dv6t-61XX / dv7t-61XX Switchable Graphics Discussion

Discussion in 'HP' started by brnkcv, Jun 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brnkcv

brnkcv Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So, all of a sudden people no longer have the option to manually switch graphics on their new DVxT's. When I ordered my dv6tqe I asked on this forum many times and people said you just right click, configure switchable graphics, and you can choose which card to use. Now it seems that the newly arrived quad editions only have dynamic switching. Whats up with that? How can you get manual switching back?

UPDATE: The issue has been fixed. HP compiled BIOS F.1A on 7/22 and it was released to the public on 8/1. Click here to get it for the dv6t http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-96635-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=4063&product=5111980&sw_lang= and here for the dv7t http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-96635-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=4063&product=5112006&sw_lang= Once updated, go into BIOS and you will have the option to switch to fixed as opposed to dynamic. You can now switch on the fly and use the dGPU whenever you feel like it. Apparently openGL works fine now as well.

2. JunkStory

JunkStory Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Try installing the drivers from the HP website. Hopefully it's software related only, and not hardware. I seriously did not expect HP to get rid of manual switching because it's one of the best things about the laptop. GL

3. one33_bpm

one33_bpm Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is this true??? Dynamic Switching? I heard that it had been implemented on the new Dell Vostro, but did not hear anything about it on the new DV6t...

Update anyone?

4. fiveoneooo

fiveoneooo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes it is true, sadly.

5. JunkStory

Reputations:
    that is sad indeed. Hopefully HP will release some drivers that will re implement the feature.

6. brnkcv

brnkcv Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anyone had any luck with the 11.5b driver? Does that help? What i'm confused about is: is this only a problem with the new crop of dv6t's with the fhd screens or are the months old one also having this problem due to some driver update?

7. JunkStory

Reputations:
    My dv6t was produced on May 2 and I'm running the latest driver (May update) and not having this problem. I did not install the 11.5b driver.

8. Falco152

Falco152 Notebook Demon

Reputations:
  9. Kahn20

Kahn20 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    On the one hand, it's good to see they introduced dynamic switching. I tested out the graphics switching before I returned my first dv7tqe and it seemed pretty awful if you asked me.

However, I am definitely a power user, and I can't imagine why they got rid of the option to switch manually. To those with the new BIOS update, is there a way to disable the Intel GPU in there?

10. vorob

vorob Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Wuuut? I bought my dv6 a week ago and i have manual switch. I want dynamic one! , i wish its software thing and bios/driver update will add dynamic switch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.