Droidmahn's Clevo P775DM3/Sager NP9172 Review

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by droidmahn, Sep 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. droidmahn

droidmahn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'll keep this as short as I possibly can. If you have any questions I'm more than willing to answer just ask them below!

First things first. Why, out of all the current models of Clevo laptops did I choose this one? Mainly because I only wanted 1 gpu. As boring as that sounds it's literally the only reason I didn't go with a P870DM3.

I'll start with a TL;dr then go in to more details further down.

TL;dr: I love it.

My gripes would be temperatures that REQUIRE undervolting (more research to come) to attain boost clock on gpu, keyboard travel distance is too little for how thick a laptop this is and the key spacing is generally cramped despite the fact that this unit is large enough to accommodate a full sized keyboard + macro row, and sweet mother of god you could bludgeon someone to death with the 330w power brick. Oh and for some reason the headphone ports are on the right side which irritates me greatly.

What I love most would be the absolutely gorgeous IPS display that sustains 100hz without frame skipping, sheer power in this form factor, and the imo "correctly" placed fingerprint reader.

Here comes the nitty gritty.

Here's how I ordered it from Xotic
    [​IMG]

I purchased a 32gb 2400mhz ram kit and a Samsung 950 Pro 512gb NVME to add in myself. I found them cheaper than having Xotic do it. Plus it gave me a reason to open it up and take pictures!

We'll start with the screen. I ordered the 1080p IPS 75hz G-Sync display in hopes of getting it to at least 100hz if not 120hz. After a lot of testing I got it sitting pretty at 100hz without frame skipping
    [​IMG]

As configured the laptop weighs 9lbs 5.9oz and 12lbs 7oz with the power brick.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The interior cooling looks really cool *ba dum tiss* and seems like it SHOULD do an adequate job of keeping temps down, but without undervolt it doesnt. In Overwatch my CPU got to 89 and my GPU to 90 and started clocking down. Not a thermal throttle mind you, just not getting the full boost clock.
    [​IMG]

Here's some more glory shots of the internals
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'll run a suite of benchmarks later today, but if you want to see something specific let me know in the comments and I'll do my best to answer each and every question. I've ordered some IC diamond and may try and delid the CPU to lower temps without undervolt. Maybe even a little overclocking.
    Edit: BENCHMARKSSSS
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/14749906?
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/14749834?
    Unigine Heaven and Valley coming soon!

Edit 2: TimeSpy! http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/14750077?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  2. Scotster

Scotster Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Looking forward to the delid results :)

droidmahn likes this.
  3. Georgel

Georgel Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Great write-up and photos!

Thanks for sharing them with us!

droidmahn likes this.
  4. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    why try and lower temps "without undervolt"? UV is THE best method to shave a lot of C off the hardware, especially CPUs :) and no worries, its been like this ever since the 4790K, basically all desktop K cpus in clevo machines need a lil "luv" to run properly and cool ;) stock voltage is just ALWAYS way too high!

i_pk_pjers_i, TBoneSan and Georgel like this.
  5. Georgel

Reputations:
    Though it makes one wonder... Why do they run a higher voltage in the first place? I mean why for real.... There must be a reason...

also, if a single bit of information, like a single 0 or a single 1 is misinterpreted, does the entire system crash and goes BSOD, or it can work with corrupt data? I mean, working with really sensitive data, and knowing this risk of under volting, I have to ask this question :D

6. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    I need to delid mine at some point but need to source a good razor blade.

Georgel likes this.
  7. Q937

Q937 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Depends what the 0 or 1 is. If it's part of a character, maybe you'll store a Y instead of a Z into memory. Or if it's a calculation, it could turn a 7 into a 71 and render your sprite halfway across the screen. Or if it's an opcode, it could be JMP instead of ADD and then suddenly the program counter is pointing at some arbitrary place in memory.

Georgel likes this.
  8. Georgel

Reputations:
    Oh.... I need to seriously consider undervolting then and run a few benchmark tests to see how stable it is!

9. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    Look up 'Rockit cool' and get a delidder for $30. No vice needed... and full proof :)

Georgel likes this.
  10. droidmahn

droidmahn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Added some benchmarks

Georgel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.