Does anyone other than Realtek do onboard audio?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Peon, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Peon

Peon Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I can't recall ever seeing an onboard audio solution that wasn't Realtek. Do they have a complete monopoly on the market?

2. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Moderator

Reputations:
    They have the majority but not monopoly. As an example the new x399 Asus board has, but this is desktop. You may find further with other laptops such as the ROG GX800VH

https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ROG-GX800VH-7th-Gen-Intel-Core/

https://rog.asus.com/articles/maxim...ming-for-amds-monster-ryzen-threadripper-cpu/

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  3. Kent T

Kent T Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Want better audio, you need external. Especially for those who create audio and not just consume audio and for audiophiles. Realtek is consumer/business multimedia/gaming audio.

4. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Not sure about the current models, but older unibody MacBook Pros used a Cirrus Logic chipset. If you were running a Boot Camp Windows installation, the only Windows drivers that existed were the ones provided by Apple. There were never updates like you could get from Realtek.

5. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Moderator

Reputations:
    Cirrus logic was popular on the low end but I think the codec's shot them in the foot. There just was never any updates.

6. Starlight5

Starlight5 I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

Reputations:
    Conexant still makes onboard audio, too. What really drives me mad about both Realtek and Conexant drivers is that neither allows different volume levels for headphones and laptop speakers. i.e. you plug headphones and get overwhelmed by loud volume, unplug them - and have to raise volume immediately to hear something. How retarded should a driver developer be not to understand that such simple and obvious functionality is mandatory?! At least generic Windows drivers work fine and allow different volume levels - thank you, Microsoft.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017 at 8:23 PM
  7. H.A.L. 9000

H.A.L. 9000 Occam's Chainsaw

Reputations:
    Apple uses Cirrus Logic exclusively, though it's an altered/custom design... they have some really fantastic quality, especially considering it's on-board.

I see a lot of HP's with Conexant, and we're forgetting Dell's use of IDT. Most all of my Latitudes have been Realtek or IDT. The IDT models sounded pretty good.

saturnotaku likes this.
  8. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Definitely. One could construe the lack of driver updates as a positive because the ones that were packaged with the Boot Camp install package just worked, except for the initial release for the 2016 models as there was a bug that would cause one of the speakers to get blown out. People had to have their machines replaced entirely because of this, and supply was already fairly limited because the was discovered not long after those models started shipping.

9. namaiki

namaiki Sydney, Australia Super Moderator

Reputations:
    What happened to SoundMax? Is that a company or just a brand?

10. Kent T

Kent T Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    A brand! My idea of heavenly audio in a laptop, would be built in AudioScience with a breakout box. But I'm an audiophile and radio broadcast engineer, who is quality and reliability minded. The ultimate field box for my staffers needs on remotes and emergency use.