dv6000t Current/ Prospective Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'HP' started by nucleus1872, Sep 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. therock

therock Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sounds like she is getting ready to strand you. If you are in your trial period send her back.

2. pete-o

pete-o Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I called HP, and after an hour on the phone with Bangalore I figured out how to do a complete system restore (hit F11 while booting up). This allowed me to restore from the partition without needing the media I purchased separately. I lost everything which was installed on the machine, but at least I didn’t need to return it.

At first the tech support guy thought I had a corrupt user profile, so he had me create a new one in safe mode and then try to launch Vista using the new user. All I got was the “Welcome” screen, which displayed for about 20 minutes. After that we decided to do the system restore, during which time the tech support guy tried to sell me some anti-virus software which he claims is the reason for my troubles.

I never had anything but freeware anti-virus on my XP laptop and never experienced a problem like this on it, so I doubt very much that was the issue. The only thing I had a chance to load onto my dv6000t before the crash was:

Stalker
    FEAR
    Cisco VPN client
    Firefox
    iTunes
    Cache Post-Relational Database (don’t ask)
    Bittorrent
    Putty

I suspect that there was actually a driver conflict of some sort. I downgraded my video card driver, and either Stalker or FEAR may have hosed my sound card driver (which was being particularly cranky during all of this). Also, my networking, like the driver support, never came up with a dialog box while it was broken, so I’m also suspicious of the version of the VPN client I was using.

For now I think I’ll just have to keep running 2 laptops, one for work (XP) and one for throw-away stuff (Vista). This is a real bummer because my other laptop is a Dell Inspiron 6000 with multiple vertical lines running across the screen (dellverticalline.com).

Next time I’m buying a mac.

3. therock

therock Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sorry to hear that. You have me knocking on wood over here. Mine has be an awesome machine so far.

4. wdlp65

wdlp65 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No doubt, my machine has been running like a champ!

One thing I learned along time ago, if it ain't broke don't fix it!

"I suspect that there was actually a driver conflict of some sort. I downgraded my video card driver"

Prolly not a good idea!

5. BigMIke_7801

BigMIke_7801 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've seen some debate as to which is better, the x3100 or the GO 7400. I'm not a gamer by any means but what I am is a web developer. I do a lot of Flash, Dreamweaver, Photoshop.

Which is the best for my needs and why?

6. virent

virent Newbie

Reputations:
    I have the dv6000t for over a month now and not happy with the bloatware that came with Vista Home Premium. I have the HP OS recovery DVD($15) which i want to use to reinstall just vista home premium without any HP tools and bloatware. Is it possible to do this?
    Also is it possible to keep the recovery partition and have it backup the newly installed vista main partition(without bloatware) in case i need to do a restore(press F11 on booting up)? I may have to install an HP tool that is on the OS recovery DVD that does this?
    I will be backing up the C:\swsetup directory to a CD/DVD so that i can use it to install any HP drivers that vista needs during installation.

7. Fant

Fant Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Use the anytime upgrade dvd to do a clean install. Just make sure you backup your drivers.

8. wgama

wgama Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anybody knows any freeware on the internet that deletes the ****ware that comes preinstaled onto vista laptops?

9. revtech

revtech Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    its not the laptop thats making the noise.....its the adapter....wierd thing is it hasnt happened lately....it happens at times...

10. longhornbsbll15

longhornbsbll15 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    is it a wierd noise that comes on and off? really high pitched? mine just started doing it today....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.