Does a non g-sync GPU work in my laptop?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by chrisssj3, Jun 28, 2021.

1. chrisssj3

chrisssj3 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I got a P771-DM-G Clevo laptop and it was made with g-sync. So gpu and screen g-sync.

If one were to replace the GPU, and it were one without g-sync. Would it still work in my laptop? And if so only the g-sync part would not work, obviously? Does it work like this? The listings on ebay for example nowhere mention g-sync at all.

My seller said the N17E-G1 should be compatible for my laptop. I can find listings on ebay but they mention "N17E-G1-A1" Does the A-1 matter?

For all listings on wether 980m or 1060m on ebay and such it is mentioned it should be compatible with the P770DM-G but the P771DM-G is not mentioned. Does this small difference matter? Or is the model so similiar enough it will work.

Would a 2060m or 3060, work nowadays in this laptop?

2. Gumwars

Gumwars Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The display is either Gsync compatible or not. The GPU doesn't change what the display is capable of.

3. Tenoroon

Tenoroon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You will probably need a GPU with a vBIOS that supports G-sync for G-sync to fully work if you decide to upgrade. I would re-post this in this thread so that more people can see it and help you out.

If the 980m's and 1060's you are looking like are the standard MXM 3.0 spec, they should work fine, just stay away from the funky shaped ones.

Anything past the 10 series won't work as the only MXM cards are from Clevo and are shaped weird while needing external power.

4. chrisssj3

chrisssj3 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I honestly dont care for g-sync aslong as the card performs normal. The seller listed these as compatible:
    · GTX 1060 6GB (N17E-G1) - P775DM3-G
    · GTX 980M (N16E-GX-A1-6G) - P771DM-G
    · GTX 980M (DA2-G) - P771ZM
    · GTX 980 Desktop (N16E-GXX) - P771DM-G
    · GTX 970M (N16E-GT-6G) - P771DM-G

But from what you are saying the 1070 like this: should also be compatible..?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3930145112...WuQujciMmlHS2Q%3D%3D|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2047675

5. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    1070 should work but not that one, Clevo needs to be able to read all the sensors for it to permit a successful startup (POST)

I run a 1080 in mine but that takes a lot of work, the MSI 1070 would be your ideal candidate for a more "Simple" upgrade but even then you will need to remove a capacitor as well as M.2 slot.

I would probably stick to the 1060 if you need something right now, otherwise I would consult with google to see if you can find precedent for those other GPU's

Definitely take a look at the modified bios thread, basically anything P750DM-G and up are very flexible on upgrades (CPU and GPU) and you may find additional feedback there (somewhere here in the forums)

6. Tenoroon

Tenoroon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Those 1070's aren't compatible, and even if they were I would stay away from those "Dell" ones. Myself and many others have purchased them and they are hit or miss a lot of the time. The one I bought had many issues and had a cracked die, so again, try to stay away from those "Dell" variants unless you are willing to go through the process of getting your money back if something didn't work.

I would mostly recommend either a Quadro P4000/P4200 mobile or an MSI GTX 1060 MXM. I think you could be able to get the MSI 1070 MXM working, but it would require dremelling the chassis, which is something that not very many would like to do.

7. chrisssj3

chrisssj3 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    What makes you say that the 1070 wouldn't post? The 1070 "seems' the same size layout as the 980m. But appearently you say it wouldn't fit as you'd need to remove some stuff?
    The 1060 is different in that department? If that is true. Then i'd best go with a 1060 I guess.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/393015650016?hash=item5b818ee6e0:g:VHcAAOSwbgVfrtmT This one says "Open box" probably means it has been used?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/164899274505?epid=20037914712&hash=item2664c33f09:g:togAAOSw3mpguzx5 This one suppose to be new.

It doesn't come with heatsink /fan, and I would have to reuse the 980m or source something exclusive for that or..?

8. chrisssj3

chrisssj3 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The listings on ebay basically all say, dell, alienware, clevo. It does not mean it is from Dell I think or exclusively for dell. The link I posted abov even says "DELL Alienware Clevo MSI"
    Are you meaning to say listings that say "EXCLUSIVELY for dell laptops"? But obviously I wouldn't use that as I have clevo.

So im not sure when you say go for an "MSI" gtx 1060 xmx... Since most listings mention msi anyway..

9. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Size layout has absolutely nothing to do with whether a card will work or not. Physical limitations is just one criteria and often the least important.

The motherboard needs to be able to read all sensors that it wants from the GPU, if it cant, it will shut down as it thinks its protecting itself, there is no way around that to my knowledge.

Those "Dell" cards are recycled parts, They are p5000 PCB's with 1070 dies installed. You are welcome to buy it and install, it may very well work but you would be the first where there have been many failed attempts previously. You would be wasting about a month in shipping and returns.

Typically from what I have seen MSi cards are the only ones that tend to work outside of the Clevo OEM offerings. You can get those Dell ones to work I guess but you will be needing to add sensor readouts for the motherboard to then read from which is beyond me personally.

10. chrisssj3

chrisssj3 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Okay okay. Im just curious how you happen to know the 1070 doesn't get read by the motherboard? Experience?

As for the "dell" thing. As I said in my other post. What makes you think these listings are dell? They mention many brands "DELL Alienware Clevo MSI" Why assume it is "just" a "dell" one? Unless you know something I don't?

Show me a 1070 listing that does't have dell in it's name.
    There aren't many on ebay and they basically all say "DELL Alienware Clevo MSI".....
    So there doesn't seem much difference if any at all on ebay.?!

So you think these listings are PURE dell? and not alienware, clevo,msi?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/393015650016?hash=item5b818ee6e0:g:VHcAAOSwbgVfrtmT
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/164899274505?epid=20037914712&hash=item2664c33f09:g:togAAOSw3mpguzx5 T