Dodge RAM 250 Club cab turbo diesel

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by evenflow153, May 28, 2019.

?

What sould I do

Poll closed Jun 2, 2019.
  1. 96 RAM 1500

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Keep the champion

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. evenflow153

evenflow153 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have a 92 RAM 250 and its been to Panama to Alaska and has 334,486 miles. Bought in 2005 and it tows a 2002 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 335RLBS. Runs like a champ and is RUST FREE not rust at all. I mean the shocks are screwed up and help together by positive thinking and duct tape. Thats really it

hmscott likes this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It's always a tough choice letting go of a long running vehicle, especially right after you get it overhauled and running well again to sell it...

Maybe do both? At least until you know whether the RAM 1500 is reliable, and then you can also work on the RAM 250 to fix it up as best you can for the next guy, if you haven't already.

Do you know the new 1996 RAM 1500 is golden? Or is he/she selling it to get rid of it to upgrade? Have they overhauled it for safe / reliable operation, or are you taking over a "project" truck?

334,486 is a lot of miles, but any miles after that you can get are golden. Since it's rust free, maybe keep that classic running as long as you can?

Do you have a link to a similarly configured RAM 1500, so we can see what you are trading to? What about the RAM 1500 makes it better for you than keeping the RAM 250?

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Depends on how much you have to spend to keep it going. A little here, a little there, and before you know it you're upside down spending way more than what it is worth. But, it is tough to let go of a good vehicle and because everything new is ridiculously overpriced it isn't usually easy to find an amazing value in an immaculate second hand vehicle.

But, I think you're on the right track. Let the seller take the blood bath on the massive depreciation and pick up something extra nice for pennies on the dollar... while the sellers works on trying to keep up with the Joneses, LOL. I drive mine until there is nothing left worth saving, then buy something used that is newer with low miles and do the same. Lather, rinse, repeat.

There are lots of older low mileage vehicles in the Phoenix area because of retired elderly people that either pass away or can't be allowed behind the wheel any more. Unless the '96 has crazy low miles and is absolutely immaculate, you might not be gaining too much since it's only 4 years newer and the resale value is similar once they reach that age. If you have to spend as much as what it would take to overhaul the '92, might be better off doing the latter. Otherwise, you'll be doing the same thing to the '96 in a short time.

I answered "keep the champion" only because we don't have any details on the '96 RAM and it's almost as old. I like old vehicles a lot, but there is always the element of risk that you're making someone else's problems go away and jumping from the frying pan to the fire.

Last edited: May 29, 2019
    Convel, hmscott and Arrrrbol like this.
  4. evenflow153

Reputations:
    Ok. My grandpa was offering for his ex police car (the 96 dodge) and has like 55,673 miles. But he lives in Canada and my location is a long ways away so I’ll turn it down until my Rv decides to die then I’ll up for a better truck m

Convel, Mr. Fox and hmscott like this.
  5. evenflow153

Reputations:
    My 92 dodge has or had a busted radiator after thinking off-roading was a amazing idea and I fixed that. Good job me by breaking something I fixed 2 months ago

hmscott likes this.
  6. evenflow153

Reputations:
    Alright. My grandpa gifted the 96 Ram to me and is going to sit dormant in my back yard along with my 91 town car and 89 F-150. My Rv also died and the other day bought a “new” one (2004 Eagle 308 FBS). I now tow that with pcs and sits beside my shed with stuff

hmscott likes this.
  7. evenflow153

Reputations:
    One issue, the RAM 250 was towing a trailer with stuff on it from my storage and unloading it I dropped like 250lbs of stuff on it (notice I had like 2 people there and one was inside) and is like on step away from looking like a 2002 Silverado I scrapped after my trailer hit the tailgate and looked like a mess and I thought to haul like junk from my garage. The trailer wasn’t hooked up properly and a fridge flew into the bed after being on a dirt road and trailer flew up and hit the top so I have to replace the 250s tailgate but I have a guy who has a ton of cars and metal as he might have a tail gate

hmscott likes this.
  8. evenflow153

Reputations:
    Fixed that. Most of those miles built up on it has had a tough time. Usually it’s hauling my camper or I’m using it for quick town trips for hauling crap from the warehouse

hmscott and Mr. Fox like this.