DTR 9900k for Live Music: Clevo P750TM-R vs MSI GT76? (sustained cpu speed)

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Eric Zang, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Eric Zang

Eric Zang Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm looking for what would be the most capable low latency/live music performance system. Just one of the key aspects to this would be the ability to run the cpu solidly at higher than base clock for an extended period (2-3 hours for example). I'm thinking at very least 4.0ghz, perhaps to 4.4.

In my deductions I've narrowed it down to the Clevo P750TM-R with an i9 9900k and RTX 2070 (may do some occasional video editing), but along the way have wondered if the MSI GT76 just might perform better in regard to sustained cpu speeds due to its seemingly more elaborate cooling arrangement (more venting, more copper tubing). So far, the bits of information I've seen that related to cpu speed and thermals between the two computers seems quite close.

With this concern of thermals in mind, I figure on buying from HIDevolution primarily due to their delidding and associated thermal treatments. I haven't yet seen any other reseller offering this in their customization section.

I understand there are many other important tweaks to be made for successful audio use in my scenario, with DPC latency being an important indicator, as well as having a solid high end audio interface (so far figuring on Presonus Quantum, though I know RME is undisputed, just doesn't fit easily my physical needs).

The MSI has some cons against it compared to the Clevo 15", such as:
    • it is a bit bigger and heavier,
    • Uses Optimus (though I will most of the time be using it with external monitor only, which supposedly bypasses Optimus),
    • and I read this statement on the forums here: “The unlocked processor in GT76 is power capped at 170w (forget proper overclocking).”
    Thanks for any thoughts!

2. Eric Zang

Eric Zang Newbie

Reputations:
    Actually, now I'm also considering the Clevo P870 due to its purported better cooling over both of the above.

3. BrightSmith

BrightSmith Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Go for HID's P870 if performance is your goal. Forum users here are succeeding in running the 9900K at 5Ghz at a sustained load so 4 to 4.5ghz won't be a problem. Make sure you use Throttlestop or XTU to undervolt the CPU.

The only issue of the P870 will be its weight, compared to the P750.

4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    P870 from HID 100% if you want the best available. It's heavier that a turdbook, but no notebook is actually heavy unless you're really weak to start with. It would take lugging around at least two of them to qualify as exercise. Good things come in big packages. Compromises come in smaller packages.

Spartan likes this.
  5. Eric Zang

Eric Zang Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you, good to have your feedback, yes I'm going to go for the HID P870!