Drivers for ATI 5650 and 6630 for HP Envy 14

Discussion in 'HP' started by ironman, May 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rmartinezdl

rmartinezdl Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I rolled back go w7, it was too much hassle, I installed AMD High Definition driver from hp website and on top of that installed 11.10 (those where the only ones that worked on w8) BUT you must insatll em with admin rights an w7 compat mode!

2. repus.jonathan

repus.jonathan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just to check given the above post.

I thought as long as we do a clean install and just use leshcat drivers 12.9 for Hp envy 14 1st gen, everything works fine without hassle?
    If not, what is the procedure to get everything working?

3. markomarko

markomarko Newbie

Reputations:

I've pulled the trigger and installed 12.10. It works OK - mostly. No BSOD, no stability issues, however - switchable graphics do not seem to be working. According to anandtech, this should be fixed with 12.11 (currently in beta).

Furthermore, after installing the driver the laptop seems to think that I am running some sort of a multi-monitor setup, and my cursor gets lost to the left hand side of the screen (presumably is somewhere on the non-existant screen 2). Also, have had problems after installation because I was getting the black screen instead of a login screen! Fixed that by click and then typed the password blind. This brought up the desktop, where I was able to change the latop screen to screen 1, which now displays the login screen correctly!

Overall, I am 80% happy how W8 works on envy 14 (12xx) - now that I've gotten it working. If you don't play games, I suggest sticking with intel graphics, at least until 12.11 is released. Or living with a few tradeoffs, as described above. Or perhaps there is a simple solution that I am missing!

Edit: I've managed to get rid of the quasi multi-monitor setup - plaid with CCC a bit. However, did get a few black screens in the process, and struggled a bit to get the normal login screen. 90% happy now - would still like to get switchable graphics back.

4. ap11

ap11 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Would you mind posting a step-by-step of what you did to get it working on Windows 8? I saw this link on the first post of this thread, but it didn't exactly work for me.

I have Win 8 Pro official release build, and I've been having a lot of trouble getting the display to work right. I put a new hard drive into my Envy 14t-1000, and did a clean install. For a while, I was just getting a black screen after the Windows boot screen (before seeing the log in), and it took me half the day to figure out that Windows thinks I have an external display attached. (If anyone's having a similar issue, pressing the Windows key + p + down arrow will switch between displays and get something showing on your screen.)

I don't care about switching between AMD and Intel if I can just get the AMD 5650 to work. I've disabled the Intel card in the device manager, but then in the notifications bar it still has an icon saying I'm using Intel graphics.

Anyone have any idea on how to get rid of the 'ghost' monitor on Windows 8?

5. new_vaio_F

new_vaio_F Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I tried win 8 pro and experiencing a lot of headache! I have the first gen Envy 14 1XXX and tried numerous tricks to get the switchable graphic to work, I managed to get the ATI driver to work but as a result the FAN kept on turning on all the time and there is no sleep option! I left my computer occasionally and this is just unacceptable, after few days I decided to go back to win 7. Good thing I make a system image before attempting this journey.

Folks, until HP release a Win 8 driver, dont even bother trying...just a waste of time!

6. rmartinezdl

Reputations:
    Well I managed to get switchable graphics working, what I did was, go into HP WEBSITE and look for your ENVY 14 model drivers, mine was 1110NR, download display AMD HIGH DEFINITION driver, run it on win 7 mode (THE EXTRACTED FILES, C:/SWF/YOUVERSION). I used 11.10 and worked perfectly!

7. new_vaio_F

new_vaio_F Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    11.10??That was like really old driver...

8. rmartinezdl

Reputations:
    that was the only one that didnt gave me problems back then, the latest "windows 8 compatible" was giving me a BSOD when installing display driver, I think it was 12.7 or something, and the other ones besides 11.10 were giving me crappy performance, right now Im using 12.10 on w7x64 and its working great, I gave up on w8!

9. repus.jonathan

repus.jonathan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How do Leschat 12.10 drivers work for the envy 14 1st gen? Any problems and if not, what is the proper way to ensure it works on my envy 14...thanks so much!

#on windows 8

10. rmartinezdl

Reputations:
    Leschat? dont download modded drivers just download from 12.10 from here:

http://www2.ati.com/Drivers/mobile/12-10_mobility_vista_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql_net4.exe

install them over stock drivers, if you dont know how to do this:

1.Restart your pc in safe mode (Press f8 during startup screen).
    2.Go to DEVICE MANAGER, and then Uninstall AMD RADEON HD xxx and Intel HD. (Check delete software for this device).
    3.Start your PC in normal mode.
    4.Go to control panel, Uninstall a program, and then uninstall AMD INSTALL MANAGER.
    5. Select EXPRESS UNINSTALL ALL AMD SOFTWARE.
    6.Let windows finish installing the 2 devices it detected.
    7. Restart in normal mode.
    8.Install 12.10.

Enjoy? This is what worked for me, I have a w7 ultimate x64 clean install, but this should work if you have stock OS installation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.