Dv6-6XXX backlit keyboard?

Discussion in 'HP' started by R3d, Jul 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    Yup, that'll be it. And no; there are tracings leaving the pins, so at least there's a connection. Gotta remember that manufacturers are lazy/economical; it's cheaper to mass-produce a single type of motherboard and simply leave out the parts that won't be used. Whether it functions; if you can manage to start it up with the solder blobs exposed, then a multimeter will tell you if they're powered. One or two will show voltage.

Connector would be nice, but might be difficult to find one for cheap. Maybe check junk heap of discarded pcbs? Otherwise; solder four small wires to the pins and attach their ends to the kb cable. Or solder directly, but that would make it non-detachable.

Don't limit search to Pavilions only; anything HP might fit. Law of the big numbers again. Do take care that kb cable is 32-pins/wires wide:

[​IMG]

2. Dedeee

Dedeee Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It seems there is no voltage... I guess the problem is in the bios, do you think there's a way to get it powered via software (bios patch, or something else)?

P.s. does the two big soldering points on the sides of the four pins have only a mechanical purpose (making the connector more stable)? (Anyway I also tested those two for voltage)

3. t456

Reputations:
    Possibly the default setting upon boot is powered-off? In that case you could try a HP driver that controls the kb backlight, some sort of flashy app-thingy (bloatware, usually) or there might be a simple Fn+key combination (look for Fn markings on HP backlit keyboards). And yes, has to be controlled via the bios (or EC). But here, too, there's simplicity; same bios on many systems. That there's no backlight option in bios doesn't mean it isn't there, could very well be hidden. Cross-flashing another bios is possible, yet not without risk.

The large blobs are indeed mechanical only.

4. Dedeee

Reputations:
    Found nothing in the bios options, with a rapid search I found this
    http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=ob_111429_1&swEnvOid=4060#tab6 I'll try to install it and see what happens

Edit: no luck with the program, some error pops up and the installation cannot be completed...

I'd rather avoid doing stuff to the bios, unless someone has done it first :) What if I take the power for the backlight from somewhere else? Could be from the HP logo on the display lid, or, even better, the touchpad ring (I could directly turn it on and off with fn+spacebar)... what do you think? Do you know the voltage required for the backlight of the keyboard? So I'll know what to look for, (I'll also check if the light ring cable is on its own)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks again for helping, if I'll sort something out I'll do a guide :D

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  5. t456

Reputations:
    Think 'unsupported platform' or the like? That's expected, normally an .inf mod would help, but there's no such thing with this installer. Can intercept the files needed though; during install it'll extract twice and place 'HPBLKB64.msi' in a temporary folder. While the install window is open it can be copied somewhere else and extracted. All the dll's and exe's will be there with some padding to their filenames. Remove the padding and they're exactly the same as with a normal install. Might need more work to make them function, though; registry keys, service install etc. ...

Kb backlight on my system is 5V and so is the LED logo in the display lid (non-present, but the solder blobs are powered). Practically every laptop component is either 3.3V or 5V. Touchpad should be fine too, perhaps even easier if it has an identical 4-pin socket (separate); plug in kb backlight connector and you're done. Keyboard may take more mA, but shouldn't be an issue; all very low power and they're on the same 5V rail.

Think the logo's the best solution; already has long wires, only need to disconnect (or split-off) from logo and reroute to the keyboard area (plus it's pretty useless, anyway). Might splice in slide pot to have variable output.

6. Dedeee

Reputations:
    The error was strange, translating from Italian "La finestra di dialogo SetupError ha il bit dello stile impostato, ma non è una finestra di errore" it's something like "The dialog window SetupError has the style's bit set up, but it is not an error window"...don't know what it means :)

[​IMG]

I noticed it extracting the "HPBLKB64.msi" too. As for working with registry keys and dlls I am not very skilled, and at the end it might even says simply that backlight is not supported by the BIOS... I'll try with the touchpad (which should let me turn it on and off easily, without the switch) and then the logo (and find a place for the switch on the case :D)... or maybe both :D

Edit: I'm having some difficulties in finding a compatible keyboard, I can't find the ones with u turn cables, any advice for where to look?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If it's with italian layout it's better, the ones that I've found have all a straight or curved cable
    http://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/Italian-Layout/1317085_501095351/1.html
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-HP-ENVY...809?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item25a49c5921
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-HP-...574?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aadb37976
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-HP-M6-1000-M6-1205DX-US-Backlight-Keyboard-698404-001/151718473757?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=29979&meid=6f1fdc1711f543dfae4688a44e6cad73&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=6&sd=252022323574
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Envy-M6-1000-Silver-Black-Backlit-Laptop-Keyboard-698404-001/371371932992?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=29979&meid=6f1fdc1711f543dfae4688a44e6cad73&pid=100005&rk=2&rkt=6&sd=252022323574

http://www.amazon.it/Tastiera-Itali...id=1438161079&sr=8-6&keywords=hp+dv6+tastiera
    http://www.amazon.it/Tastiera-Itali...id=1438161079&sr=8-3&keywords=hp+dv6+tastiera

any help is really appreciated :)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  7. Dedeee

Reputations:
    anything?

8. t456

Reputations:
    Just in case, the extracted files from the msi:
    HP Backlit Keyboard Controls v1.5.6.1.7z
    Ignore the U-turn; the cables can fold. Only need to make sure it has 32 pins and that it can physically reach the connector.

These will most likely run:
    Question is whether they'll fit nicely in the DV6 base. Easiest method is to inquire with the seller; ask them to measure their exact height+width. Once you know which HP 32-pin has the right size you can look for an identical keyboard, except Italian, this time.

Mind, though, that you can make any language kb into any other language kb using a sticker set ... :
    ... and switch keyboard language in the OS, then use a keyboard remapper to alter any that are still missing/erroneous.

Hmm ... thinking of sticker sets:

9. Brandon Eich

Brandon Eich Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Would it be possible to Tap into the power supply for the LED around the mouse/track pad? Then have 3 LEDs under the keys?

10. t456

Reputations:
    Sure, they're the same leds, only extended in a strip. Power draw is so slim, a few more shouldn't be a problem. Difficulty will be fitting them underneath the keys as there's usually not much room to spare. Don't think something like this will do, perhaps a thread-like type may work ...

Hmm ... glass-fiber? That way you can place the light source wherever there's room and thread the tiny strands between the rows of keys. Super glue should suffice to hold them down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.