Dual Band router with ATT 2wire Gateway?

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by Geronemo, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Geronemo

Geronemo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi,
    I moving into a rental community which only allows ATT as their internet provider, i've signed up for a 12MBPS connection.

Now the ATT 2wire gateway modem+router that they give with installation is G router only, the current router they had provider me in my previous resident was crap. When i ran diagnostic using xbox360s, the result showed that it wasn't even capable of stream video clips, HD content was a long shot. ESPN on xbox360 was choppy although i had a constant 6MBPS connection.

I am looking for a nice dual band Gigabit N router that can simultaneously do 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz(USB media storage port would be a big plus) that can do that following:

1) Stream content from PC to xbox360
    2) I also want to use xbox360 for viewing ESPN and Hulu+
    2) Stream content from PC to media player. e.g. WD live plus.
    4) USB storage port would be a big plus in the router
    5) The following devices would be connected to the router at all times: 2 laptops, xbox360s, 1 tablet, 2 smartphones, DVR.

Please let me know a decent Dual Band N router that can do all the above and attach to the Gateway 2wire modem+router.

Also USB storage port would be nice :D

Thanks a lot guys. :)

2. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Netgear WNDR3700, Linksys E3000/E4200 or Asus RT-N56U. You will need to set your router to bridge mode or if it is set to auto switch in the firmware provided by ATT, set your router to PPoE and enter your user and password for your Internet connection. Any router should work with the 2wire set in bridge mode, my Linksys E3000 works at least. Disable wireless on the 2wire too. In any case, i'd get a router with a good CPU and at least 64MB of RAM, i get very good throughput with my E3000, the Netgear should give you similar if not better throughput. Those routers ain't cheap though $120 or more.

3. BlackestNight21

BlackestNight21 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Absolutely no problems with the Asus RT-N56U. Setting the RG to 'bridge mode' can be a bit of a pain. I have the Asus set to AP mode and no problems using PS3MS

4. Geronemo

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info guys, the linksys E4200 is out of my budget which was $100.

It's between Netgear WNDR3700 and Asus RT-N56U both cost $129 at BestBuy, i can manage that.

The ASUS has 2 USB which looks as an awesome option, it also has download to USB connected device option without keeping PC on, i can see myself using that quiet frequently.

Also both routers USB ports shouldn't have any problems streaming MKV HD content right?

Also i know ASUS has simultaneous dual band, is it also true for netgear?

I guess if all above are true than both should be a great option.

Thanks.

5. tijo

Reputations:
  6. Geronemo

Reputations:
    I did go to my local bestbuy today but couldn't find the asus that i wanted to get.
    I came across WNDR 3400 at bestbuy for $79.
    All the spec were same as netgear WNDR3700.the only diff i could see was 3400 had 8mb ram vs 16 on 3700 also 3700 said dlna certified which was absent from 3400.

Both said 300/300 simultaneous dual band.

So is 3400 gonna do the job? Or will be handy capped in some way. I am willing to pay extra if its worth it.
    Also I've seen and read dlna many places but how good is having that certification on the router.

As always thanks for the help guys.

7. downloads

downloads Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    3400 is completely different from 3700- it uses different radios and different main chip (SoC)- it's based on entirely different hardware- Broadcom instead of Atheros you get in 3700.
    So if you're looking for the best go for WNDR3700.

8. Geronemo

Reputations:
    I got busy with stuff then realized i might get a good price in thanksgiving sale.

Ordered the Linksys E3000 from newegg for $70.

It's suppose to be dual band simultaneous and hopefully will get the job done fine.

Will get back after i setup it up.

thanks.

9. downloads

downloads Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    That's a very good choice for an equally good price.

10. tijo

Reputations:
    Indeed, i'd consider this a killer deal. At that price, you're getting a router with killer throughput. Mine has been working flawlessly so far.