Dock for 9550

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Chris Wood, Apr 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrBuzzkill

MrBuzzkill Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No for 2 reasons. First of all, the 130W power delivery only counts for Dell laptops. Non-Dell laptops will receive 100W max. Second of all, wattages don't work that way. Your laptop doesn't pull 90W from the wall all the time, it only does that when it needs it. In other words, wattage is variable, and while a device may be able to supply 100W or 130W or whatever, the laptop will never take more than it needs. So you will be perfectly fine in that regard. Do note though, that the TB16 is only officially supported on Dell devices. Unofficially, it should work fine, but you may run into random issues.

nosauce likes this.
  2. nosauce

nosauce Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the education! I'll try out the TB16 on my HP Spectre, see how it works.

3. nosauce

Reputations:
    I finally got around to using my TB16 TB3 dock again and realized it's broken. The USB ports don't work (thumb-drive not recognized) and the TB3 port doesn't work either (which I use to connect my 4K monitor via TB3 to DP cable). But it does supply power from its TB3 cable and USB ports. This whole time I thought I couldn't use it because my computer broke (XPS 9550) but everything works fine when I use a different TB3 dock. My 9550 did indeed break -- the dedicated GPU fried (no longer in device manager) and the keyboard and mouse doesn't work sometimes and I have to reboot the computer.

When I first got my TB16, everything was working fine for a couple of weeks with my XPS 9550. And then when my GPU was under load/stressed one time everything just shut down (no BSOD or warnings, just turned off). Clearly, my computer breaking and the TB16 breaking occurred simultaneously and I'm trying to figure out what caused what -- did my computer breaking cause the dock to break? or did my dock cause my computer to break? Maybe a 1 cord solution overloads the whole system (having one TB3 cord both power the laptop and connect all the peripherals). There's a lot going on in that small cord.

@MrBuzzkill and @Xanius I was wondering if you can give me an update on how your TB16 is working out. No issues? Do you mind giving me some details on how you use it? Is the TB16 the only thing connected to your laptop (are you using a power adapter as well?). What do you have connected to the dock? Which laptops have you used the dock with? Can you be more specific about how long you've been using the dock?

@MrBuzzkill did you end up getting a 4K monitor? If so how did you connect it to the dock? @Xanius uses the DP for his/her 4K monitor and it seems everything works fine. I'm wondering if using a TB3 to DP cable may have caused all this?

The reason why I'm asking all this is because Dell's sending me a new TB16 and I'm wondering how I'll use it. If I use it with my XPS 9550, I wouldn't want the same thing to happen again. I would like to use it with my new HP Spectre (90W power adapter). I understand it's not a Dell approved device, but as far as I know the TB16 is still the only dock out there that provides >90W of power (100W for non-Dell devices as @MrBuzzkill pointed out). Since my broken TB16 still provides power, I tried plugging it into my HP Spectre and it seems to power and charge the device fine. When I plug in the CalDigit TS3+ which supplies up to 85W of power, my HP laptop keeps switching back and forth between battery mode and plugged-in mode (without anything plugged into the dock). And when I plug in the external monitor it keeps recognizing and unrecognizing it as it switches from batter to plugged-in mode. Things seem to work fine when the laptop is plugged in using the power adapter.

4. g.achrainer

g.achrainer Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I tested the TB16 with a Spectre x360 here in our office, works just fine, but ASMediaUSB Driver has to be installed (no USB on Dock otherwise).

Edit: of course, the Powerbutton on the Dock is Dell-only, as with all Thunderbolt docks.

nosauce likes this.
  5. nosauce

Reputations:
    That's good to hear. Is the TB16 powering the Spectre (i.e. power adapter is not plugged in?). Are any monitors attached to the dock? If so, how? (e.g. 1x4K monitor using displayport)

6. g.achrainer

g.achrainer Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    We had a 38" Screen (U3818DW, not a 4K screen),
    LAN, Headset, Keyboard & Mouse connected, tested for a Day. Single cable on the Thunderbolt connection of the HP, everything worked as expected.

nosauce likes this.
  7. nosauce

Reputations:
    Nice. Thank you. This is very helpful. I'll probably just go for it and try it out since I got the extended warranty. :)

8. Jff007

Jff007 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey, so I'm using a TB16 with my XPS 9560. No overload issues here. Been plugged into that dock only for about a year straight.It's the only cable going into the XPS for me.

Connected to the dock is a lot of stuff: a Dell S2417DG Monitor running 1440p @ 144Hz, a wireless mouse/keyboard dongle, an Xbox controller dongle, Ethernet, a USB-C external SSHD Enclosure running a Seagate 2TB drive, and the monitor's USB Hub (which has a USB headohones set, a printer, a USB 3.0 Toshiba 1 TB drive).

nosauce likes this.
  9. nosauce

Reputations:
    Wow, sounds like it's been fully loaded. This is reassuring. Thanks.

10. MrBuzzkill

MrBuzzkill Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes I did buy one. I am running an LG27UK650 4K monitor and a secondary 1080p monitor. Combined with ethernet, a Coolermaster Mechnical Keyboard, a G502 Mouse, external Samsung 840 Pro SSD, external 2TB harddrive and a M40x headphone and I have no issues whatsoever. The 4K monitor is connected via a DP1.2 cable and the 1080p monitor via a normal HDMI cable.

nosauce likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.