E14 : Trackpad Discussion Only

Discussion in 'HP' started by bmzero, Jul 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eafd

eafd Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I got another chance to try out the Macbook pad, and the only difference the MB pad offers is a smoother, lower friction surface.

The MB pad still uses the top-hinged design of the Synaptics ClickPad, which makes it harder to click the higher you go up. As a matter of fact, it was almost impossible to click at the top, whereas on the the Envy you can still click. The MB pad is longer height-wise, so the increased length makes it seem to click more uniformly (even though it doesn't). Also, the button has less travel.

The only thing that really distinguishes the MB pad is that it has more refined drivers. Even though Synaptics offers more settings, features are not as refined.

2. demonhotrod

demonhotrod Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Has anyone used the 15.3.12.1 drivers from Synaptics that were released in September? I'm using drivers that must be atleast a year old, so I guess it might be worth an update regardless heh

3. Jhnboy

Jhnboy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I haven't tried them yet.
    Also, have there been any updates to the trackpad drivers / reil's or anything to better the experience since July this year? Thanks!

4. Mike415

Mike415 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I really think the F26 Envy 14 BIOS update helps out the trackpad 2 finger scrolling a bit. I use Reils.

It allows for the fingers to be a good deal closer together and still register as 2 fingers. I can actually touch them together and scroll most of the time which I couldnt do before at all.

Dont hope for it to be perfect though.

5. Somnio

Somnio Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    VERY nice observation Mike415. The separation between fingers is one of the many annoying details this pad has.
    I'm still not ready to flash F.26. Anyone can confirm this?

6. eafd

eafd Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think there might be a difference, but the fingers still have to be slightly separated with Reil's (1-1.5 cm between the contact points as of F26). I haven't tested synaptics only yet as the GUI for my synaptics pane is all screwed up, the UI elements are all over the place. I need to reinstall the driver.

Main problem was the BIOS flasher giving me a "VERIFY ERROR" message a la: Bricked Two DV6-1030 with BIOS F.21 "VERIFY ERROR" Insyde Up... - HP Support Forum

Good thing a reboot fixed the error and let me start the flash, I was worried for a second there.

Edit: to clarify, that isn't the distance between the sides of the finger, that's 1-1.5cm between the middle of the 2 fingernails. With my finger widths, that turns out to be ~6-7mm of space in between the sides of the two fingers scrolling.

7. Somnio

Somnio Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks eafd. I did not realized that Synaptics could have a Bios component for they controllers. Thats interesting.

About the flash procedure, I'm reading some nasty stories, thats why I'm waiting to flash it. HP is losing it trying to RCA sign their bios.

BTW: I'm using pure Synaptics drivers now. The "coasting" option proved to be as good as an inertial scrolling. I solved most of the fingers separation problem using the middle and rings fingers to scroll. Feels more natural this way.

8. demrala

demrala Newbie

Reputations:
    new to this board and this is my first post, so sorry if it's not in the right area. i recently started having an issue with my trackpad where if i used either of the mouse buttons (left click/right click) it would get stuck almost. i've rebooted several times and finally was able to install some drivers that i found on this site. now it seems they work again, barely though. I've only had mine for maybe 2 weeks now and I can't imagine I broke the actual buttons that quickly. Also I can no longer click and drag at all, not even with the touchpad portion. I used to be able to just double tap and hold on some text and be able to highlight the text. Now I can only double tap on text and it will either select just the word or the entire section.

anybody else have this issue or heard of it before?

EDIT: when using my wireless mouse, I have no issues at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.