Dv6-6XXX backlit keyboard?

Discussion in 'HP' started by R3d, Jul 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandon Eich

Brandon Eich Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    After reading through a 75page forum today... I found this(literally the last post!)

kevin38423198Newbie
    Finally, i have got keyboard backlight working on my dv6!!! I used the connector for the fingerprint reader, because it's a nice feature but I can live without it. It's not optimal, because it seems like it's not getting the full +5V, but it's something!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gxn3mrj6fhb6kk7/AACA6NszygdvnBbcaOOnnx1Ba?dl=0

Here is a link to pictures of it. One picture is made while it's not in the laptop, but connected to an external +5V source. You can clearly see that it's brighter in that picture.

Mar 22, 2015

This was on his
    HP dv6-6b41ed

Now if I get the dv6 7000 backlit keyboard http://m.ebay.com/itm/New-for-HP-Pa...top-keyboard-backlit-/161413942583?nav=SEARCH

Just to make sure, I can fold the ribbon cable? Will it be backwards if I fold it tho (like the connections)??

The next thing is idk where the fingerprint scanner input is, is it too far from the end of that(backlit) cable?

2. Brandon Eich

Reputations:
    Could you send me more pics on your mobo(mine is very similar, but don't trust myself to take it apart quite yet. Lol)

3. Brandon Eich

Reputations:
    I found a used keyboard for 14 bucks I'm gonna order it. In the previous thread in mentioned(75pg) I read that somebody said it might be possible to take the back-lit backing off of the keyboard, if that's possible then transfer it onto my existing keyboard. Then pop off my keys and put those keys on(mine are not semi-transparent but the other ones should be) then I wouldn't have to worry about the folding making the pins line up backwards or anything. 1st step, order the board

Edit: also picked up a spare keyboard for my dv6-6145dx (9bucks on ebay) I'm gonna play around with the 2 before I go in and take my computer apart( never took it apart before lol) but I'm relatively confident I can do it. I worked on many Xbox 360s and a couple ps3s. With their rrod and ylod

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  4. Dedeee

Dedeee Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The best way to disassemble the PC is to follow strictly the maintenance guide of your computer, which you can find here

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product...ebook-PC-series/5082212/model/5169542/manuals

Manual direct link http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02842252

Just follow the instructions under the menu "removal and replacement procedures"

I found the manual incredibly helpful, if it isn't enough feel free to ask any help, and I'll send you some pictures if still needed

P.s. I can't open the dropbox link, seems dead... And I'm really interested! :p
    Keep us updated :D

5. Brandon Eich

Reputations:
    Confirmation of both shipped today
    HP dv6 7000(back-lit) ETA is Monday the 4th
    Hp dv6 6000 ETA Thursday the 7th.

Yeah I've read through it many times anlong with watch many videos to help familarize myself. I would like to combine with the ho logo light but I fear it's not long enough and I don't want to solder(definatle not good with that lol)

6. Brandon Eich

Reputations:

DSC_0041.JPG HP dv6 7000(back-lit) came today. it actually came off really easy. it was put on with adhesive. you can see the sticky part as the shiny parts on the black lines. i bought it used, so there is some discoloration. i dont know if it lights up, but it lines up perfectly on top of my existing keyboard.
    i was doing research and it looks like the fingerprint scanner is an 8 pin zif connector, vs the 4pin zif that i need for the backlit cable. when i take my keyboard off to add the backlit to the keyboard, can i plug the computer in to figure out which pins i need to put the backlit cable in? basically is it safe to not have the keyboard in while the computer is on(i know i need parts of the back off to remove the keyboard) ?

7. Brandon Eich

Reputations:
    My order for the dv6 6000 keyboard was canceled... :(
    However on a much better note I was on Craigslist and found a parts laptop for 20 bucks. Dv6 6190us

This has a full HD display with the proper display cable... According to some research the part numbers are the same:

6145dx:
    http://www.laptoppartsexpert.com/i-...isplay-screen-replacement-15-6in-full-hd.html

6190us:
    http://www.laptoppartsexpert.com/i-...isplay-screen-replacement-15-6in-full-hd.html

The 6190 also has the proper display cable. So I will attempt a full HD upgrade on my 6145dx

I'm going to work on it a bit with my brother tomorrow. He knows more about computers than I do. I will take pics and everything.

8. Brandon Eich

Reputations:
    IMG_20160406_143713.jpg
    It worked!!!

9. Brandon Eich

Reputations:
  10. Brandon Eich

Reputations:
    It worked!!