Dreadful situation Clevo P770ZM-G catastrophic failure

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Fastidious Reader, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fastidious Reader

Fastidious Reader Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You have a point had I not been awake it would have been a lot worse.

Eluktronics looks to have good models on sale. Checking them out for replacement. The new i7-8750H will run about the same as I had the i7-4790k underclocked at if I go with something not a desktop CPU model.

Or go with a 8700k and 1080 Clevo and put my drive back in one of those.

Though first I'll look towards what I can get for those parts.

2. Bongripper666

Bongripper666 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Woah, someone with expert knowledge. :rolleyes:

Papusan likes this.
  3. Chastity

Chastity Company Representative

Reputations:
    He's an expert in his own mind. Ignore him. I do.

Bongripper666 and saturnotaku like this.
  4. Fastidious Reader

Reputations:
    Okay it doesn't look like the Sager thing is going to work out. So just gonna sell off the parts I have and wait a bit while the Nvidia news causes prices to drop a little.

Looking into models with i7-8750H and a GTX 1060. Seen some nice thin Clevo in that format.

5. Fastidious Reader

Reputations:
    Found a builder Eluktronics. They don't have much in the way if bells and whistle options but I've heard their builds are pretty solid. They've been doing their own SSD units for a while now. Also solid reviews.

6. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    In fact, lol, clevo has one of the best motherboards in terms of circuitry, mofsets and ic's used. They blow alienware and msi out of the water with the least motherboards failing, some still do. I have NEVER had an issue with a clevo motherboard up till now, I even butchered a part of my clevo p770dm-g when upgrading it to a gtx 1070 mxm, ripped off an m.2 ssd slot, knocked off a resistor and two capacitors and what do you know IT BOOTS!

You ever do that on something like an alienware and be sure to be 10 feet away from it before it blows up lol.

Every rail, whether it be 12v, 5v or 3.3v has a LOT of protection on clevo motherboards, enough said! MSI isn't terrible in terms of circuit design but alienware is rubbish, you'll be sure to notice a lot of people with overclockable cpu's having fried mofsets on the mobo due to poor quality.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    Papusan and GrandesBollas like this.
  7. Fastidious Reader

Reputations:
    No doubt. It's a rare occasion for such an event to occur. Still mine is slag and I'm thinking of waiting till the RTX rollout and the GTX 10s start dropping in price a bit more before going into a new laptop. See they'll even continue with the RTX series into laptops.

8. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yeah the best get caught sometimes. EVGA got supplied a bad batch of caps that caused a lot of failures on otherwise very decent GPU boards. Fanbois use anything to support the conclusions they already have (just look at his attempted trollbait signature)

9. Fastidious Reader

Reputations:
    Yea the soldered area even without the damage didn't look like the best job. Guess it was just one of those things. Just gotta salvage what one can and move on.

DaMafiaGamer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.