[Drivers] HP ENVY 15-1XXX (INTEL)

Discussion in 'HP' started by justinkw1, Oct 17, 2009.

1. jcrysis

jcrysis Newbie

Reputations:
    Can you please update the original post; it's all distorted. Thanks!

2. justinkw1

justinkw1 Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I'm working on it - we just implemented an add-on which allows HTML code to be formatted properly (again), and in the process of checking/updating any posts that have HTML in them. :)

3. jcrysis

jcrysis Newbie

Reputations:
    I have been referencing this thread for a long time every time I reformat. This resource is truly invaluable; thank you for doing this.

4. N123

N123 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    For anyone still interested. I decided to resurrect my HP envy 15 1xxx recently to run some security camera surveillance software. I updated it from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 without any problems/special tricks . . . I didn't run into any problems with the video card driver like I experienced with the very difficult upgrade from Windows 7 to 8. Now if you're upgrading from Windows 7 directly to 10--can't say if that would be as easy as it was from 8 to 10...

5. Lilo85

Lilo85 Newbie

Reputations:
    ^
    I Just upgraded from Win 7(64 bit) to Win 10(64 bit) after installing a new motherboard(580125-001 old factory seconds from aliexpress) - the old one gave out finally after 6 years.
    Every thing is fine except below few niggles
    1)Cant adjust brightness anymore - its always running on max (iam using the latest beta AMD crimson driver) - have to wait for a driver update from microsoft or AMD - as this is not a concern for me i didnt check to rollback to WHQL certified older AMD driver in win 10 - maybe it doesnt have this brightness adjustment problem.
    2)Manually needed to download and install the latest intel raid driver https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...echnology-Intel-RST-RAID-Driver?product=55005
    to prevent a BSOD while using speedfan utility.
    3)Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6200 wifi in my Envy (model 15t -1100) doesnt have an official intel driver yet http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005559.html
    but the win 7 driver might have persisted into win 10 and i have no problem in my wifi connectivity ( i didnt do a clean install of win 10 , i upgraded it - i suggest to not do cleaninstall as finding drivers for these old laptops can be a pain).

Finally my review of this machine is largely positive after 6 years of usage.
    I changed AC adapter(due to unreliable earthing it died after 3 years in a small display of pyrotechnics),battery(became bloated after 3years and finally died),harddrive(300GB drive started making sounds (4th year) - so replaced 1st with a OCZ 120 GB SSD (after it failed after 2 years cameback to a 1TB old fashined spinning drive - sata ones give adequate notice before they fail and your data wont be unrecoverable!) finally the motherboard itself (the laptop was not turning on for few days when ever it was shutdown(powerbutton used to give a single LED blink), the new mobo from china costed 100 USD shipping included) in that particular order over the 6 years.
    During the 6 years,I ran the machine more or less 24x7 as a primary desktop machine (didnt lug it around much) - internet browsing,downloading torrents and as a media server for others.

Other maintenance in the 6 years of ownership
    1)Reseated the cooling fans with thermal paste (i think 4 times in 6 years)
    2)Changed the trackpad ribbon cable once (after it lost its edge due to pulling it out from mobo during maintenance) - anyway i use the wireless mouse now as i find it more handy.
    3)Trimmed the edges of the keyboard ribbon cable twice (whenever the backspace and g keys stopped working) - again probably due to more than the design number of pulls (while opening the laptop inside).
    4)Dusted the brushless motor casing of the fan once when it was making some noise during spinning - put a drop of lubricant in it.
    5)Generally cleaned the laptop and fans by opening case maybe 6 times during the 6 years.

Most of my student life was without air conditioning in a tropical hot and humid country so the laptop is pretty much a beast in taking heat damage more so as it was 24x7 on (albeit it was seated on a
    Cooler Master U3 cooling pad)

I find Win 10 is not bad at the core once you disable all the garbage "features" like cortana,built in apps etc.
    I suggest to upgrade to it before the final date of July 31st.
    For those who still kept this machine lying around but not using it due to mobo dying out - i think installing a new mobo is not such a bad option.
    Laptops dont come in such serviceable by amateurs designs (technical service costs a bomb for macbooks )anymore , especially these thinner by day ultrabooks - every laptop(including the macbooks) will die due to mobo failure without cleaning and maintenance unless you have a dustfree airconditioned room.
    So envy 15 is still worth to keep around.

6. Lilo85

Lilo85 Newbie

Reputations:
    Have and update on the brightness fix for this model.
    Those who have updated to Windows 10basic/creators/creators fall would have faced with the brightness struck at max - and unable to reduce it.

The fix I found on net which worked for me is :
    >Open regedit and in the edit menu use find to search for the key "KMD_EnableBrightnessInterface2"
    It will be found some where inside this key path Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\......
    Change value of "KMD_EnableBrightnessInterface2" to 1 from 0.
    Sometimes you may also find a key "MD_EnableBrightnesslf2" in the same location, if u find it change its value also to 1 from 0.That's it.

Open device manager to disable and then reenable the graphics adapter AMD 5800 once and restart. The brightness control will start working from then on.
    I am running AMD crimson edition beta driver on Win 10 fall creators version.
    One benefit of creators update is all the niggles with Bluetooth were gone.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017