E14 : Trackpad Discussion Only

Discussion in 'HP' started by bmzero, Jul 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skittlesdfw

Skittlesdfw Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    After using the trackpad for a few hours, I feel like this thing is just a tad too big for my use. The default placement of the keys, compared against the Trackpad, always has me laying my right palm against the trackpad, which invariably leads to me moving the mouse, scrolling, or increasing/decreasing the font size in Chrome.

Can anyone recommend a decent solution from this, aside from re-training my hands to not try and sit below the home row keys?

2. MagusDraco

MagusDraco Biiiiiiirrrrdmaaaaaaan

Reputations:
    bump the sensitivity up big time (but then you gotta use some exaggerated motions to move the cursor so you really need to find a happy medium)

palm check to max. sensitivity to 80ish% (like a tick and a half away from heavy touch)

3. Jhnboy

Jhnboy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    One thing that is somewhat bothering me is the fact that the trackpad doesn't seem to be level.
    I mean my left click side of the pad is sightly higher than the metal chasis but the right click side seems to be just a bit higher than what the left click side is.

Its subtle but it does bother me as the trackpad doesn't feel the same from both sides.

4. dexta

dexta Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Some other people have also mentioned this and sounds like its a build issue. It's suPPOSED to be all flush and even.

5. Mike415

Mike415 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think the jumpiness in 2 finger scrolling is from acceleration.

6. tornbacchus

tornbacchus GO leafs.. Wait, Nevermid

Reputations:
    Just seperate your fingers while using the touch pad by 1 cm. it works PERFECTLY. I love the touchpad. I do not have any jumps at all with using the stock synaptics drivers.

7. Skittlesdfw

Skittlesdfw Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the suggestions Magus... I've done both of these, and they haven't helped. I even tried kicking sensitivity up to 90%, but that didn't show any noticeable improvement.

Any other suggestions? I really love this laptop's design, specs, and overall build, but the trackpad issue comes up so much for me that it's starting to make me get annoyed when I use the machine, and that's not good. :(

8. Friendly0Fire

Friendly0Fire Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Small update. Now that I understand the touchpad better, I've rewritten my code (again) to perform better and be more structured. I still disable touch to click and take care of it myself for a number of reasons.

The result so far is that I have tap to click, double-click, right-click with two fingers, two fingers vertical and horizontal scrolling. Planned next is re-establishing hotspots (like the top-left corner to disable the touchpad), then three fingers gestures.

9. kamarge

kamarge Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys,

I'm happy to see other ppl in the forums taking the twofingerscroll code and building their own additions (I probably won't have much time to work on this going forward but will do my best). Let me know if you'd like to take over development of the app going forward.

I had a couple of hours free tonight and added a few new features to my branch of the code (will commit the changes to the goog code svn repository tomorrow some time).

-----------------------
    TwoFingerScroll for Envy v0.02
    Download link - TwoFingerScroll-envy14-v0.02.zip

+added option to use 3 finger scrolling in addition (or instead) of 2 finger scrolling
    +added option for horizontal scrolling
    +added option to create deadzone over mouse buttons, *NOTE* unfortunately this only works when 1 finger is on the trackpad, it may not be possible to add a deadzone when >1 finger is on the trackpad (at least its not trivial)
    +added option to help minimize mouse skipping when clicking the physical mouse buttons, *NOTE* this will basically disable mouse movement when 2 fingers are on the trackpad after 1 finger was on the trackpad, so those people who rest their finger on the mouse buttons while moving the cursor should disable this
    -edge scroll seems to be broken now, not sure why
    +refactored the code a bit based on some contributions via email
    +icon updated (if anyone has a better one or wants to make a better one let me know)
    -----------------------

As Friendly0Fire mentioned, adding other things like inertial scroll shouldn't be too hard. I also want to add configuration for 3 finger gestures (ala Macbook), like swipe down to show desktop or page-down etc. This also seems fairly simple to implement and would be really useful.

Adam

10. Mike415

Mike415 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks, its working well. I still have issues where if I right click and try to drag sometimes (even with finger in the box completely) it doesnt want to move the cursor. Also 3 finger scroll is very jumpy and harder to enable. Is this just my touchpad or are others getting this too.

Appreciate your work though

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.