1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

E6410 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by dezoris, Apr 12, 2010.

1. andrewstas

andrewstas Notebook Enthusiast

I don't think you need a caddy...

Moreover, you can also think buying a Seagate Hybrid SSD/HDD: Momentus XT Solid State Hybrid Hard Drive | Seagate

2. Robin24k

Robin24k Notebook Deity

Go with a Samsung PM810 MZ7PA256, it's OEM equipment and one of the few SSDs that are guaranteed to be compatible with the E-series. You don't need a mount or caddy for it, but since it's thinner, you'll need to rest it on the bottom of the laptop while inserting it. There's actually a pretty good deal for these right now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270953668819

3. BizcoBird

BizcoBird Notebook Enthusiast

That does look like a good deal. Does that model include TRIM support? I know that some of the Samsung SSDs don't have that, and I want to make sure I pick up one that does.

Due to its thinness, once I get the drive inserted into the laptop, it won't move/wiggle, will it?

4. BizcoBird

After doing some more research, I think I'm going to change course and pick up a WD Scorpio Black 750GB hard drive instead of an SSD. The WD Scorpio Black is a good performer (but not near SSD, of course) at a great price point. The plan is to use the money I'll save to upgrade my memory to 8GB of DDR3-1333 RAM.

Two questions for the group:

1) Does the WD Scorpio Black play nicely with the e6410? Any known issues?
    2) What memory (RAM) brand do you recommend for this system? I'll be looking for two 4GB DDR-1333 sticks.

Thanks again.

5. jro

jro Newbie

I have an E6410 I've had for about 2 years. I did not purchase the Flash module originally, but noticed there are some available online. For those who do have it, would you say it's worth adding?

6. Robin24k

Robin24k Notebook Deity

It's not worth it to add the FCM, you'll be better off upgrading the memory if it's not already 8GB.

TRIM is supported and it won't wiggle (the SATA connector holds it in place).

Unless you really, really, REALLY need the extra space, mechanical drives are on the way out (especially for portables). Recently I've been pushing SSDs after several of my clients had data loss due to hard drive failures. If you move the laptop while it's running (or even worse, forget to turn it off and put it in a bag), it's easy to damage a HDD that's spinning at 7200RPM. Reliability is the most compelling reason if data is important, but there's also side effects such as more speed and less power consumption. ;)

If you do insist with the mechanical drive, it'll work fine. Compatibility issues exist because of SandForce controllers that some SSDs use, so it doesn't apply to HDDs.

As for memory, I got Patriot 4GB 1333MHz sticks, which are only about $20 on Amazon, so it's a fairly cheap upgrade. You can even sell your existing 2 x 2GB to help recoup some of that cost (I sold mine for $12.50, which put $10 in my pocket after eBay and PayPal fees).

7. andrewstas

I rarely used it.
    The startup time is almost the same with Windows 7, at least with my specifications, so I never bothered to use it for real work.
    Just for testing and playing around.

Why don't you consider buying the 750GB Solid State Hybrid hard disk drive I suggested you?
    It is a great solution for higher performance (fast SATA3 interface and big cache 32MB) than the normal hard disks. Also it is almost as fast as the SSD, but cheaper and without sacrificing capacity.

Considering memory, I have just bought 2x4GB DDR3-1333MHz Kingston sticks at 21euros each.

8. BizcoBird

Thanks to both of you guys for your response. The hybrid drive sounds interesting, but I think Robin24k has convinced me to pick up an SSD. I think I really will notice a speed difference with that, and this laptop may end up lasting me another couple of years. (I only wish it had a better GPU, but there's nothing I can do about that one!)

I think I'll pick up the SSD and the memory -- I can't believe how cheap RAM is now.

Thanks again to both of you.

9. gadi1111

gadi1111 Newbie

Thinking of connecting my laptop to HDTV.
    Does anyone know if I can connect it with a displayPort to HDMI adapter and it'll deliver sound?
    I have the intel hd gpu. I read that it's possible with Nvidia, but it might be a problem with intel.
    anyone here tried it and was able to make it work?

10. BizcoBird

I ended up going this route instead of a pure SSD. Do you have this drive in your system? Any problems you've run into? I ordered this from Amazon (along with 8 GB of memory), but Google tells me that some e6410 owners are having problems with this drive.

Thanks again for the recommendation.

11. happybath

happybath Newbie

Does anyone know if the miniPCIe Latitude On module is the same from the E4200/E4300?

12. Robin24k

Robin24k Notebook Deity

No, the E4200/E4300 has a dedicated port for it. I believe the E6410 uses a Mini PCI-E card.

13. kwapster

kwapster Notebook Guru

how would i report a bios bug

14. Robin24k

Robin24k Notebook Deity

What bug are you experiencing? Does it have anything to do with disabling the webcam?

15. kwapster

kwapster Notebook Guru

no it doesnt.

I have noticed that after upgrading to the a10/a11 bios revisions, power consumption is increased dramatically (6-10 watts extra) when my alfa awus 036h wireless adapter is connected.

Reverting to a09 results in normal power consumption.

16. andrewstas

Well, I haven't got this yet, but I am considering buying it in the very near future as I am in the process of upgrading this laptop. A friend of mine that uses it is very satisfied, so I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.
    I have never heard for any problems.
    Don't forget to set the BIOS appropriately before installing the O/S in order to get the very maximum of the performance. Just configure the system's storage controller in AHCI mode.

17. BizcoBird

Thanks for the tip. I installed Windows 7 x64 on it, and so far, so good. All of my drivers (including the HD free fall driver, which I was worried about) are working fine -- no problems. I believe my BIOS is set to AHCI mode (I pre-load a driver during the Windows 7 installation), but I'll check later tonight to be sure.

The 8GB of RAM is also nice. The system overall feels a lot more zippy. I'll let you know if I run into any problems.

Thanks again for the recommendation.

18. BizcoBird

Out of curiosity, has anyone used a ViDock to hook up an external GPU to the e6410? If so, what sort of performance gain did you realize, and what graphics card to you recommend?

I really love this laptop, and I don't mind spending a bit more on it vs. buying a dedicated gaming rig if the ViDock can get me some better gaming performance. Right now, I'm playing the L4D series, but I'd like to beef up my GPU to play newer games now that I'm on Steam.

Thanks for any info.

19. kwapster

kwapster Notebook Guru

http://forum.notebookreview.com/del...5324-e6410-owners-thread-274.html#post7885593

Same problem again with my new monitor. Any ideas? should i try change the display cable this time. Would seem odd that a second monitor would go out so soon.

20. Robin24k

Robin24k Notebook Deity

If the LED backlight is going out, that sounds like a power issue, which could be either the motherboard (more likely) or the AC adapter. If replacing the LCD fixed the issue the first time, it's probably not the cable (unless you have a loose connector, check both ends of the cable).

Are you not able to transfer the warranty? With the standard 3-year warranty, most E6410's should still be covered at this point.