E14 : Trackpad Discussion Only

Discussion in 'HP' started by bmzero, Jul 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jozer99

Jozer99 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Couple of questions about Reils app. I am a newb here to the envy 14 community, but I have read through this entire thread. I have downloaded the latest version (I think) of Reil's app, and set it up per the general consensus of the thread. I have the latest symantec drivers from the HP site.

Two finger scrolling is now smooth, but some new problems have surfaced:

1. Before I used Reil's app, I could keep one finger on the "buttons" and one on the main touchpad, and it would work the cursor normally, now when I do the same thing, it just scrolls. Is there any way to fix this?

2. I cannot disable the touchpad by double tapping the left corner any longer.

3. Finally, I find that the number of fingers it detects is sometimes wrong. I have to space my fingers apart, unlike on a macbook to do 2 finger scrolling, and a three finger scroll requires almost painful stretching of my hand. Yet I notice that the W and Z values can clearly indicate how many fingers are on the pad. Is there a way we could override the finger detection and go with a system based on W and Z?

2. sasjegbruv123

sasjegbruv123 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    thanks for the info, so if I want to stick to using your obviously much smoother and better trackpad app, I'd have to give up touchpad disabling by double tapping and pinch-zoom is what you're saying?

3. Friendly0Fire

Friendly0Fire Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    An app can add back the double-tap disabling (my in permanent development app does), but none could do the pinch to zoom, I'm afraid.

4. reil

reil Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    so there's a few remaining features that i think people want but i probably won't do, unless something changes (SDK or otherwise).

double-tap disabling: the other day, Friendly0Fire explained how to do this and i'm not willing to implement the workaround that he had to to get it to be able to re-enable. i guess i'm a bit biased since i fight hacks a lot at work, i'm not willing to back down so easily.

disable touchpad on typing: a while back, i considered implementing this but i'm not willing to use or install global keyboard or mouse hooks. too many of these can have a performance impact on the system since everything you type or mouse, goes through the hooks before the system can process it.

other than that, the only other feature that i remember being asked for is fully customizable actions, which i need a keyboard hook to implement a nice settings dialog, so this probably won't happen.

however, my source is available for anyone who wants to mess around with it and add these features.

5. reil

reil Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    1) no. the sdk doesn't tell you where each finger is, so no one can do anything about this. all it tells you is some averaged point and that there are fingers.
    2) see my previous post.
    3) your idea doesn't work. put your various areas of your palm or arm or body part on the pad, it looks exactly the same as if you used multiple fingers pressed together. if you want better behavior, you have to ask synaptics to provide richer data in their SDK. also, i don't have any problem doing minor spacing between fingers, maybe half a cm between them? i don't know why you would have to stretch them so far apart.

6. sasjegbruv123

sasjegbruv123 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    for people who want the touchpad to be disabled while they type, try paradisoft touchpad locker that bronsky recommended. I think it's great and you can adjust the delay between when you stop typing and the touchpad gets enabled.

7. zeth006

zeth006 Traveler

Reputations:
    Yep. I had maybe 2-3 instances of my touchpad inadvertently scrolling while typing yesterday, and that's after spending 6+ hours on the Envy. It really helps a lot with my productivity. I've found I get zero problems as long as I START typing without my palms touching the touchpad. After that, I can continue typing without worrying about problems.

8. Protoid

Protoid Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hardly any problems with inadvertent clicking/scrolling here. (though as I typed that I clicked with my palm... :rolleyes:)

I've noticed that horizontal scrolling does not work in some of my applications. (SciTE and Photoshop are the two I use the most)

Reil, can you please add ctrl+tab/ctrl+shift+tab as a three finger scroll action? (or custom keystrokes?)

9. HPEn14

HPEn14 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have a similar issues.. I've only used regular left clicks with mine so far, haven't did anything other than scroll on the trackpad... But, my left click doesn't sound 'normal', it's noticeably louder&different than the right-click which sounds normal.

I think I'll end up RMA'ing it even though I don't want to have to wait yet again. I waited almost two weeks to get it, and having to RMA it right-away sucks for lack of a better term.

--

I just got out the Envy, and it all over just like in the video. *sigh*

10. Friendly0Fire

Friendly0Fire Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well I know this might be a little late and most everyone is already using reil's app, but since I've most probably completed all the features I wanted on my own app I've decided to complete the UI and release it for whoever might be interested.

This is an update over my previous version (which is somewhere way back in this topic) and has a few additional features.

-Automatically disables taps in driver manager (since it overrides them)
    -One-finger tap left-clicking
    -Two-finger tap right-clicking
    -Two-finger slide scrolling with inertia (and pretty smooth using Firefox's smooth scrolling)
    -Three-finger slide super-scrolling
    -1+1-fingers dragging (I don't like double tap dragging)
    -Top-left corner touchpad disable
    -Top-right corner "back" button

It should be more stable than previous versions, it's very customizable and simple to use. If I get time, I plan to add:
    -Integrated touchpad disable when typing
    -Customizable corner zones (for all four corners, adjustable sizes and actions)
    -Making it play nice with the physical buttons (right now you can't hold a button down AND move around the cursor with a second finger)
    -Absolute mode (top-left of the touchpad is the top-left of the screen, bottom-right is bottom-right and so on)
    -Possibly a few simple gestures (most likely tracking finger movement from corner to corner)
    -Auto-disabling when external mouse is plugged in

So yeah, feel free to try it out and give feedback. Requires .NET 2.0, though that shouldn't be an issue on Envy laptops.

Download from Rapidshare
    Download from Mediafire

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.