Dock for 9550

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Chris Wood, Apr 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nosauce

nosauce Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I no longer recommend the CalDigit TB3 dock as the will not perform to its full potential when only powered by this device. This is a dealbreaker for me as a 9550 owner and I'm returning the product. The moral of the story is don't ever listen to me.

I can confirm this. Long story short, under heavy load plugging in the power cord solved issues I was having when only powered by the my CalDigit TB3 dock (only 85W). I was getting better performance when getting the full 130W power.

pressing likes this.
  2. nosauce

Reputations:
    How do are you connecting the dock to the 60Hz 4K Monitor. I'm planning on using the mini display port. Do you by any chance know if it works at 60Hz?

TB16 should be arriving in a couple days any advice on how to get it to work? i.e. what drivers to install? The reviews seem to indicate that it takes some work setting it up. I'm hoping since I got one TB3 dock to work that TB16 will work out of the box.

3. MrBuzzkill

MrBuzzkill Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Setting up is really easy. Just update your TB3 firmwares before using the TB16 (since no TB3 devices can be connected during updating). Install the latest TB3 drivers + all the drivers for the TB16. Then it's just plug and play. Additionaly, you can enter your BIOS to change the TB3 security settings if you want less connectivity hassle.

From opening the package to having the TB16 working took less than 15 minutes for me.

Actually, the most time was spent on positioning the TB16 due to the awkward cable placement in Dell's design choices.

nosauce likes this.
  4. Xanius

Xanius Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My current monitor is hooked up via display port on the monitor to display port on the dock and I would have to assume that the mini display port would work the same way. I did try HDMI from the monitor to HDMI on the dock and that would only get me 30Hz, but going from the monitor to the HDMI directly on the laptop would get me 60Hz. From everything I have read you can only get 4K 60Hz on one display, so if you are going to try two of them you will likely only get 30Hz.

As far as getting is setup it literally was plug and play, but you should make sure you have your TB3 firmware updated as stated above.

nosauce likes this.
  5. Xanius

Reputations:
    Both versions of the TB16 will work outside of the US just like a notebook power supply works with voltages up to 240V. The difference is how much power can be supplied to the dock and therefore supplied to your computer. From what I understand going with the 180W version should be good for notebooks requiring 65W or less, but anything above that would require the 240W to ensure your notebook was able to receive the full wattage through the TB3 port.

nosauce likes this.
  6. nosauce

Reputations:
    Thanks for the advice. My TB16 arrived a day early. I installed all the firmware/drivers from the XPS 9550 support site and from the TB16 support site. Everything seems to be working fine. Most importantly the laptop is performing at its full capacity. I'm browsing and doing office stuff on my external 4K monitor whilst simultaneously playing a video on my laptop screen and it's handling the multitasking well as is the case when I have the laptop powered by its original power adapter. With the CalDigit dock, frames were being dropped and the playback was choppy. So the power delivery on the TB16 must be better (i.e. 130W as @MrBuzzkill pointed out). I have my 4K monitor connected at 60Hz via the TB3 port (TB3 to displayport cable)

Upon reading the reviews my only concerns are...
    1. The dock's fan can get really loud? I can't stand noise.
    2. The TB3 cord can become damaged through wear and tear over time and it's irreplaceable. The cord is proprietary and Dell doesn't sell it separately. I'll plugging it in and out a lot so hopefully mine will last.

7. MrBuzzkill

MrBuzzkill Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Personally I haven't had that many issues with the fan in the TB16. Sometimes it turns on, but 90% of the time it is off for me (though, I haven't tested it yet with a 4K monitor). As for the cable, it is replaceable, but finding one takes some time. I can see they are currently available on eBay for 30 euro. That said, the cable seems pretty study to me, so I recon it can handle some plugging action.

nosauce likes this.
  8. Xanius

Reputations:
    Once in a while I can hear the fans spin up for a second or two, but it really does not happen often. As for the cable I have plugged and unplugged the cable at least 4 days a week for over a year now and do not see any wear on it. I am really happy with my TB16 and I do not think that there is anything else on the market that can compete with it.

nosauce likes this.
  9. nosauce

Reputations:
    Your responses are reassuring. I'll be returning my CalDigit dock. 15% restocking fee + shipping fee... I should have bought it on Amazon.

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  10. nosauce

Reputations:
    Just bought a HP Spectre x360 and am testing it out. I'm wondering if it's okay to use it with the Dell TB16 (240W) Thunderbolt 3 Dock. My primary concern is that the TB16 delivers 130W of power. But Spectre power adapter is only 90W. Will using the TB16 on the Spectre damage the laptop? Any alternative TB3 dock that is more appropriate for the HP Spectre? @MrBuzzkill what do you think? Thank you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.