[Drivers] HP dv6-2XXX / dv7-3XXX / dv8 / HDX16 / HDX18 (INTEL)

Discussion in 'HP' started by justinkw1, Jul 30, 2009.

1. 0mi

0mi Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks so much for answering my questions, that makes a lot of sense to me. You've really helped me out and I'm sure many others by maintaining this thread.

I have another question that I hope you can answer: My notebook has a first gen i7, and I know it supports Turbo Boost but the drivers you have listed only support the i5 processor? What do I do to install it for my i7 then?

2. justinkw1

justinkw1 Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Right - the standalone Intel Turbo Boost Technology driver is only compatible with the first generation Core i5 processors. I used to have a dv6t-2000 Quad Edition (Core i7), and it would refuse to install the TBT driver. I don't think there was ever a reason determined, but the feature seemed to work automatically without the use of a driver.

3. justinkw1

Reputations:
    11/20/2012
    • Updated: Intel Chipset Device Software package, version 9.3.0.1025.
    • Updated: Intel Chipset Device Software package, version 9.3.0.1026.
    • Updated: Intel WiFi Link driver (and software), version 14.3.2.6 (legacy) / 15.3.1.2 for Windows 7.

4. Berde

Berde Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    None of them work on HP dv6-2160ep

5. justinkw1

Reputations:
    If you had already applied a previous version of the Intel Chipset Device Software, there's a chance that nothing was updated if you tried one of the newer packages. This is because the specific driver components within these new packages are the same as those in the older package (and what's already installed on your system).

6. Axel Foley

Axel Foley Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    As the title of this post says, finally I found out a consistent procedure to make my HDX18 fingerprint reader (Validity VFS201) work both at the OS/driver level (Win7 and Win8) and at the application level (works in web browsers too).

It was a long time that I was working on it because the current published drivers and relevant software combination didn't work consistently; I found out the problem when I reinstalled Win7 due to the switch to my new OCZ Vertex 4 SSD drive. When I reinstalled, the drivers and software published right now didn't work on the fresh OS installation. I made it work in some way by using all the old driver versions and DigitalPersona older sw releases but it was a mess, every once in a while fingerprints were not recognised, the device didn't work after hybernation and Biometric Devices (control panel) didn't recognise the device.

So last night I migrated my HDX18 Win7 Ultimate to Win8 x64 (Pro version + MediaCenter) and I faced the same issue...fingerprint didn't work with the current published drivers+Digitalpersona sw combo, so I got mad and I decided to solve the problem at any cost.

To make the long story short: I solved the issue and finally came out with a consistent and tested procedure that works in all Win7/Win8 (x86+x64) HP notebook environments and I thought to share it in this community first because it helps me solve issues on my HP notebooks quicker than HP support very often, particularly regarding drivers...;)

Here's the drivers and software you need to download:

1. Digital Persona Fingerprint Management Application (FMA) with Validity WBF v4.3.34.0 by Validity [sensors supported: VFS201, VFS300 family, VFS5011, VFS5111, VFS5131]
      • Only in the case you have an HP notebook with VFS451 or VFS471 sensor, you need to download the specific version for them: v4.3.100.0
    2. ​HP SimplePass v6.0.100.252 by AuthenTec [supports Win7/Win8 in both x86/x64 flavors]
    Installation procedure:

1. First of all, if you're not installing on a fresh-copy of Windows, make sure to uninstall any previous Validity fingerprint driver (use device manager to uninstall it), older software app (DigitalPersona, SimplePass etc.) and Validity DDK/WBF packages (use control panel's Programs and Features panel to uninstall these). Then reboot. After reboot, make sure that you have an unidentified device (Validity fingerprint reader), that means that Windows doesn't have a proper driver for it. Also, make sure that in the uninstallation list of Windows there's no trace of the apps uninstalled and Validity DDK/WBF older versions.

2. Unpack item 1 above: you will find a setup executable file and 3 subdirectories: before executing the setup file WBF_DP_FMA_Setup.exe, rename/delete the subdirectory named DPPersonal_FMA. This is because the setup will first install the necessary WBF drivers (required for Biometric Windows APIs to communicate with the fingerprint reader) and then the DigitalPersona FMA (Fingerprint Management Application). DigitalPersona FMA only allows to manage fingerpint enrollment, it doesn't manage web or application passwords. Since we have a more complete software available for free (see point 2 above, HP SimplePass) we don't want the installer to execute the second step of the process. After you execute the setup you will notice that it will work on the driver installation and then it will try to execute the DigitalPersona setup but since the directory isn't there anymore it will fail with a file/dir not found error; don't worry this exactly what we wanted, the installation of the WBF drivers and nothing else.

3. Check in Control Panel that you now have a Biometric Devices entry, click on it, and (if everything worked fine) it should list your fingerprint device. There is a Properties link under the name of the device: click on it and you will have access to the device properties (you can do this through Device Manager too, it's just a shortcut), check that it is working fine and that the driver version installed is 4.3.34.0. If everything's ok, it means that the hardware, driver and the Windows Biometric services are communicating well. So we can go on to install the software application.

4. Unpack item 2 above: you fill find one executable file, run it and it will install the latest (v6.x) HP SimplePass software (free version) developed by AuthenTec for HP that will work both on Win7 and Win8. It's a full-featured fingeprint reader management application, it allows you to enroll fingerprints, enable Windows logon biometric authentication, allows you to manage website passwords, quicklaunch functionality, etc. Now play with the app, enable windows logon authentication, enroll your fingerprints and enable all the other modules you want. If you need a User Guide, you can download it here, it's actually for an older version of the software (v5.4), but it gives you an idea.
    These are the official sources I used (after lots of googling through the web) to gather the information and find the right combination of driver and software:

1. Validity website news article (January 5, 2011)
    2. AuthenTec Support Site page for HP SimplePass
    3. My brain: luckily for you it's not readable...:D
    Please let me know if the procedure worked for you and in what environment, I tested it under both OSs in a fresh-install and also in an "upgraded" environment and was satisfied of the results.

Hope to be of any help to the HP users community, we're all in the same boat mates...;)

Alessandro (aka Axel)

7. mrmichaelhallett

mrmichaelhallett Newbie

Reputations:
    OMG Thanks so much.
    Saved me hours installing and tweaking Windows 8 x64 on my HP DV7t- 3000 quad i7.

Nice work thanks for sharing. :hi2:

Michael

8. jefnel

jefnel Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sir I owe you big time!! dv8 here running windows 8 with the VFS301 sensor and I'm happy to report that your procedure is a complete success. Thanks again man.

9. Axel Foley

Axel Foley Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Michael: glad to know it worked and that it was useful for you. :)

Jefnel: nice to know it worked also for you, when I come to Jamaica (it's on my bucket list) you can offer me a beer...:)

Thanks to both of you for reporting back.

10. hpw7user

hpw7user Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you very much for this thread.