Dv6-6XXX backlit keyboard?

Discussion in 'HP' started by R3d, Jul 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R3d

R3d Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Alright, I just got my DV6 and it's a wonderful machine, but the lack of a backlit keyboard kinda makes it a pain to type in low light.

So I have a couple questions: Was the backlit keyboard for the dv6-3000 offered in CTO rigs or was it an aftermarket part? (i.e. would there be a chance that HP would offer a backlit keyboard as an aftermarket part for the dv6-6000 as well)

Would it be possible to put the backlit keyboard for the dv6-3000 into a dv6-6000?

edit: oops, just saw the modding thread. Guess this is kinda redundant.

2. jmazz83

jmazz83 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Not sure if you found your answer, but I was looking on ebay for the same thing for my laptop and I actually saw a backlit keyboard for your model number. Just search for "hp backlit" and it should be near the top of the results.

3. jaguare

jaguare Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How much did you pay for this machine? You can get an Envy 17 with a backlit keyboard for as little as $920 when there is a 30% coupon available like there was last week. Not sure about this week...

I returned my dv6t and got the Envy 17 because of that deal.

4. dv6-6135dx

dv6-6135dx Newbie

Reputations:
    Sorry for bumping a dead thread but I didn't think it necessary to create a new one.

Question is this; will a dv7000 keyboard fit in a dv6-6135dx?

Edit: Working keyboard found see thread.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  5. Chris Duvall

Chris Duvall Newbie

Reputations:
    If there is another thread as mentioned above, please point me to it. Has anyone found a backlit keyboard that will work for the DV6-6000 series?

Will the 3000 or 7000 series work?

Any others work?

Anyone actually have one working and can comment on battery life, etc. Does it blind you in the dark? Can you turn it off?

Thanks!

Chris

6. Dedeee

Dedeee Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a dv6 6170sl and I am also interested in changing the keyboard with a backlit one, is it possible in this model? Is the whole dv6 6XXX series not compatible with any kind of backlit keyboard?

How many connector does a backlit keyboard has in comparison with a non backlit one?
    Is the only problem the lack of a connector to power the keyboard?
    Isn't there any possible workaround?

Thanks, any help is appreciated! :)

7. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    Most common is a tiny, extra connector; backlight is a separate device. Example:
    NEW For HP ENVY DV6-7200 DV6-7300 Keyboard Backlit US

[​IMG]

The cable is not just for power; you also need a way to turn it on/off and, usually, control intensity. Connector is hooked to bios or EC, so this too needs to accommodate a backlit keyboard (specific driver/app).

DV6 series has about 10 million different motherboard configurations (maybe a bit less ...). So even "6170sSL" is not enough to tell whether your motherboard has that extra connector or merely some soldering pins. Easiest and fastest is simply to look.

8. Dedeee

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Top left for the fingerprint, central for keyboard, right for the touchpad, bottom left it's for the USB and the three on the right are for the display, power button and.. something else :) is there a way recognise the backlight connector on the motherboard? Is the photo of any help?

I think the motherboard should be a "HM65 DSC HD6770/1G DUO", not that sure (I'll look directly on the motherboard asap, and maybe take another photo)

Thanks for helping!

Edit: the something else is the fan connector

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  9. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    They'll be labelled on the pcb; so keyboard would something like "KB". Backlight connector will be small; 4, maybe 8 pins. Easier to remove top cover, also consider that top cover might be different with a non-bl model; could obscure a connector simply because it wouldn't be used.

Finding the diagrams of that motherboard model would also do it (or high-res photos).

Still need to find a likely candidate for the keyboard; from that photo it'll be a model with a U-turn cable or a straight cable. As long as it terminates straight-down at the bottom and middle (some fold back). Find one like that, only with backlight will tell you where the backlight connector should be on the motherboard. Number of pins of the kb cable also need to match your current keyboard; so 24 -> 24, for instance (different types exist).

10. Dedeee

Reputations:
    I've taken several photos of the mobo but hopefully this is the only one needed :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(If that is it) is soldering a zif connector enough to get it working or the fact that simply isn't there means it is not supported?

Thank you for the response! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.