Does it need a repaste of the CPU?

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by somethingwicked, Jul 24, 2020.

1. somethingwicked

somethingwicked Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello guys, in the last weeks I have some issues with my Clevo P870TM_TM1.

Sometimes, all of a sudden, expecially when using heavy stuff like games (but also while using skype, or streaming from youtube or netflix), the PC freezes, with a buzz noise, and I have to do hard reset to use the laptop again.
    Checking in windows events nothing seems wrong, so I guess that the software is not the problem.

I tried to check the temperatures this morning, with Hwinfo. I started steam and played a bit on start wars the old republic (9 years old game) for 30 minutes, and I tracked these stats on core 2 temperature and Core 2 distance to TjMax attached.

need-a-repaste.jpg

In your opinion, do I need a repaste? I did it a couple of months ago (here my story), so maybe I did it wrong and I need to open the laptop again and work on it.

Thanks in advance.

OT: since I am not satisfied with the Clevo Control Center software, I found this thread about obsidian pc software tools. Do you suggest to replace CCC with it? Thanks!

2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Are you stock?

3. joluke

joluke Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Repaste with Grizzly Kryonaut! If you use it daily and with heavy usage like gaming often, i would advise to repaste every 6 months and go some fan cleaning too :)

4. Darker01

Darker01 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Please check and see if your Clevo Control Center is running when you have the temperature spikes or not. I found that with my P870DM occasionally it doesn't run, and the fans get a bit messed up (not spinning up when they are supposed to).
    Could be a bit far-fetched, but it's faster than removing the heatsink.
    Best of luck.

5. somethingwicked

Reputations:
    Yes, no overclocking.

I repasted 2 months ago, so I will consider doing it again as last resort.

Indeed, I'm a bit surprised but it seems CCC is not running at startup. The program is installed (via Windows applications install) but I find no reference neither on windows start nor searching on file manager. Can you tell me the location of CCC installation?

Thank you guys!

6. artpra

artpra Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Two things:
    1. Your GPU is overheating, even when GPU (die) itself is ok while monitoring temps in HWinfo, there is some component (VRM?) that gets too much. Repad/Repaste.
    2. You have some CPU undervolt and it's too low now, even if it was perfectly fine for moths. Give him more juice.

7. somethingwicked

Reputations:
    1. You mean that even if the temp of the GPU is way below critical (never more than 75), I should repaste it?
    2. You are right, I totally forgot about undervolting. My setting is -100mV, what amount do you suggest to try?

Thanks!

8. artpra

artpra Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    1. Yes, what you see in monitoring software is actually a GPU die temperature. Other GPU components (soldered onto GPU PCB) can and often are much hotter. Especially when you blast GPU at max (ie benching) then whole voltage section reaches +100C easily. If you have some old and dry or slightly misplaced pad there, you are seeing those freezes.

But don't open the machine now, start with 2 because it's quick and easy to do.
    2. Those freezes are typical to CPU voltage starving too. Set it to -50mV or even disable it completely and test. If it will be fine again, search for the new proper undervolt value (it can settle at -90 or -30 who knows). If it won't help, do point 1.

9. somethingwicked

Reputations:
    Thanks for the explanations. I will try 2 and then 1 if not lucky. :)

10. Darker01

Darker01 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    upload_2020-7-25_7-43-2.png
    Mine shows up as HkeyTray under Startup. I hope this helps.