e6220 vs e6320

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by davebrennan, Sep 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kkkjjj

kkkjjj Newbie

Reputations:
    dme123, can you comment on the fan noise of these two computers? Do they run often? Are they noisy? What is the spec of the 6220's you are using?

2. dme123

dme123 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi
    The fan is rarely on with either of them, but it is noisier on the E6220. It seems to be on more often when it's charging and does whine quite annoyingly. Having monitored temps and turbo core frequencies on both models, they keep CPU temps low enough to be running at the maximum possible turbo frequency pretty much all the time.

E6320s and E6330s have been the same spec, more or less. i5-2520M, 8GB RAM (2 x 4GB), backlit keyboards, Intel 6300 wi-fi, Truemobile 5550 3G cards, 256GB Solid State Drives. Performance is impressive, even with pretty heavy going stuff like video processing. To have this much CPU and IO horsepower in something the size of the E6220 never ceases to amaze me. It's hard to justify the small performance increases of the higher priced dual core CPUs considering how much Dell charges for the upgrade.

Battery life with the 30WHr battery with either model is crap - 2 to 2.5 hours. 60WHr battery is double that. That is fairly heavy use, screen brightness up, using Wi-Fi or 3G.

On balance I think I prefer the E6220. I never use an optical drive and it's just smaller and lighter enough to be a bit handier to carry around and use anywhere.

Dave

3. dalma

dalma Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for all of the good info here. I went ahead and purchased the E6220 yesterday using the 25% off Outlet coupon. I struggled between the e6220 or the e6320 but felt the e6320 was too close to being the size of last years E6410. Hopefully I made the right choice. When I get it next week, I will post up my review of it.

4. kkkjjj

kkkjjj Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks, really good info there!

I am seriously considering the 6220 as my next computer for work. I have a 6500 now and I would really like a smaller and lighter computer to carry around to meetings etc. I do not need an optical drive.

I do plan to get both battery types. I probably won't be getting the SSD though, because of the price increase.

I am "allergic" to fan noise :). I would be a light user, running Citrix for most work things, light web browsing and the occasional Word/Powerpoint editing.

5. dme123

dme123 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Consider getting an aftermarket SSD - You can get a 128GB Crucial m4 for about £100 GBP and it transforms the performance of any machine.

6. fuchstronaut

fuchstronaut Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have an e6320 and I really love it.
    The buildquality is superb and compared to the 6220 there is one thing, why i would decide for the 6320 again.
    The optical drivebay.
    You can (while running your os) pull out the OD and replace by either an HDD (which is really nice, since SSD are REALLY expensive) or another battery (thats really the feature i love most about this system).
    With that 3 cell battery in the tray and the 6 cell (which doesnt stick out too much) i can easily manage 8 hours of work with dozends of tabs open in FF and Chrome running side-by-side and quite some applications running (excel, komodo, oxygen XML editor, winamp, etc.).

The only downfall (except for the weight -- its not too heavy, but there are lighter 13" notebooks) is the crappy screen.
    It's not just the crappy resolution but the viewing angles that are just ridiculous.
    But I guess it's not better with it's smaller 12" brother.

7. kkkjjj

kkkjjj Newbie

Reputations:
    I did go ahead and order a 6220. I will look into aftermarket SSD for it.
    Dell being Dell it will take a little while before I get it...

8. theshowman

theshowman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just received my E6220. First impressions are quite good.
    The only weird thing is that the DVD burner that was included is just a bare drive, with no cables or modular bay or case.
    This is not sounding normal.
    Those who also have an E6220, could you please let me know how you are supposed to plug the optical drive to the unit?

9. Kaighal

Kaighal Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi E6220 and E6320 owners !

Could you please have a quick look at my search topic ? The E6320 is among my short list (and the E6220 was as well) so I would be very interested in what you can say about them, especially since I'm looking for a very specific laptop config.

In particular, I would really like to know if a mSATA drive can be installed on either of these laptops, and if you have had any eGPU experience with them.

Thanks a lot in advance :)

10. davebrennan

davebrennan Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    We ended up ordering one e6320 and one e6420 off the Outlet using the discount code. (Both the users wanted optical drives, one wanted higher res and didn't care as much about weight).

Now, let me start by saying I've ordered at least a half dozen machines from the Outlet through the years and never had any problems, always touting the cost/benefit of that vs. buying new. But, for the for the first time, the Outlet let me down...BIG TIME!

The screen on the e6320 had a line of dead pixels an inch in from the right side. The bottom cover on the chassis seemed to be warped a bit and flexed with a hollow sound whenever you picked up the machine. Went through tech support, ran some diagnostics, was told a depot repair would replace the screen at a 7-10 business day timeline.

The e6420 seemed to have some driver issues. The trackpoint wasn't detected by the mouse driver. The wireless NIC wouldn't connect to our network (same NIC, btw, as the e6320 which connected fine). Again some time with tech support who suggested I swap the hard drives or reload the OS!

So, needless to say I'm foregoing all that hassle and just returning the darn things! Got the return shipping labels and off to UPS I go this evening.

I'm willing to give them another shot, based on past performance, and chalk this up to bad luck (although both machines on the same order...what are the odds!?). Again for the price, really can't beat the outlet, and truth be told customer service was very understanding. Now I just need to plead my case and see if I can get the discount code applied to the new purchases since the offer expired last week right after we placed the order. Anyone know how often the reissue it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.