Dock for 9550

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Chris Wood, Apr 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Wood

Chris Wood Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi.
    I am looking for a docking station for my 9550.
    Ideally I would like it to power my laptop as well so I only have the one cable going to the dock and all my other peripherals plugged into it.
    Does anyone have any recommendations?
    It must have dual monitor output as I may be using 2 additional screens in the future.

I have seen the Kensington dock below, but unsure if this powers the laptop, and don't know which connection it would use:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kensington...id=1524984692&sr=8-1&keywords=kensington+dock

Chris

2. MrBuzzkill

MrBuzzkill Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you want to power your laptop while allowing full performance, and also able to drive multiple screens...well your only option is going to be the TB16. The WD15 is also an option, but doesn't allow that many screens. Any other dock is either not going to charge your laptop, be limited at charging your laptop (while also lowering performance of your laptop) or not going to be able to display many screens.

The Kensington dock you posted is going to run everything over a single USB 3.0 port, not being able to charge your laptop. You will be getting a lot of lag on your screens, as well as poor data transmission speeds.

You really want something that uses your Thunderbolt 3 port, which allows for much higher speeds as well as having dedicated (DisplayPort) lanes for using external monitors.

3. Chris Wood

Reputations:
    thank you

4. nosauce

nosauce Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    See @MrBuzzkill post above (unlike what I did).

Being able to power the 9550 at 130W with the TB3 cord is critical to the laptop's maximum performance. I did not realize this. The regular power cord delivers 130W.

The CalDigit TS3 Plus Thunderbolt 3 Dock only delivers 85W of power which is fine for regular use, but for heavy use (e.g. gaming, multiple display playing video / multitasking on another screen) the laptop will underperform if powered solely by the TB3 cord.

Other than that, the device specs are impressive, gets good reviews, and was very reliable based on my limited (1 week) use. It's capable of supporting two 4K displays at 60Hz or one 5K display.

I bought mine on the CalDigit's website, but they also sell it on Amazon and B&H. They're on backorder. There should be an estimate on when the next batch will ship out on CalDigit's website. I'm assumed CalDigit gets first dibs so I ordered it there at the beginning of the month and it arrived a few days ago.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  5. Chris Wood

Reputations:
    Thank you very much for your in depth reply

6. MrBuzzkill

Reputations:
    Just to note, the 84W is not enough for full performance of the XPS 15. You will need the full 130W for that. If you don't do any heavy workloads (both CPU and GPU at the same time), you should generally be fine. But if you are gaming, you should go with the TB16 / WD15. These are the only TB3 docks that support 130W charging on our XPS 15s.

nosauce likes this.
  7. nosauce

Reputations:
    Thanks for pointing this out. This is important! I wondered if the 85W < 130W mattered. So without the full 130W my laptop won't perform to it's full potential? Now that I think about, I did notice that when I had a video playing on one screen and doing office/web browsing on the other screen, the video play was having some trouble and things were laggy on the other screen. Could it be because there's not enough juice from the power source? That's not cool. Not cool at all. I'll compare performance with power cord vs only TB3 power. @Chris Wood - I may have spoken too soon.

The 4K only at 30Hz is a deal breaker for me with the WD15. @MrBuzzkill Have you tried out the TB16? works well?

8. MrBuzzkill

Reputations:
    I have a TB16 yes, no issues so far. Though I only have a single 1080p screen connected to it now and a bunch of USB stuff. Gonna buy a 4K screen soon.

9. Xanius

Xanius Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have been using the TB16 240W with my 9560 for over a year now and have had no issues even while gaming while docked. I was using 2 x 1080p monitors, but just recently switched them out for 1 x 4K monitor which runs great at 60hz. Only having to plug 1 cable in is amazing!

nosauce likes this.
  10. nosauce

Reputations:
    That does it. I'm switching to TB16. Are there multiple versions of TB16? Does 240W mean that it's for a region that's outside the US?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.