Does a non g-sync GPU work in my laptop?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by chrisssj3, Jun 28, 2021.

1. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Those vendor names are included just so that they show up in a search.

They report as Dell in GPU-Z despite Dell never actually offering such a product.

Only that model 1070 with the black pcb is the recycled components that make up the 1070 you are looking at.

Dell = Alienware and neither ever offered an MXM 1070. We call them "Dell" with air quotes since they report in GPU-Z that it is a Dell product.

This is an MSi 1070

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304047960007?hash=item46caabafc7:g:OPoAAOSwGhxgrbN2

There are various means to acquire MXM cards.

Zotac offered a 10XX card but can only pull from their desktop NUC systems.
    MSi had their 1070 in both desktop NUCs and Laptops
    Clevo has their offerings in laptops
    Dell only had the P5000 MXM card and everything else was BGA or NGFF
    Most other vendors never had anything in this space in terms of MXM (aetina and others were to be avoided)

2. chrisssj3

chrisssj3 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    How do you know, I don't see a GPU-Z screenshot on the listing of those?
    idk photo's or me colour blind idk. but first link I posted looks kinda blue. 2nd more blackish.

The msi you linked was the only one I found on ebay for 1070 and it clearly states:

"MSI NOTEBOOKS ONLY
    MSI OEM Nvidia GTX 1070 Mobile Desktop GPU
    This will not fit or function on most laptops
    This card will function in a pcie mxm carrier With the proper heatsink
    so please do not purchase intending to install this GPU into a laptop such as clevo or Alienware"

Which does not look good for my clevo laptop. Also it has a strange shape. Which someone in this topic told my to avoid. Not to mention refurbished, which I wouldn't really want. New preferably.

Oh and im going for a 1060 since the 1070 seems a no go. Basicall all other say "dell" in name....

3. Tenoroon

Tenoroon Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well, if you decide to get a 1060, make sure to get the MSI variant, it has a black PCB and should said MSI near the die. See if you can get one for around 300, the most I would pay for one is 350, because at that point, the price to performance ratio becomes small enough to justify buying a new computer.

4. chrisssj3

chrisssj3 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I thought reciever said black pcb means recycled components... well problem is I can't seem to find one that is "approved" by you guys that doesn't look funky shaped and is refurbished...
    By all means please link one that meets your proposed criteria. I'd even buy it even for 400. if I can't get the price down. As for colours I can't for the life see what is black or not esp with alot of these photo's. Im colour blind.

If you could link me one that you comfortable that would work in my laptop. MUCH appreciated.
    I have been trying to get a replacement for 2 years now. And because this indecisiveness I can't seem to make a decision on what I trust to be working in my system, and here still I am. at my final attempt to try to breath in new life in this laptop.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
  5. Tenoroon

Tenoroon Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ahh, forgot “Dell” variants have the black PCB too. Here’s and image of the MSI variant, and here’s a seller selling way overpriced, but offer 300 as i doubt they get those sold at 500, that’s outrageous.

Link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/122874783756?hash=item1c9be8680c:g:0w0AAOSw5dlaPSXs

upload_2021-6-28_17-55-46.jpeg

6. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    You need to stop looking at ebay listings as gospel, they are trying to sell something, if you buy something that doesnt work due to lack of research, you get stuck with the bill, not them.

This forum has done extensive testing on these cards for the same reason you have now, back in 2018.

That seller is being responsible and is only guaranteeing that it will work for a specific intended scenario, where as the other seller just wants to sell. There is no universal MXM card that works in all machines, each machine has its own checklist that must be fulfilled in order to function in a given scenario.

The MSI card obviously works in MSI laptops, but also works in a large number of Clevo laptops and the Alienware 17 R1 and m17x R4, more if you allow for SG mode (Optimus)

MSi only ever had G-Sync and non G-sync card made in that form factor. No other manufacturer used the same design, thus, it is MSI.

Just like how no OEM ever offered Black PCB 1070's, ever. They are merely called "Dell" due to how they report in GPU-Z. You dont see it because I am not going to spoon feed every single detail, I would be here all night pulling links for you to look over and I have other projects I am working on. Suffice it to say, members share information here on the forums.

You are not going to find ANY GPU in MXM form factor new. That outlet DOES NOT EXIST. All the GPU's you find in Pascal i.e. 10XX are all system pulls. So if you dont want touch used items then give up now and sell your machine for something newer.

Tenoroon likes this.
  7. chrisssj3

chrisssj3 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks fort he link
    Wow that price and shipping is outrageous.

The seller's info Will work in the following notebooks...
    Does not exactly comfort me as my model is not mentioned.. and the seller also does not seem to allow returns.

But atleast I got an example, but now I still haven't got something that I can just buy right off the hat... It really seems impossible to find a card that is
    1. Compatible and of good quality.
    2. Seller allows returns, if card is not right.
    3. somewhat normal price (i can try and reduce price of suggested listing.. but kinda pointless if doesn't allow returns.)

Im just about to give up again... Why is this so hard.

8. Tenoroon

Tenoroon Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's difficult because MXM has always been a niche thing, its not like a desktop GPU where you can go to the store and buy it, it was mostly just a "hey, you can upgrade if you want, but don't expect it to be easy" kind of thing. I went through 2 1070's before I got one that worked, and the one that worked was pulled from an MSI laptop so that I could guarantee that it was fully functional. E-bay usually sides with the buyer, so if you buy one that doesn't work, and let hell loose, then there's a good chance you will get your money back. People have gotten the MSI 1060 to work in many similar Clevo machines, and I wouldn't doubt that it won't work for you too.

It would be a bit easier if you had a "newer" Clevo machine that takes the Clevo form factor GPU's, but you don't so it will be a lot harder.

9. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Anything will seem impossible if you dont know the basics in this space, which I think is OP's source issue here.

Tenoroon likes this.
  10. chrisssj3

chrisssj3 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Sellers should know their product though I would think? I mean they dont gain anything if people send it back.. seems strange but yeah I do have some faith in ebay, but I'd rather get something right, right of the bat. Shipping takes a long ass time already.
    So here I am still 2 years later. With no replacement GPU under acceptable conditions. And me or no one else is able to find one :(