Dreaded day is here, Need a Lenovo W530, very upset.

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by turbochris, Nov 27, 2020.

1. turbochris

turbochris Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I need a replacement for my daily driver, my w530 got run over. I'm on my backup W530. My daily had all the good parts, they're mostly dust now. With a heavy heart i decided to abandon the W530. It was like seeing my pet get run over. So, I know I need to give up the hot swap day and cardbus34 slot but USB can cover all that now. Corporate refurbs are best as they're great deals and parts are avail. I like Dell and Lenovo. HP is in timeout for a while. Magnisium frame, adjustable hinges, replaceable battery.

1) What is your budget?
    ~$1000

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Lenovo, Dell
    b. Dislike: HP
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    YES! I like serviceable corporate refurbs best!

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    fast cpu, storage and ram is a plus, just enough GPU for light cad work. no games.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    it's going on the road, through hell. Toughbooks don't work, serviceability and parts availability is the key.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    no

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    swappable battery is preffered, battery life helps.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

no

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.

Probably gonna recover the windows 10 key, reinstall dual boot w some linux or just run linux from an external drive. BTW bios whitelist workarounds are also a plus.

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    at least 1080, 1440 is max I need. I want an EYE CANDY screen!

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)

I don't care

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

no

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?

minimal, I have stuff here to up that.

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    first business expense for 1-1

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?

until Win 10 updates breaks it's back and I can't upgrade it any further or parts are an issue.

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?

Not a problem, I'm buying 2 or 3, one working one will always be around. I'll get the broke ones off the bench w ebay parts.

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?

See 18

You guys never steered me wrong, you hooked me up w my W530!

2. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I believe the ThinnkPad P52 was the last workstation with a removable battery. It's only a couple years old, so a still a good performer, but your budget might be a bit light.

rlk likes this.
  3. Starlight5

Starlight5 Yes, I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

Reputations:
    @turbochris sorry for your loss.

If you don't mind getting your hands dirty and replacing the display yourself, AMD-powered E15G2 and L15 are both great 15" Thinkpads. With modern laptops, you'll have to increase battery life with a type c powerbank rather than replaceable batteries.

T14 would be overall better as top of the line with great FHD screen options, and there's older A485 if you insist on replaceable battery - but these are 14".

Intel-powered laptops are poor choice for a years to come machine, with the non-stop flow of security vulnerabilities discovered in their CPUs they are not future-proof. Still, if you want WQHD or 4K screen on a business machine, sadly you're stuck with Intel; AMD-powered business laptops only come with FHD screens on anything business, sadly.