Does it matter which wireless card you pick for XPS 15

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by KeenMobile, Jan 19, 2012.

1. tonyr6

tonyr6 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just found out that my wireless card in my XPS 17 can't do 5 Ghz. I only have a 2.4 Ghz single band wireless n router. Now I am not going to waste my money buying a dual band router. This is why 2.4 Ghz sucks for wifi and should have never been the standard. It is overcrowded because of only three non overlapping channels and 95% of the wifi devices only do 2.4 Ghz. It does not matter much since I use Ethernet on any of my devices that support it. My laptop, PS3 etc. I only use cruddy wifi for devices that don't have Ethernet like my iPod Touch.

2. toronto

toronto Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Who said all the Intel cards are crap? I didn't see that in this thread.

I have the Intel 6230 and it seems to work well for WiFi. I haven't tried the Bluetooth yet, as I have no such devices.

3. FlipBack

FlipBack Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have the 6230, no problems yet ( had since July...)

4. Panduhsaur

Panduhsaur Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just wanted to do a follow up on my post. and if bluetooth is something you want do not get the 1000 card or the 6150.

As for 1030 vs 6230 I have no idea

5. DuX

DuX Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    You dont have to mess about disabling it in Device manager.

All you need to do is launch Windows Mobility Centre (the cog touch button), pick Radio control options button and just have that with the WPAN option ticked. This will then use Fn+F2 to switch your Bluetooth on and off.
    To turn the wireless on and off easily just go into Windows Mobility Centre and pick the button "turn wireless off" to switch it off or vice versa.

I have found the wireless better with the Bluetooth off, confirmed with the signal strength increasing when detecting my router via Inssider.