E6410 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by dezoris, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skewer82

skewer82 Newbie

Reputations:
    I bought this laptop from dell outlet in last week. Everthing works fine but I just noticed the bright (white) spots this moring. I've contacted customer service and will return for repair tomorrow.

Never encountered this problem before. The spots are located at the middle bottom of the LCD. The screen is 1280*800. The spots area looks much brighter than the rest of all other areas.

Anyone has any idea?

http://forum.notebookreview.com/attachments/dell-latitude-vostro-precision/53082d1279563368-bright-spots-e6410-lcd-1.jpg

http://forum.notebookreview.com/attachments/dell-latitude-vostro-precision/53083d1279563368-bright-spots-e6410-lcd-pic0719002.jpg

http://forum.notebookreview.com/attachments/dell-latitude-vostro-precision/53084d1279563368-bright-spots-e6410-lcd-pic0719003.jpg

2. broctany

broctany Newbie

Reputations:
    Never saw that, definitely call Dell. From your display, interestingly, are you in Guangzhou?

3. skewer82

skewer82 Newbie

Reputations:
    I've called them.

No, I am in US

4. seb87

seb87 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    question...

how much is + or - , the adobe rgb coverage of the 1440x900 monitor ?

autocad run good with this notebook ?

5. Jakeworld

Jakeworld Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Looking at those photos, I find some commonality with an issue I have with my own display, though in your case, the flaw is much more pronounced. I also purchased an E6410 through the Outlet, and I discovered a small bright spot on the lower left portion of the display. I can only see the flaw when viewing the display straight on, whereas viewing from the side greatly reduces its visibility. In my case, the flaw is so small that I am unable to view it at all times, unless I concentrate on where I know it to reside. In your case, however, you have a fairly obvious defect, and as a customer, you should be satisfied. Call them up and see what Dell Support can do for you. If you are hands-on, you may even be able to send you a new display without the need to mail in the entire computer. I know that others have managed to achieve this.

Edit: Having taken the time to actually read your comment, I see that you already made the call. This appears to be a series of stuck or dead pixels. Considering that they are white, they seem more likely to be stuck pixels, which may have some hope for revival, but any attempts would likely represent a stopgap solution that ultimately would be solved with a full display replacement. If anyone else has any further information on this flaw, feel free to shed some light on the situation.

6. arousal

arousal Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am experiencing the Cpu whine problem with the e6410 I got from the outlet.

Also, the touchpad is horrible, I have the dell drivers installed so maybe this is the issue? Without the driver the mouse seems to perform slightly better, but only sometimes.

And finally the back panel that is removed by the one screw seems to be kinda loose even with the screw all the way in. Is this normal? It doesnt look different but makes a sound when you hold the laptop up and tap the back panel.

Anyways, should I send the laptop back for a fix on the CPU whine? Is this covered under the basic 3 year warranty? I love everything about this laptop except for the CPU whine that occurs when the CPU isnt under any load.

7. oconus

oconus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I too had the CPU whine - just got a new one with the i7 chip, not from the outlet. I did the online tech support chat, told them about the noise, they shipped me a new CPU fan the next day and I installed it, all of 3 screws to get to it, very easy. New fan works like it should - no whine sound, just airflow.

8. Jakeworld

Jakeworld Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The problem is that the problem is not specific to an individual notebook, but to the CPU itself. Suffice to say, you risk encountering the whine in nearly any notebook with an Intel CPU, so long as the hard drive or fan are not masking the noise. One stopgap solution is to turn off SpeedStep, which should vastly reduce the frequency of clock stepping, albeit at the cost of power savings.

I honestly do not think that CPU whine is covered under the warranty, though you may have some luck convincing a representative. It all depends on who you get on the phone, and whether they understand the issue you take with the hardware. It's not really a defect, but more of a design flaw. We can all thank Intel and their poor hearing for that :/

9. gardengnome

gardengnome Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I once had a Dell XPS 1330 with cpu whining. I got the motherboard replaced two times by a technician and one replacement device. But there was obviously no solution to this problem, so I got my money back after having had the notebook for two months. I used that money to buy a E6400. It's still whining but it is only noticeable when I hold ear to the bottom of the notebook... practically a non-issue. Kind of funny that these problems reappear with the newer platform...

10. GoodBytes

GoodBytes NvGPUPro

Reputations:
    Like I said it's 100% Intel fault. Intel ignores the problem. But as long as people vote Intel with their wallet, why should they be concerned?

Lucky for us, some Intel CPU are quieter than others. Hence why I am avoiding the mobile Core i series (not to mention the fact it consumes more power over the Core 2 Duo.. but that is just me as I like my 9 hours of battery life, hence why I put that statement in parentheses).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.