Drawing (using pen) on Razer Blade 15 4k

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Winston Dehaney, Dec 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winston Dehaney

Winston Dehaney Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello guys!

I've been planning to get the Razer Blade 14 4k edition laptop through HIDevolution. I'm a visual artist, as well as a junior developer; and I sometimes edit audios and videos editing, among other power tasks. In general, I'm a productivity user rather than a gamer which I know this laptop will benefit the most.

I would like to learn more about drawing on the touchscreen with the laptop. I've done a number of searches and I've hardly found much information regarding this; the ones I've found tend to say it's not good for art. But in my mind, if it is possible to draw with a pen on it that is good enough for me. When there are new needs I would probably opt for an additional graphics tablet.

So my question is, has anyone tried to draw on the touchscreen for this laptop? If so what has it been like? What suggestions in terms of pens etc would you give to make the most of using this for drawing from time to time?

Thanks in advance!

Spartan likes this.
  2. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Get a Bamboo Ink which is designed for laptops.

Also, since you will be getting it from HIDevolution, don't forget to email donald@hidevolution.com to get your NBR Discount and oh, I would configure it with the Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut + Fujipoly Extreme Thermal Pads which is one of their best upgrades to mitigate the CPU overheating issues.

Winston Dehaney likes this.
  3. Winston Dehaney

Winston Dehaney Newbie

Reputations:
    OK, thanks! I've been speaking with Donald via email. I was intending to use the Gelid GC Extreme instead of Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut on CPU + GPU since the latter is electrically conductive and I'm a little worried about it long term. How well do you think the Gelid GC Extreme and Fujipoly Extreme Thermal Pads compare?

4. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Gelid Extreme is also a very good paste, along with the Fujipoly Extreme Thermal pads which on their own reduce temps by up to 5C.

I understand your concern about liquid metal if you're planning to move a lot then that might be the best route but do bear in mind that any upgrades done by HIDevolution at the factory are covered by warranty. They have their proprietary method of applying liquid metal which prevents leakage ;)

Also, since you will be an HIDevolution Gaming Team Member, feel free to tag me by using the @ sign followed by my username without a space if you want me to help you tweak it. I only offer these tweaks for HIDevolution Gaming Team Members. These are the Ultra Male Tweaks:

1- Uninstallation of all the Windows Store Garbage Apps like 3D Paint, Print 3D, Alarms & Clock, Feedback Hub, Maps, Groove Music, News, Weather, etc.
    2- Removing all Windows 10 Privacy Invasion stuff like Telemetry, collecting your activities that you do on your computer, sending your keystrokes to Microsoft, automatically installing suggested apps in the background, allowing Microsoft to conduct experiments on your laptop, disabling automatic driver updates through Windows updates, disabling Windows 10 ads, disabling Cortana, Cloud Search etc.
    3- Disabling Microsoft Edge from starting up automatically in the background upon reboot.
    4- Adjusting a lot of options in PC Settings like disabling Windows Tablet Mode (you have a laptop not a tablet), disabling suggestions appearing in the start menu, disabling automatically connecting to Paid WiFi Hotspots, disabling Game DVR which reduced performance in games, and a lot more.
    5- Replacing Cortana with a much better search tool that finds results instantly called Everything which finds any file you want as soon as you start typing even a few letters of its name and it doesn't even rely on the Windows Indexing Service to do this!
    6- Restoring the Classic Windows Photo Viewer from Windows 7
    7- Restoring the Classic Windows 7 Start Menu
    8- Restoring the Classic Calculator from Windows 7
    9- Removal of the new and useless 3D Objects Folder that appears when you open "Computer"
    10- Completely disabling Windows Defender from its roots (including all scheduled tasks and startup files) for those who want to install their own AV. ESET NOD32 Antivirus is highly recommended if you want the utmost security with the least system performance impact.
    11- Updating all drivers to the latest versions in case they weren't up to date.
    12- Disabling the performance hit that is caused by the Meltdown and Spectre patches recently released by Microsoft (optional, only if you don't mind having this security vulnerability and would rather have your CPU's full performance back)
    13- Overprovisioning your SSD anywhere between 10-20% depending on how much space you can spare to ensure optimal and consistent performance at all times.
    14- Blocking the Google Chrome Software Reporter Tool (which causes a high system load when it is scanning files)
    15- Preventing Microsoft Edge from running on startup in the background
    16- Restoring the missing default power plans in Windows 10 (ie. High performance, Power saver, and adding the new Ultimate Performance Plan)
    17- Creating a system restoration image so that you can restore your computer the way it was after I have tweaked it within a few minutes easily!

[​IMG]

5. Winston Dehaney

Winston Dehaney Newbie

Reputations:
    OK Thanks!

Spartan likes this.
  6. Winston Dehaney

Winston Dehaney Newbie

Reputations:
    For now I would just add the thermal and display options.

Spartan likes this.
  7. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hi,

Firstly, why do you want to get the Razer Blade 14 for drawing and creativity?
    Firstly the Razer Blade 14 has often been reported by users to have issues, here is compiled community feedback:
    Before buying you should check this laptop's forum thread: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/razer-blade-14-1060-gpu-late-2016-owners-lounge.797021/

I think their current model has most of the hardware issues ironed out, but still, these laptop NEEDS to be purchased with a cooling mod. Otherwise, buy something else.

Second of all, I don't recall any of the Razer Blade laptops to offer Active Stylus support. To draw on a display, you need a laptop with active stylus support. Otherwise, the screen cannot register your pressure and angle, and you won't be able to draw on it. Alternatively, you can buy a drawing tablet and attach it to the laptop.

If you want a gaming laptop with drawing capabilities, these are your options, I've added Stylus requirement under chassis features: noteb search.
    You can see and change the search parameters using the "Refine results" button in the upper-left part of the search results page. You can also click on the laptops for more information.
    I think your best cost-effective option is the Lenovo Yoga 730-15 and the most expensive is the Microsoft Surface Book 2.
    The HP Spectre x360 is also an option, but so far all HP Spectre laptops had terrible cooling, so I am reluctant to recommend it.

@Ultra Male The stylus you recommended requires laptops that have active stylus support (Microsoft ink), the Razer doesn't have that and is unsuitable for what OP wants.

Winston Dehaney and Spartan like this.
  8. Winston Dehaney

Winston Dehaney Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the points! Based on previous checks online I saw that an active pen wouldn't work. But I was thinking if I could use a basic stylus then it should be good for me; since again a graphics tablet would really be the best suited going up the line.

Since I have an artistic, music and computer science background I wanted to have the power for things such as 3d modeling and video editing especially. I currently have a very underperforming computer lol so I guess that is one of the influencers. I went through the HID evolution line based on the positive reviews I've been seeing and the upgrade and quality assurance options. Yes I was quite nervous especially considering the price about the customer support. I've seen some recent reports of improvements (while not being at where it should be still, like the 1 year warranty which is too short in my opinion).

9. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I have nothing against HidEvolution; they offer excellent customer support. So if you want to buy from them, I encourage you.
    I am just trying to point you to the right laptop model.

Drawing on the Razer screen will not be drawing. It will be the same as using your finger on any low-quality tablet. The pen helps only in so far as the finger is large and the pen has a smaller tip, but the experience will be the same. You won't have any pressure or angle registered, and the touchscreen accuracy in where you want to point and drag won't be terrific. It's not that the touch-screen is bad, it is just not designed for this type of operation. In my opinion, you should set yourself pretty low expectations when it comes to using the Razer Blade with a pen. I've shown you earlier what laptops are ok for what you want. I think some of them can also be bought through HidEvolution, or ask them if they will offer the Yoga 730. Give them a link to my search results and ask them if they can offer anything like that. :)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.