Does the XPS 16 have heat issues?

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Fredrick_NP, Apr 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fredrick_NP

Fredrick_NP Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've read reviews mentioning heat is an issue for the XPS 16, and I've read other comments saying that's false. Does anyone have hands on experience with this notebook? Does the speedfan app work with this computer?

I plan on doing some pretty graphic intensive gaming that would likely push this notebook to it's limit (Raiding in WoW at full graphic settings) so if heat really is an issue, I would most likely experience it.

2. xAdonis

xAdonis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No more than a new Macbook Pro.

It gets warm, and I wouldn't game with any laptop while its in your lap - but it does a fantastic job of WoW at its highest settings. Just Raided last night and didn't have any problems (aside from the fan spinning up).

I would say go with the XPS 16 - I have only owned it for a couple of days but it has completely blown me away. I really love this laptop - and if you have patience you can pick one up at the Outlet for around $900.

3. xAdonis

xAdonis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Heat is a big issue with the SXPS13 - that is probably what you were reading.

4. Trekster

Trekster Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    No issues for me. CPU idling(browsing/reading/etc) @ approx 35-38C and it only gets hot while gaming(but not uncomfortly hot). So no issues there! :)

5. Fredrick_NP

Fredrick_NP Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Awesome. What kind of FPS do you get when raiding at max graphics? And what diver are you using for the gpu?

6. Melody

Melody How's It Made Addict

Reputations:
    A laptop heating isn't really anything new so it's not an "issue".

I'd say heating is an "issue" when it starts to hinder the laptop's performance which is not the case of the SXPS 16. Sure, it gets hot, but considering what's in there it's kinda normal. I suppose you could say compared to other laptops it may be warmer, but hey, they don't all use the same cooling system >.>

7. Rebellion

Rebellion Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I game alot with my 1640 and haven't had any problems with heat.

With a laptop built out of metal your going to "feel" the heat more. Many people are over reacting in my opinion.

If you fear the heat just undervolt the CPU. At only 0.9875v my 2.66ghz cpu runs around 60c at full load. Thats not hot at all in my opinion.

In the 1640 the cpu and gpu have their own heat pipe that run to the same fan. Reducing one heat source does have an impact on the other heat source. I have gamed for a few hours with the 1640 on my lap and it wasn't any more uncomfortable than other laptops I have owned.

Really enjoying Demigod at the moment.

8. gateway44

gateway44 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just received my studio xps 1640 this morning and played some Wow after reinstalling the OS/downloading new drivers/etc. Graphics were set to Ultra and I had no lag/stutter/connection problems while pvping for an hour or two.

The laptop was sitting on a normal table while I was playing and got warm, but nowhere near too hot to play. The screen also looks AWESOME.

9. UnXpectedError

UnXpectedError Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    mine got so hot while playing games that i couldn't have it on my lap and even if i put it on a table the keys and palm rest were uncomfortable to use.

i ended up returning it but my unit had more issues then just overheating.

10. snookie

snookie Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It is definitely warmer than the new Unibody Macbook Pros which run quite cool. I seem to remember early models of the XPS 16 running pretty hot and complaints aobut it. But I think there has been a bios update since then that has the problem under control. I have seen alot of complaints about the heat of the XPS 13.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.