Dude, I am getting a new dell! 7390!!!!!

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by kojack, May 28, 2019.

1. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I agree with you that it's better to have replaceable hardware, and yes, I did upgrade 3 computers this past little while. What dell is doing is no where as bad as what apple does in blocking SOFTWARE updates after a few years. Rendering the older mac's essentially useless if you want to keep using newer software. At least with dell, HP and others, windows is loaded easily on 10 year old hardware without a hiccup and runs perfectly fine. My aspire 7720 with ssd and 8gb of ram skips along quite nicely for a machine thats over 12 years old. Theres no sign it's stopping any time soon. In fact, I am popping in a faster processor to speed it up a bit more.

2. Philaphlous

Philaphlous Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well I would say that the average life of a laptop is around 5ish years...at least in my book. I'm nearing my 2.5yr mark so my laptop is almost half gone in my book... Timing for a new laptop would be sometime in 2021 which by then they'll be far better hardware...can't wait. lol

3. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    @kojack, yeah it's lame that Apple blocks updates to the OS after a certain amount of time, I'm sure that's just to make some $$ on new hardware sales. The thing is, I don't think your 7720 would be as usable 12 years later if you hadn't upgraded it. You probably bought it with 4GB of ram and a mechanical HDD, which was probably middle to high-end back then. Think about having that now because everything was built in and non-upgradeable. This is why I won't buy a new XPS if the RAM or SSD is soldered.

Papusan and katalin_2003 like this.
  4. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    totally. I am not disagreeing with you. But the time of non replaceable hardware is upon us if the user wants super light weight travel devices.

5. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Sadly it's only .04" thinner but .2lb heavier, I'll stand by my way of the Apple comment, lol.

Papusan and katalin_2003 like this.
  6. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think a non-replaceable SSD is a major issue. Even if you don't intend to upgrade, you may once have an issue that needs to be debugged if it is HW or SW. It is easier if you can just swap the factory-installed original SSD back in. And you may not want to send the laptop with your data to service. And because there are no replaceable parts, this may happen more often than earlier.

> the time of non replaceable hardware is upon us

It is not so much thinner to mage a good enough excuse. iFixit shows there are devices with better repairability among even thinner tablets and smartphones.
    Don't be a sheep. Not just Dell, the whole industry is getting nasty, though it is clear that devices can be designed to be either more or less repairable. The "free market" obviously isn't working here. A new EU directive demanding repairability and availability of spare parts will kick in within a couple of years, though it has been watered down by intensive corporate lobbying and has been twisted more to the advantage of the repair industry than users (for instance, manufacturers will be required to offer kits of parts, but not individual parts to end users). There are initiatives in the US and elsewhere too.

Eason and Papusan like this.
  7. bearflag

bearflag Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks cool that you guys are downsizing. Maybe you guys will be featured on HGTV's tiny homes - lol. Seems to be a growing trend.

Anyway I really like the potential for this XPS 2in1 but my only concern is the Mag lev keyboard. I heard it's "okay". If I work on my laptop a lot I would want a good typing experience. Anyone actually use one for their day-to-day work?

8. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hahaha. I have a 2007 MacBook Pro also. I managed to get OSX working through 2018 but haven't tried to update since. Runs Win10 fine in bootcamp.

Works great with new thermal paste, but I did some more extreme thermal mods

[​IMG]

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/extreme-thermal-mods-2007-macbook-pro-3-1.810471/

9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    You have also the memory limits added in by Intel. If you go for notebooks with i7/i9 Mobile H processors all you'll get is max 16GB ram if the ODM have to use soldered ram. They prefer this way to add ram due bigger chance for miliking more money from you. You can't add in ram you buy on the aftermarket. Or if you go cheapest poosble and instead prefer upgrade with bigger ram sticks later.
    upload_2019-6-4_5-48-36.png

Ashtrix, pressing and custom90gt like this.
  10. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I am not so much worried about replacing hardware on my xps device when I get it. It is what it is, and I want that computer. I have been waiting for the 13" version of the xps 15 2 in 1 since it was released. Now, they released it. It has everything I asked for in the 13. I will take my chances with the hardware. I may even purchase extended warranty with it to play it safe.