Do you think that laptop screens with 240Hz or 300Hz are a gimmick?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Peto Pedro, Dec 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Best for what purpose? Certainly not best value :) 43 inch is great for productivity for sure though.

2. Peto Pedro

Peto Pedro Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    All rounder ...
    hate when ppl saying ooh no no I don't want to play gaameees only for ''cooonteennt creeatooor''
    yeah right ... bull-crp ! in reality they using one monitor for everything...

3. etern4l

Reputations:
    You are missing the point. If a monitor is an all-rounder, it's not necessarily best for every application.

For example, this wouldn't be the best choice for competitive online shooters (too large, refresh rate too low)
    It also wouldn't be the best display for watching movies and HDR content, because it's not OLED (obvious reasons).

However, I think this would be an excellent monitor for productivity, but then do you need 120/144Hz for productivity? Not really. in fact I looked at this monitor at one point and the $1000 premium vs 60Hz options wasn't worth it for me.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  4. Peto Pedro

Peto Pedro Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I disagree
    1.I play on mine 65'' 4k@60 CoD or cyberpunk perfectly.. and may ppl with PS5 and xboxes play shooting games on from 55'' to 75'' tvs so don't understand why this wouldn't not be??? Refresh rate too low??? re u out of mind??? 144Hz os low?? man please you really talking crap... So PS5 and xbox is useless now becuse it has max up to 120HZ u wanna say??? Man just stop the non-sense. pleasee..
    2.Didn't u hear them, that watching moves is perfectly fine?? And who watch boring usa films toady ?? noone.. there is no any new PROPER movies anymore.. Everyone are just sitting in front of youtube...
    Only draw back is the price...

5. etern4l

Reputations:
    OK, yeah this is probably great for CoD or console gaming..
    I meant eSports kind of competitive shooters like CSGO. The optimal monitor for that is 24 inch 240Hz+ TN - ask any pro.

Also I assumed we are talking about desk displays - a 65 inch TV on a desk would be nuts. No one does that.

When you say that the only disadvantage of an IPS display is its price, it sounds like you have never seen OLED in action.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  6. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  7. Peto Pedro

Peto Pedro Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    This is the biggest monitor which supports amd free-sync and g-sync... Only that's why I pulled this out...
    I am searching for great 4k@120 or that 144Hz is completely enough .. Above refresh rate is nonsense..
    24'' is little even 30'' I had Acer 4k@60 27'' time ago and it was just off all the time didn't use it..
    Looking for either 4k@120 55'' LG Nano90 but it has only free-sync not g-sync...
    Edit:
    About friends OLED TV ; he was playing game normally and suddenly his tv shown vertical lines across the whole screen and tv doesn't work anymore.. He is now waiting for an LG engineer to check it..

8. etern4l

Reputations:
  9. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I think we're done here ...
    Charles

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.