Dreadful situation Clevo P770ZM-G catastrophic failure

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Fastidious Reader, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chastity

Chastity Company Representative

Reputations:
    No, then you have to deal with MSI garbage support. (I've seen the horror stories from them too) Every maker makes machines that will fail, it's a part of the business. Ideally it's a small percentage, and part of shopping is knowing whether the reseller will be around in 1-2 years.

@Fastidious Reader If the motherboard is shot, you may want to look at a new notebook instead, as it can be upwards of $800+ for BGA mobo replacements, since they have CPU and GPU on them. Plus you also don't know how much collateral damage you have sustained, like the memory modules or secondary boards.

At least with a new system you have a new warranty from a new vendor, and you know it will work.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  2. Fastidious Reader

Fastidious Reader Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yea did that went with one that directly built systems and not repack Sager units that would then be sent to Sager if heavy maintenance. But it was just bad luck things went wrong.

All that probably extra cost makes me nervous putting down another few grand on a unit. No matters how needed it is.

3. Chastity

Reputations:
    There are systems that perform well and aren't bank breakers. Where do you live?

4. Fastidious Reader

Reputations:
    Ohio area, dunno any builders of note that aren't in California or Nevada now.

5. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Maybe this is what you mean by 'builder's of note', and they're a Clevo boutique not Sager (and also not a Prema Partner), but isn't AVADirect in Cleveland?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    Vistar Shook likes this.
  6. Fastidious Reader

Reputations:
    Never thought to look. Yep all the way up out towards Cleveland. Other end of the state from here. But as you note it is Ohio. Might be worth a shot. What's been the average relationship with them and buyers?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  7. Chastity

Reputations:
    There's also MicroCenter :) (gotta pitch those PowerSpec laptops) I see there's one in Columbus, Mayfield Heights, and Sharonville.

@Fastidious Reader

8. Fastidious Reader

Reputations:
    To also ask does anyone know of a guide so I can remove the keyboard and check the other side of the board and the connectors in the ignition area. Find out if its just PCB or more extensive damage before possibly trying to send it off for repair.

9. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    i never really had a problem.

I had a Clevo X7200 from them. In for a warranty repair when one of the exhaust fans conked out. Machine was out for 5 biz days including ship times to/from IL. I didn't consider this too bad.

Machines are general Clevos... One nicety, they ran/printed off the benchmarks and temps from the utilities they used during burn in. Other than that, don't expect too much above a stock machine. In other words, nothing too much extra than what you'd expect from a normal Clevo in that regards.

10. Fastidious Reader

Reputations:
    Yea looking at them compared to others like Xotic or Hidevolution who offer all sorts of extra cooling addons and extended support and tuning for screens and components along with warranty services.

And Prema partner support since Prema seems to be refining the recent Intel fixes right now that could be a important factor.

In the end I guess it boils down to cost and such. Maybe see if AVA could do a repair job and what that would run me.

jclausius likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.