Dox drivers vs Nvidia?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by busa, Mar 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _bare

_bare Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Haha yeah, Ive been looking into the new 19x.xx drivers but am content with 186.81 until I do a bit more reading.

2. busa

busa Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    About installing new drivers and updating them:

When I go 'Device Manager' and click 'Update Driver', my computer comes back saying that the drivers I have are already up to date.

My graphics card is the Nvidia GeForce GTX 260M (laptop version). In 'Properties' the listed version is: 8.16.11.8766

So I am confused to the 196.75 and 195.62 drivers that are being recommended. Surely, 8.16.11.8766 does not = 196.75, and yet my PC says the drivers are already up to date. It seems that the automatic driver updating system on my computer does not work then...?

I purchased this laptop about 2 months ago and I have not installed any new drivers, just been using the ones installed.

3. Soviet Sunrise

Soviet Sunrise Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I was the same as you. I stuck with 186.81 WHQL for the longest time until Nvidia released their redeemer 196.21/196.34, and now the latest release on that build, 196.75 WHQL. http://forum.notebookreview.com/showpost.php?p=5967478&postcount=1322

4. _bare

_bare Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I would not use the update driver method because as you have just attested it is not always accurate.

Take the last five digits of your driver i.d.; that gives you 187.66. I would assume that is a more recent driver, you do not need to update, but Im not familiar with that specific driver. A quick google would solve that, though.

For the most recent drivers try laptopvideo2go or nvidia's site.

Hmmmm I may have to give them a spin.

5. busa

busa Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I tried the 196.75 drivers but they do not work with my computer. I guess I have to stick with the OEM drivers

6. Soviet Sunrise

Soviet Sunrise Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
  7. Slaughterhouse

Slaughterhouse Knock 'em out!

Reputations:
    How are the temps with these drivers? I'm looking for something that reduces my temps.

8. sean473

sean473 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I felt the same way when i came here first... i've learnt and lot and after seeing and learning from these ppl , i regret buying this hp laptop but can't do anything... anyways i'm a gundam seed fan... i've played the PSP game but nver heard about the PS2 one... anyways , i hope its nice because i don't have a console lol...

9. Slaughterhouse

Slaughterhouse Knock 'em out!

Reputations:
    I'm having so much trouble getting a modded INF for 196.75. The link at laptopvide2go isn't working.

10. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    By that, do you mean it downloads a .inf.txt file? I had that issue, but you just need to delete the .txt from the end, and it will work fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.