Does such a 15" gaming laptop exist?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by adampk17, Mar 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adampk17

adampk17 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm looking to purchase a new gaming laptop in the next month or two. I have some particular "wants" that I have not been able to find in any of the configs that I have looked at. Maybe I'm missing something but I have tried to look at Asus, MSI, Sager, Alien, and Toshiba so far. If you can point me in the direction of a gaming laptop that meets my specs below I would sure appreciate it.

Screen: 15" 1080p (I actually like glossy screens but it's not a deal breaker either way)

CPU: Quad Core Sandy Bridge

GPU: Something in the upper range but nothing extreme. Maybe a 460m or 5870 or 6000 series, if they are in laptops yet. Prefer Nvidia but again, it's not a deal breaker either way.

Storage: 2 internal HDD enclosures + 1 ODD. This seems to be the item that really kills my selection. I want to have a SSD for my boot drive and have a
    mechanical drive for data storage.

Would like the exhaust to be either on the left side of the laptop or the back. Weight and battery life are not big concerns either.

Thanks for your help! :)

2. Hybrys

Hybrys That Damn Cactuar!

Reputations:
    Sager 8150. Bam.

2 internals, plus an external ODD would be your best bet.

3. hawk1410

hawk1410 Bird of Prey

Reputations:
    Ignore this post

4. adampk17

Reputations:
    Yeah, I was very excited by the Sager 8150 when I first started checking it out but the lack of a second internal HDD has put it off my list, at least until I determine that toting around an external ODD is the world I need to live in.

5. Hybrys

Reputations:
    Here's the major point though. How often do you use your optical drive?

Daily? Weekly? Monthly? Only at home? Could you know in advance days you need it?

I've personally recently realized that I never use DVDs anymore. I buy DVDs, then download a copy of it. Same with blurays, which often now include downloadable copies attached. Just because I hate being bound like that.

Think about it. If it's a major point, then it's not the laptop for you. If it isn't a major point, then there you go.

6. adampk17

Reputations:
    Oh I know. I don't need it often, but having it be internal is something I am shooting for at this point.

7. hawk1410

hawk1410 Bird of Prey

Reputations:
    I was looking for something similar month ago and the only two laptops that I could find were the MSI GT680r and the ASUS G53SW. Both are available for preorder at xoticpc.com

8. adampk17

Reputations:
    That Asus looks frickin awesome but damn, there always has to be one possibly fly in the ointment. The pictures of the G53SW on Xotic PC website are conflicting. Some of the pics show the ports on the left side while other pics show the ports on the right side.... which is bad.

Do you know the truth?

9. Hybrys

Reputations:
  10. TechNewbie

TechNewbie Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.