Dreadful situation Clevo P770ZM-G catastrophic failure

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Fastidious Reader, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    I don't like where this is going....

Literaly never in my life seen notebooks literally burn. Apparently 2 clevos literally went up in flames, which is odd since clevo usually builds good boards etc. but suck so bad at software.

2. Fastidious Reader

Fastidious Reader Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yea and the same series with the difference being screen size. That does leave a concern to that models design. And those that still carry the same layout.

3. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    I'd still like to know how on earth it can catch fire. I just don't see that happening. Even if something shorts, how can it short to an extend that it catches fire? I've heard notebooks catching fire by purchasing an ebay battery or a mod went horribly wrong, but catching fire just like that is absolutely new to me.

@GMLP
    Can you enlighten us what part of the board catched fire and a possible reason for it??

4. GMLP

GMLP Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    See my post here

5. Fastidious Reader

Reputations:
    Read the post and it was exactly the same thing. Everything stock normal then smoke and flames. All from what looks to be that exact same position.

6. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    So it's the power supply which surged to much amp into the system causing the fire. Welp, I'll stay away from those P7xxZm's for now, they seem scary to me.

7. GMLP

GMLP Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    To be fair the laptop had had a month of hard shutdown before the final firy death. The 4790k and 980m combo, no delidding and basic IC Diamond, plus 3 years of AAA gaming, dust and no repaste I felt all played into this.

I thought it was just another shutdown when I heard the pop sound and smelled plastic burning.

8. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    Not really since this is obviously caused by overload, if anything the lack of repaste etc. should throttle down the components causing them to drain less electricity.

9. Fastidious Reader

Reputations:
    This is now sounding like a failure of some components in the power supply itself. The draw of those high consumption parts over a period of time causing some type of wearing and eventual failure.

A failure over almost the exact same period of time give or take some months.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  10. Fastidious Reader

Reputations:
    What power supply did you have with it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.