Dude, I am getting a new dell! 7390!!!!!

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by kojack, May 28, 2019.

1. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    They answered my needs with the new xps 13 2 in 1. Mag lev keyboard, 32gb ram, good processors, 16:10 4k screen, etc. WHITE IS NICE. I have not seen if they are releasing any other color. my 5000 will be passed on to my son. But the new xps is a KILLER system.

Punisher5.0 likes this.
  2. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    "Unfortunately, everything here is soldered to the board – RAM, the CPU, and SSD meaning you cannot upgrade anything in this laptop post-purchase."

3. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Well that's a shame, they went the way of the Mac. I guess I'm out on that one...

Spartan likes this.
  4. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That's ok, I will just order a top spec one and I wont have to change anything this time. The compact power I need is in the new 2 in 1.

Spartan likes this.
  5. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @custom90gt well the good news is that this XPS 13 2-in-1 has a vapor-chamber style (a la razor) cooling system.
    Hopefully, it will trickle down to other models in the future.

Vasudev, _sem_ and custom90gt like this.
  6. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It's going to be interesting when I get this device. I have my lowly little dell 5000 2 in 1 right now with 16gb of ram, 1tb SSD and low spec intel processor. It's not even a core i3. But guess what, it skips along fine when I am editing photos and videos etc. I can't wait to see how fast the new xps 13 2 in 1 is going to be doing the same tasks. I will do a side by side comparison video to show the difference.

We (both my wife and I) are getting new xps machines because we are planning to be 100% computer income driven in 6 months to 1 year. Meaning work from home on our computers. We are massively downsizing our home to a mini home, we have trimmed all neccessary fat from our bills/expenses etc. We were living in excess for a long time. I sold a couple of businesses took all my profits from that and sunk into a new venture that failed (locals are a weird bunch here), so we have changed directions. I am working right now, as is my wife (normal jobs). We want freedom from "work". We want to take our son who has autism everywhere we can, when we can and want. Therefore being 100% computer based income is a necessity for us. We can be anywhere, do our work and have income.

trvelbug likes this.
  7. Philaphlous

Philaphlous Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I actually don't mind the idea of everything being soldered... It would seem like tech today has started to slow down in evolution and we're not seeing as drastic of changes from generation to the next. I just got my wife a MBpro latest version and based on the specs, that should last at least a good 3+ years.... and for the price I'd say it was pretty good (for a mac) (same price as my XPS15). I wish I could upgrade... that nvidia GPU looks pretty awesome compared to the 1050... It'll at least make the leap into a decent gaming chip these days. The 1050 is slowly starting to see its age....

Oh I almost forgot... I feel jipped with the 7300HQ processor from Intel... It seems to work ok but gosh its slow in multi thread compared to today's chips... Shoot even the new iphone has a higher geekbench score.... the 4 threads are disappointing these days...

8. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I have numerous notebooks from far back as 2007 running windows 10 with no issue. That's one major positive with buying non apple products. Apple decides when you need to upgrade, not you. I have a 2007 macbook. It can run a more recent OS version than what is on it. However, apple decides that it cannot and blocks it from getting newer versions because then, they can sell more devices. Dell, HP, or any other windows based computer company does not put such limitations on their devices. So, buying an XPS from dell would be a much better value than a macbook since you get 5 years out of your mac then Apple says NOPE. Where as you can get 10 plus years out of your xps and still use it just fine with the latest software.

I would not take to much out of benchmarking. My apple iphone 8 scores better in benchmarks than my dell computer, however, my computer is faster doing most things I do.

9. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    My problem with soldered everything is that when you want to refresh your older laptop you can't do it. @kojack, you just refreshed your laptops with new SSDs and even ram right? Well that's not an option anymore. Also say your MB dies and you need data off of it, well that's not happening either. Plus it forces people into paying a premium for hardware now (2-3x the cost of doing it yourself). That's why I don't have a 9575, even though I really liked it. I'm not spending $500 just to get 16GB of ram.

If Dell goes this way with all of their laptops, I'll look elsewhere. It's in every way as bad as Apple IMHO.

Eason, Papusan, Vasudev and 1 other person like this.
  10. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I’m more interested in the GEN 11 graphics that this new XPS is going to have than the actual XPS itself.
    I’m sure it’ll be a fine 2-1 but with soldered hardware a bit of a turn off, specs should be pretty good just not how they are used in this case.