Does nvidia use driver updates to kill performance on ageing GPUs? Linus says no.

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Prototime, Aug 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

Thoughts on his (actually Jake's) research?

Starlight5 likes this.
  2. Carrot Top

Carrot Top Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thoughts? For the people who actually believed this was a thing, I've got a bridge to sell you.

3. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    I have to agree. This wasn't a very thorough test. He should have tested drivers pre new architecture launch. That's when we see gimping take place.

Prototime likes this.
  4. Carrot Top

Reputations:
    There is no gimping. It's always the people who never provide proof that claim gimping, while those of us that benchmark games regularly after driver updates see that driver performance trends upward over time or stays the same.

Starlight5 and saturnotaku like this.
  5. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I was wondering about this myself. Testing a singe post-launch driver doesn't seem comprehensive enough to draw much of a concrete conclusion from.

I've seen respected members of this forum have different views on this. I also am not one who regularly tests games after driver updates, though.

@Papusan @Phoenix - as our regular driver testers/egg cookers, do you have any thoughts on whether nvidia uses driver updates to gimp old GPUs?

6. Carrot Top

Reputations:
    It doesn't matter what your view is. The evidence is there. Driver performance goes up or stays the same over time. I'm talking in games, I could care less about synthetics. The biggest gains from driver optimization come in the first few months to a year after the release of a new GPU uarch before tapering off. AMD usually gains more from driver optimization than Nvidia (so-called FineWine™ Technology) because their GPUs are released in a less optimized state than Nvidia's, and because of their presence in console silicon which affects the development of game engines and emergent rendering techniques that favor their architecture.

This is like the second video LTT has done on this nGimpia conspiracy theory. The entire premise is so ridiculous I have a hard time taking it, and people who actually believe it, seriously. I have a feeling that I've been using PC for longer than some of these people have been alive, so I remember when actual controversy existed in the GPU space, rather than this FUD. Like drivers being coded to skip the rendering of some elements in a certain popular benchmark to inflate scores for one side, or a certain popular game locking out a rendering path on one side due to that side's terrible performance in that API, or notable performance and image quality differences in basic things like anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering between the two.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    ChanceJackson and Prototime like this.
  7. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Well this has been the latest trend for the past 2 years. When approaching the release date of a new GPU Drivers start getting worse and worse and have problems making people feel sick of them and eventually end up upgrading. That's how I was forced to upgrade from a Dual 780Ms on my Alienware 18 to a Dual 980M GTX on a Clevo laptop back then

Sometimes they would just fry your GPU, much easier than pissing customers off for a long time. Always best to stick to the drivers from the OEMs that they test unless a new driver has some game optimizations which you are playing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    Starlight5, TBoneSan and Prototime like this.
  8. Carrot Top

Reputations:
    o_O

Spartan likes this.
  9. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    I think he meant dual 780m.

Thinking back I'm reminded of how Nvidia loaded up tesselation on Maxwell release in gameworks to make AMD cards run like ass, even to the detriment of nuking Kepler GPU performance. That's acceptable collateral damage for them.
    Then recently with the Titan, the newer magic driver that conveniently unlocks magic compute powers ahead of AMD 64.
    Nah Nvidia are a sly bunch.

Spartan likes this.
  10. Carrot Top

Reputations:
    Those are separate issues from "Nvidia releases newer drivers to gimp performance of games on older GPUs", which has been proven as false so many times. In other words, in the same games, older drivers DO NOT perform better than newer drivers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.