Drivers for ATI 5650 and 6630 for HP Envy 14

Discussion in 'HP' started by ironman, May 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fat Dragon

Fat Dragon Just this guy, you know?

Reputations:
    Just for a data point:

I recently reinstalled Windows 7 x64 on my CTO Envy 14-1000. I went here for the latest compatible switchable GPU drivers (posted Jan. 18, 2012) and then successfully updated directly to 12.10. I have some issues waking from sleep, especially when I sleep on battery and wake on AC (possibly due to automatic switching when plugging/unplugging), but I haven't had any other problems.

I've seen some posts saying this machine will only work with drivers up to 12.4 on Windows 7, but that hasn't been my experience. The sleep issue's a bit of a pain and I might dig a bit deeper into it at some point, but that's been the only issue and I can't certify that it's an issue with the AMD driver.

2. ironman

ironman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    thank you for the input Fat Dragon!

I only tested past 12.4 and windows 7 with the envy 17 and it gave a BSOD.
    Another user posted BSOD with an Envy 14 windows 7 but didnt say which generation so I assumed the driver does not function on windows 7 until further testing.

3. rmartinezdl

rmartinezdl Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    alright so I sold my envy 14, it was showing its age, and I needed to upgrade, sadly I had no money and thats why I sold it, Im so sad and excited at the same time for the new rig, but so many memories with my old envy :(

4. blizard.wizard

blizard.wizard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just had a catastrophic driver failure.

To remedy the problems i was having before, I just did a clean install over the Christmas break. Come Jan 21st, I was using it just fine. Powered down, and woke it up and noticed CCC.exe was not running. Checked the event manager, and turns out just an hour before CCC was reported as faulting, and the Kernalbase.dll was the faulting module.
    So, I did a system restore to the 19th; I keep good backups and thought I was saved. However, even after a restore, nothing was fixed. The machine booted with intelHD graphics, and failed to even recognize the ATI card.
    I did some quick and dirty driver cleaning and re-installed the drivers. First the updated Win8 stock drivers, then 12.10.
    Now the ATI card only half-way works. There's no brightness, no switchable, no power management.
    I'm very quickly tiring of this process every month, and I haven't installed anything since the rebuild; all the support going out to the Envys has been awful, and buggy. I just want something that works now.

EDIT: Even trying to switch graphics cards results in the uninstall of the ATI Card. HOW?
    Seriously considering parting this Envy out so I can get something stable. I can't have it crashing when I need to to school work.
    Its got a radiance screen so someone wants it right?

5. demonhotrod

demonhotrod Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So I took a gamble and installed 13.1 on my x64 Windows 7 Envy, it all seems to work well except for the brightness controls (don't work at all) and there is quite a long delay in getting the monitor to display if you switch power supplies whilst the lid is closed (so moving from AC to battery and vice-versa). If I could get the brightness controls working, i'd be pretty happy and probably keep 13.1, but if I can't... probably roll back

Anyone else tried it?

6. lsr1

lsr1 Newbie

Reputations:
    Okay I have Envy 14-1190ea and did a clean Win7 64 install.

No matter what I do I can't get any 5650 driver to work. I followed the instructions in post 1 to the letter:

1. download stock AND latest driver (and 11.2 if Envy 14 10XX)
    2. disconnect from internet and shut down.
    3. go to safe mode.
    4. go to device manager and remove the drivers for both Intel and ATI cards and choose not to save the driver software.
    5. restart.
    6. open any ATI driver update setup file and choose remove all ATI software.
    7. restart.
    8. install stock.
    9. restart.

I used the 8.771.1.0 (sp50656.exe) stock driver. On reboot I get a black screen and reboot in a loop.

Any help is much appreciated.

P.S. flashed BIOS to F.26

7. rmartinezdl

rmartinezdl Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    the first restart after the safe mode uninstall of devices, did you let the PC install the new hardware?

you must let it install new hardware, then restart and then apply the drivers you downloaded. the restart loop is because you did something wrong between stock and latest driver.
    try staying with stock and see if that solves the problem.

8. hquan

hquan Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a problem with the lastest update 13.1. I can't adjust luminosity of screen. However, it still works with Intel graphic.

9. demonhotrod

demonhotrod Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That seems to be a common problem with the new ATI drivers, I had the same problem with 12.x that I could never fix. I eventually rolled them back to the stock drivers

10. hquan

hquan Newbie

Reputations:
    Well, did you try the version 12.4 ? I tried install 12.10 but it couldn't solve the problem. Finally, i installed the 12.4. And it seems to be ok.
    In fact, i had some graphic bugs in the game LOL with the stock drivers. Thus i don't want to roll back to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.