Drop your favorite quotes here :)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by wild05kid05, Apr 24, 2012.

1. wild05kid05

wild05kid05 Cook Free or Die

Reputations:
    Haven't seen such thread around here, so here it is. Share your favorite quotes here. Try your best to name the person that said it :)

My most favorite is
    "the more you strive and the more you struggle and the more obstacles you surround, the more powerful you become, the more values you have, the more money you make, the more master you have of the world and you only get there through failures, never an easy way." - daddy

"What good is sitting alone in your room" - Liza Minnelli

there are plenty more but some just haven't crossed my mind yet..

2. JM

JM Mr. Misanthrope NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    "Be fearful when others are greedy, and be greedy when others are fearful." - Warren Buffett.

"This is the issue of this election: whether we believe in our capacity for self-government, or whether abandon the American Revolution and confess that a little intellectual elite, in a far-distant capital can plan our lives for us better than we can plan them ourselves." - Ronald Reagan, 1964.

3. visiom88

visiom88 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    "Sometimes people don't know what you don't know." - A funny computer science teacher back in high school.

"Why do people buy cards? It's not because they want to say how they feel. People buy cards because they can't say they feel or are afraid to."
    -Tom Hansen, (500) Days of Summer

4. H.A.L. 9000

H.A.L. 9000 Occam's Chainsaw

Reputations:
    "semper ubi sub ubi" - People

"Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra" - Tamarian Captain

5. ViciousXUSMC

ViciousXUSMC Master Viking NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    "We require more vespine gas"

J/K even though this quote has many variations.

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

6. JOSEA

JOSEA NONE

Reputations:
    There is no justice it is just us.
    'American empire' and 'Zionist regime' nearing collapse (Mahmoud Ahmadinejad)

7. Baka

Baka (・ω・)

Reputations:
    You must construct additional pylons

H.A.L. 9000 likes this.
  8. Thaenatos

Thaenatos Zero Cool

Reputations:
    The only easy day was yesterday.

Applies to more then seals/sof IMHO.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you ~ golden rule

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

9. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    A banker lends you an umbrella when the sun is shining and wants it back when it rains. -Not sure

Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there. -John Wooden

Don't mistake activity with achievement.
    -John Wooden

10. Jarhead

Jarhead Perfectly Sane

Reputations:
    "When I was an adolescent, I was obsessed with having many commercial things, cars, clothes, stupid things. Now that I have all that, I conclude/understand that the superfluous things can turn to you into a very stupid idiot-type. In East Germany there were very few things, but there was also a feeling of solidarity that no longer exists. Now we are up to the neck in consumption, the ego, the individualism. Now before friendship, it is merchandise." -Till Lindemann

----------------------------

"You pretend to buck the system, pretend to be a rebel, claim to hate rules. But all you do is substitute your own rules for society’s. That’s a nice, simple rule – tell the blunt, honest truth in the starkest, darkest way. And what will be, will be. What will be, should be. And everyone else is a coward. But you’re wrong. Someone cowardly should not call someone an idiot. People aren’t tactful or polite just because it’s nice. They do it because they’ve got an ounce of humility. Because they know that they will make mistakes, and they know that their actions have consequences, and they know that those consequences are their fault. Why do you want so badly not to be human, House?

That’s all right, you don’t have to say anything. Just let me soak into your subconscious. You think that the only truth that matters is the truth that can be measured. Good intentions don’t count, what’s in your heart doesn’t count, caring doesn’t count, that a man’s life can’t be measured by how many tears are shed when he dies. It’s because you can’t measure them. It’s because you don’t want to measure them. Doesn’t mean it’s not real. And even if I’m wrong, you’re still miserable. Did you really think that your life’s purpose was to sacrifice yourself and get nothing in return? No. You believe there is no purpose to anything. Even the lives you save you dismiss. You turn the one decent thing in your life and you taint it, strip it of all meaning. You’re miserable for nothing. I don’t know why you’d want to live."

-Jack, talking to Dr. House in the "No Reason" episode of House

----------------------------

"I was just a child when the stars fell from the sky..."
    -Ace Combat 4 opening scene