabling wireless and the network connection, it started to freeze here.

Any idea? I have no idea what else to try. I believe the problem is from one of the running services, but which one? How can I know? I ran the OS in safe mode and it seems it didn't freeze as it does in normal boot.

EDIT: Phew, solved - the culprit was the "Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN" service, once disabled, problem went away. I just spent the last hour disabling services one by one, hopefully my fix will help those facing a similar issue :)

Thank you!

8. garmac

garmac Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Do anyone knows the part number for the FingerPrint / Biometric Reader (Either version) ? And also is there anywhere where it can be ordered beside calling Dell?

Thanks!

9. ts3433

ts3433 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Right. Just got this thing back from the warranty service (which I had to use basically right after getting it from the Outlet). Both speakers work now, and the replacement battery they supplied doesn't wiggle so much, so that's two problems fixed.

But, despite what looks like a new palmrest (came with plastic to peel off), they didn't actually fix whatever is causing the corner of mine to lift up above that smartcard reader--maybe a broken hook inside. I might have considered living with that, but on top of that unresolved defect, my LCD now has a small but distracting scratch that wasn't there when I sent it in.

I'll have to talk to Dell about this. Their quality control should've caught things like the blown speaker and the ill-fitting palmrest before they originally sent it to me, even from the Outlet (not scratch-and-dent). Things fall through the cracks occasionally. To get it back from warranty repair with one thing still broken and something else damaged, though... I'm a bit frustrated.

10. welt

welt Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I`ve a little problem with my E6410, maybe someone here has an idea what it could be...

It is very sporadic, maybe every 2-4 days and I don`t remember der first day it occurs (but I think I have the problem for max. 2 months).

The Problem:
    Sometimes (see above) the Latitude doesn`t boot. I turn down the power button and the power led lights up, but nothing else happens, the screen is black and the hdd and wifi leds etc. don`t light up.
    Another version of this problem: Latitude is in standby mode, I open the lid or push the power button, but nothing happens (only the power led switches from pulsing to glowing). When I push the power button a second time, screen and leds stay black, but the fan speeds up for 5-10 seconds.

Then I put of the AC Adapter and back, and push the power button and then everything works fine..for 2 or 3 days or so and then the problem occurs again.

For 2 or 3 times I got the problem with an LED Error Code, it was blink-on-on which means error of mainboard (from here: Dell - Support.

I switched back to BIOS A03 and also put back the original RAM but that didn`t help.

I`m in contact with the mail support and it seams that they`ll switch the mainboard next week, but maybe there`s a easier solution..?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.