dv6t-61XX / dv7t-61XX Switchable Graphics Discussion

Discussion in 'HP' started by brnkcv, Jun 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dave1812

dave1812 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I sure hope it's not! I really want to get another Dv6, but given that my first one was ordered April 19th and my second unit came June 1st (and defective), I'm understandably gun-shy about getting yet another one. Oh, and one thing I've never mentioned--both units had keyboards that weren't seated. I had to use my fingernail to go all around each keyboard's edges to get them to click into place. HP's assembly line needs more oversight.

2. teotuf

teotuf Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    one of my dv6 was also not seated completely - but that to me is a very minor issue.

as for your graphics problem - did you set flight simulator on performance mode? just going to make sure that you didn't miss something obvious here...

if you prefer the manual switch, i see no reason why you can't just install the driver for the dv6t-6000 version. all the switchability (manual, auto, or nonexistent) should be in the HP driver. so you can do:

1) uninstall the display drivers completely - windows should default to vga mode of ugly 800x600 or something

2) download and install the manual switchable drivers from hp support - Software & Driver Downloads HP Pavilion dv6t-6000 CTO Quad Edition Entertainment Notebook PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

3) if installation fails for any reason (aka not hardware not recognized etc...) use universal extractor to extract the actual drivers from the spXXXXX.exe and install the drivers individually.

given that they are using the same hardware, i see no reason why that wouldn't work.

having said that, i prefer the automatic switching simply because it is seamless and does not flicker or freeze up my games when i do switch.

3. dave1812

dave1812 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    no, we missed nothing obvious (sigh)

4. brnkcv

brnkcv Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey, can someone take a crack at my questions? Thanks!-

5. fiveoneooo

fiveoneooo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    1.) Im not sure but I believe someone mentioned it was a hardware thing and they were not able to roll back to a driver that had manual switching.

2.)You can tell by performance and fanspeed. The fan kicks in when its going.

3.) I dont think we can roll back the drivers, someone mentioned they tried with no luck, they said they removed all the drivers and tried to install it fresh but it didnt work out, not sure why.

4.) I have not found a way to set it HyPo all the time, it is only with certain programs although it does switch very seamlessly which is nice.

6. dark rider

dark rider Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    1.) Defintely a hardware thing, as those running 11.5b with older 6770m's still see the ability to manually switch, while the new 6770m owners cannot.

2.) +1, fan and performance are two indicators. if you alt + tab out of a game while the 6770m is active, and run GPU-Z, you'll also get the correct speeds, which is an indicator.

3.) I've tried several sets of drivers, and you will not be able to get manual switching on the newer cards unless ATI releases updated drivers that allow it. Even if you roll back, you won't get the option to manually switch.

4.) I was trying to figure out an easy way to do this as well, but have not been able to come up with a solution. I was hoping by disabling the Intel HD, it would revert, but there's more to it than that due to the software implementation.

7. brnkcv

brnkcv Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Awesome answers, thanks guys!

8. teotuf

teotuf Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    no it's definitely a software thing. the switchable graphics isn't the ATI drivers - it's from the HP drivers. there reason that a "rollback" install of HP's manual switchable graphics drivers failed is most likely because the spXXXXX.exe checks for the product number of your laptop to ensure compatibility.

since the new ones are 6100, and not 6000, the setup will fail just because of a dumb reason. use universal extractor on the hp driver, and extract the actual driver itself to install, and you should be fine.

the reason why you can't disable intel is because of the way the switchable graphics is setup.

intel:
    applications -> intel HD 3000 -> screen output

ATI:
    applications -> ATI -> intel HD 3000 -> screen output

as you can see, the ATI chip takes input from applications/games, then outputs to intel first then the screen, not screen directly. so disabling intel would disconnect the screen output from the rest of your computer, and hence nothing will work.

you can see the general scheme here:[​IMG]
    notice how the only connection to the display is through the intel chip.

and read about the entire muxless (automatic) switching here: http://www.rage3d.com/articles/amd_powerxpress4_asif_rehman_interview/

and i just noticed this:
    this does not mean that the ATI chip is inactive, its just doing its work anonymously behind the scene.

9. obscurehero

obscurehero Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    nice response, and very detailed, teotuf...however I don't see you making the case for the muxed switching being a software thing. It would seem to be a hardware issue if the older models don't support muxless switching and the newer ones don't support muxed switching all other things being equal.

No?

10. Falco152

Falco152 Notebook Demon

Reputations:
    It's in inactive if no one using it.

It because the MOS is in cutoff state, where there is no current flow between the source and the drain.
    You can rip out the AMD chip out while it laptop is on, and still displaying something until something tries to use it.

The dv6/dv7 6000 series is a bit weird, it has support for both mux and muxless design. (Originally the 6000 series was supposed to be dynamic switching which didn't come out in time.)

HP Driver didn't let you install the older version cause it has a model whitelist, which is all over the place, editing just the table and inf isn't enough. Second, it was based off 11.2, requires 11.4 at least to be somewhat working, where the Windows Update version of the HP driver is insufficient, there's no CCC in it.
    You need the older HP CCC to get the manual switch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.