1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Driver for 8800M GTX that does not suck?

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by _GZ_, Feb 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theriko

theriko Ronin

this may be a stupid question, but are you just ticking the box, or are you creating a custom res at the same time as well?

If you aren't creating a res, then the cp might just untick it because there are no non windoze resolutions there...

2. sohail99

sohail99 Notebook Consultant

OK! Finally i realised that every system is compatible with a different driver!!

But, thats kinda odd as all of it is the same hardware(8800m GTX):confused:

Anyways, in my case the stock clevo drivers(176.02) gave a low score of about 8500! that too with modded bios!:( :confused:

Then i switched over to 177.79 with modded inf frm lv2go!(with modded bios for 8800m GTX) i got 8982!!!:(

See for urselves! - [​IMG]

Then when i was fed up with all of this, kobe_24 helped me!:) Thanks a lot for that man! i really-really appreciate that!:) :) :D

So, i formatted my HDDs and did a clean install of vista(cpu stock, gpu stock:) NO OC!)
    Drivers used - Clevo 176.02 WHQL!

Got 3DMark score of 9232 straight away!!:D

Pic - [​IMG]

Ran another test just to be sure!:) got 9223!

Pic - [​IMG]

After that, just out of curiosity i tried Xtreme G Mobile Force drivers(currently,there's only one listed on their website)

Got a disappointing score of 8821!?:confused:

Pic - [​IMG]

Then i tried 175.75 frm lv2go!
    Important Note-
    Apparently, these are the only drivers that allow u to OC ur mGPU using the nvidia performance tools utility(i use v6.02, which has to be downloaded separately)

So, i thought lets OC a lil bit and see what happens!:eek:

Here are the results! Got 9301! -[​IMG]

Still, i thought something was not right! so i again fully uninstalled the driver and reinstalled it!!:)

Ran 3D Mark and got 9314!!!
    NOTE - this one is without any OC!!:D

Got a whole 13 pts improvement!!:eek: lol!:D

Pic - [​IMG]

Finally, i'm happy with this score!!:D

NOTE - After the clean install, NO modified BIOS was used!(obviously!:p )

CPU OC

I'll try to increase the score further from here on via CPU OC for which Audigy has provided a wonderful guide(using setFSB)!!:D

Here's the guide - http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=249470

Thanks Audigy:D !

Many ppl here like kobe_24, Nirvana etc. have already passed the 10K Mark with cpu oc!:)

I hope i to am able to reach 10k mark and if i'm lucky, even go beyond that!:D
    -----------------------------

btw, i found another guide on How to update your video drivers the RIGHT way !!:D

Link - http://www.notebookforums.com/thread204406.html

Thanks to Fenuxx from notebookforums!:D

What do u guys think? is this guide OK ??:confused:

------------------------------

I wrote this cuz i had been searching around for the right driver but couldn't seem to find one as most ppl don't mention the driver they're using and all!

I hope this post helps other people looking for the right drivers for their 8800m GTX(s) and other stuff!:)

I'd like to thank Kobe_24 for showing me the right path!:D
    Audigy for the 'setFSB' guide!:)
    Nirvana as he'd helped me acquire modded BIOS earlier!:)
    Fenuxx frm notebookforums for the driver update guide!:)

Again thanks kobe_24! I'm really great full for ur help!:) :D

Attached Files:

3. kobe_24

kobe_24 Notebook Deity

You’re sneaky; I didn’t even know you posted yet. You don’t have to thank me for pointing you in the right direction, there are really some nice guides to be found on this forum. Had I wrote them, I would be glad to accept all the acclaim? :D

Just keep working on it, but don’t over push it. After all, we want these beasts to be dependable. When you get your extreme processor, I will have to bow to you, so be ready to help me when needed.

9314 is an awesome score considering you’re using Vista, maybe I might have to test other drivers as well. Congratulations on getting your system tweaked, and can’t wait to see you break that 10k mark, GL!

4. naticus

naticus Notebook Deity

Im currently using the 175.95 drivers and they seem pretty good. The thing with GPU drivers is : unless there is an optimization in the driver (ie. 175.19+ shader optimization) or there is an issue with a driver and the game your are playing, most drivers are going to yield the same performance. The key to drivers is finding one that is stable in all the games you play.

BTW those differences in 3dmark score mean little to nothing, as you can have a difference as high as 500pts per test.

5. Big_Blue79

Big_Blue79 Notebook Enthusiast

Well, I have a 5793 that worked wonderfully for about 2 months. I was posting about 8700 3DMark06 scores. Now, I get about 4700 and every game I run is about half fps what it was. Using RivaTuner, I noticed my GPU clock speeds ramping up and down as I play a game. My GPU temp never exceeds 66 (used to run at 78), and it just seems like it's not trying anymore.

The weird thing is I did not change anything. I never monitored my GPU clock speeds before, but my temps would always reach around 78 C and fps would be amazing.

BIOS 1.00.08S
    Drivers tried: 175.80, 175.95, 174.90 (previous and current, from Sager website).

6. theriko

theriko Ronin

7. Big_Blue79

Big_Blue79 Notebook Enthusiast

Hmm... I updated to driver 180.43, BIOS 1.00.11, and KBC 1.00.09 (which seems to have disabled my fan controls), and I still have the same issue. The GPU is clocking up and down, and the fans have not actually really kicked on. Temps staying under 60 C while gaming with fans spinning up to medium at best.

There has got to be a setting where it thinks its in power-save or something, because this is ridiculous.

8. Geforce2go

Geforce2go Notebook Consultant

I've decided to update my stock driver 167.43 for the first time and have read that 174.90 and 175.95 are good ones to go for. Which would be the best out of those two. My only real concern is blu-ray software compatibility and downclocking issues.

Thanks in advance.

9. falcon2claw

falcon2claw Notebook Consultant

Im not sure about blu ray, but the best so far has been the Alienware 179.13 for me. Used have disk method to install, and made my computer think it has a 9800m GT in it.. this boosted the 3dmark score by 120 points, and Fallout 3 also runs much smoother at max settings and 1920*1200.

check here - http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=305074&page=2

10. naticus

naticus Notebook Deity

anyone try these alienware 179.13 drivers?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.