DOWN WITH IPOD!!! Pocket PC Way Better!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by AdvidG, Dec 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdvidG

AdvidG Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    IPod- $299 to $399
    Pocket Pc- $80 and up

Are people Mad or just showing off their obscene wealth?

I got a used older Ipaq a while back that could beatdown an Ipod in terms of function and usefulness with no hands. This is an exorbitantly priced Mp3 player. And not a thing more. With most Pocket Pc's you can: view pictures, watch tv shows or movies, play games, write papers, read books, send and or write email, fax, print, and ect...ect...ECT. There are thousands of programs to chose from and some of them free. Heck, the same can be said of th PALM handhelds as well. And when (not if) I drop It, I don't have to worry about wecking a HARDRIVE inside. 10GB?! of music? 256mb card would do me just fine.
    If you have time enough to listen to that much music at a workplace...you are no longer working. Your just at a place. listning to a hell of a lot of music. In no way am I saying that Pocket Pc's are perfect. Working with them on-line is a bit of a joke. And If pushed the OS tends to lock-up. But they are still lightyears ahead of any 'pod' any day of the week.

If your really into computing on the go and can't or don't want to pull out your laptop, these are just about the only alterative as of now...until brain chip upgrades get popular. (Not of course as If you don't already have any installed now. - Please rewatch 'X-files' seasons 3 & 4 for details). Oh...Just announced! Soon you will be able to view pictures on it's little screen....how CUTE!

Whatever!

So What's your take on the Ipod mania sweeping the US?

2. Andrew Baxter

Andrew Baxter -

Reputations:
    i agree to a degree, but then I also think Apple is doing a great job of marketing the device and they've gotten lucky that it's become a cult item. all you say is mostly true, i might argue that when i go running i'd much rather have a mini ipod than a pocket pc so the 'mini' form factor makes sense.

3. Brian

Brian Working at 486 Speed NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    We do have a PDA site too if you want to vent over there as well.

www.bargainpda.com

Editor in Chief http://www.bargainPDA.com and http://www.SPOTstop.com

4. Quikster

Quikster Notebook Deity NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    there are also other uses for the iPod that make it handy, sure you may not have 40gb of music, but it makes a really tiny storage device for moving large amounts of data around. I do have an 80gb external hard drive, but sometimes it would be nice to have something smaller that could fit in my pocket for moving data.

zx5000 :: 2.4M :: 512 DDR :: 40gb 4200 RPM HD :: 15.4" :: Radeon 9600 Mobilty M10 :: Aquamark3 22,856

5. AdvidG

Reputations:
    To Quikster: yes I could see that...but not for $339.99. Im sure you could find or make an external drive for much less.

To Abaxter: I agree. Apple is a fine company with very well made products. A bit over priced, but very ahead of the game. The 'MINI' is still $249.99(US)...for less you could get a smaller lighter Mp3 player that should last long enough during a run. I think it's just people acting as if it's the most advanced device of the century that's making me go all.... madcow.[:(!]

To Brian: Thanks! Just let me calm down just a bit....

To AdvidG: Oh..just SHUT UP! would you?

[B)].

6. ReverendDC

ReverendDC Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Settle down there, big fella!!!

My notebook is currently crammed with about 6GB of music files. As hard drives slow down after 50% of their capacity is utilized, and most modern games use upwards of 4GB of space (FarCry, I am looking straight at you, buddy), there is a somewhat pressing need to remove said files...and I do not use desktops. A new, larger, faster drive would cost upwards of $250, as I already have an 80GB drive. Plus, I would have to reinstall all of my stuff (a ghost image brings all of the crap back over to the new disk-not the most appealing option). Right about now that IPod mini is sounding sweet. Plus, I have absolutely no use for the other functions that come with a PDA. Internet? Laptop. Phone calls? Cell phone. Music...oh, I just can't do it to you, AdvidG.

7. AdvidG

Reputations:
    Ok, ReverendDC

Your 'pressing need' to place these files elsewhere could be solved cheaper or just better than with a 'pod'. $250 you say...Is the cheapest you can get an Ipod for(Mini). For around the same price, Seagate is about to release a 7200rpm 100GB 2.5 Laptop harddrive. Upgrading to this point would put you square at the level of any desktop (and make FarCry and other games happy...for once). It's about the fastest avalable except for the 'Maxtor Atlas 15K' for the desktop world. Then you take your old harddrive and place it in a 2.5 USB HD enclosure. Doing the math a bit...let's see, 100GB on the laptop at 7200rpm [:p] and 80GB in 'slip in the pocket' portable storage= 180GB on the go anytime anywhere![8D] With the 'pod' you get...4GB storage (you needed 6GB, right?) and an mp3 player, Oh..and plus don't forget you get to be in the 'In-crowd' of your 'wealth stricken' peers![B)].

Or... you could get a portable DVD-R burner (or an full size external=cheaper) and put your music on DvD disks that you could carry with you. And...Yes there is no need for you to own a PDA. All I'm saying is there's even a less of a need for you to get that stupid 'Pod'.[:D]

'What the hell is he talking about?' links:

http://www.seagate.com/cda/newsinfo/newsroom/releases/article/0,1121,2169,00.html

http://www.censuspc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=i201-B2-T&Category_Code=EXT002&Product_Count=0

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10515

Update: The 'Ipod Photo' sports the same 2-inch LCD screen displays as the others and comes in a 40GB model, available for $499, and a 60GB model that sells for $599!!!![:0] ok...you could get a laptop for that. Used, maybe even a new one with rebates. See your pictures on a 14" screen!...And do other things too! And even a PDA screen size is...
    and you can 'landscape' them....
    ok....I give up.
    Whatever.[xx(]

8. zeanimal2001

zeanimal2001 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    <blockquote id='quote'>quote:<hr height='1' noshade id='quote'>Originally posted by AdvidG

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  9. mathlete2001

mathlete2001 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    AdvidG: can you name a pocket pc for $80 that has a 10GB hard drive?

That's what I thought.

* Inspiron 8600c * 1.8ghz Pentium M * 128 MB Radeon 9600 Pro Turbo * 2x512 MB DDR2700 SDRAM * 60GB 7200RPM HDD *

10. drunkentyger

drunkentyger Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hey hey!

I'm getting one for free!!! (en route from the mail)... So dont be dissing the ipod.

I did one of those free-ipod stuff. (Not posting the link cuz of the mods... )[8D]

But yeah... A free ipod... (Technically, I ended up spending $60 on the offer... But hey, I got 9 cd's that I wanted, a $25 gift card to some store Im never gonna go to, and a HTML tutorial... LOL)

What can I complain about?
    [:D]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.